Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Elementary schools in Gush Etzion

amother

Post Mon, Nov 05 2012, 3:04 pm
We are interested in Gush Etzion area for when we make aliyah.

What can anyone tell me about the different elementary schools in the area?

Any information will be helpful.

hila

Post Tue, Nov 06 2012, 1:06 am
In Gush Etsion (as oppose to Efrat) there is one Ezori school. It is religious and anyone from the area is accepted. There is also Reishit in Rosh TSurim (AFAIK it is meshulav - special ed and regular kids together) and it has a good reputation. It is frum but I dont know what kind. I imagine Mamad too.

There is also a Talmud Torah in Bat Ayin, open to anyone in the area.

In Efrat there is Aseh Chayil - open to mainly Efrat residents. (mamad and a good school)

There is also Orot Etsion - Mamad torani (where my kids went) they use shitat Barkai and start from Gan Chova age with what is called mechina. They accept from all over Gush Etsion.

My youngest child is now in 12th grade, so my information may be out of date a bit.

Lots of Olim kids in both schools in Efrat. Mostly English speaking olim.

etky

Post Tue, Nov 06 2012, 2:31 am
hila wrote:
In Gush Etsion (as oppose to Efrat) there is one Ezori school. It is religious and anyone from the area is accepted. There is also Reishit in Rosh TSurim (AFAIK it is meshulav - special ed and regular kids together) and it has a good reputation. It is frum but I dont know what kind. I imagine Mamad too.

There is also a Talmud Torah in Bat Ayin, open to anyone in the area.

In Efrat there is Aseh Chayil - open to mainly Efrat residents. (mamad and a good school)

There is also Orot Etsion - Mamad torani (where my kids went) they use shitat Barkai and start from Gan Chova age with what is called mechina. They accept from all over Gush Etsion.

My youngest child is now in 12th grade, so my information may be out of date a bit.

Lots of Olim kids in both schools in Efrat. Mostly English speaking olim.

Reishit is a particularly good option for kids who are not in special ed but who nonetheless a bit "out of the box" - their approach is more creative and the overall atmosphere is a bit less structured than in other schools. They take kids from all over the Gush & Efrat too.

hila

Post Tue, Nov 06 2012, 4:49 am
However I dontknow how much support there is for "regular" kids who dont speak Hebrew.

If you are olim - I strongly recommend letting your kids learn as much Hebrew as possible before september. (apart from age 3 and under who seem to absorb it automatically)

chanchy123

Post Tue, Nov 06 2012, 5:10 am
My kids go to the 1-3 grade regular mamad. We had been very happy last year, this year there is a new principle and we're still waiting to see how things are going. It's a huge school but we really feel that every kid gets personal attention to his or her strengths and weaknesses. It has mixed gender classes, the 4-8 grade schools are seperate, a boys school and a girls school.

There is also orot Etzyon in Efrat. It's a semi-private school, I know it's hard for kids outside Efrat to get in and they prefer kids who went to their kindergartens. It has seprate girls and boys schools and they learn according to a special system.

Reshit, is also a semi-private school and it's an "open" school it also mainstreams special-ed kids and many of the students are kids who would not excel in a regular school setting (kids with ADD, and other issues). it is VERY hard to get into the school, they give siblings prefrence. I know a lot of people who want their kids to go there.

Bat Aying - Talmud Torah and girls school. I don't know too much about these schools we tried to find out about the boys school for DS. They are more of chardal schools.

There is also Achai in Tekoah which is a mixed - religious and non-religious school, also more open, they have animals etc on premasis.

etky

Post Tue, Nov 06 2012, 7:21 am
chanchy123 wrote:
My kids go to the 1-3 grade regular mamad. We had been very happy last year, this year there is a new principle and we're still waiting to see how things are going. It's a huge school but we really feel that every kid gets personal attention to his or her strengths and weaknesses. It has mixed gender classes, the 4-8 grade schools are seperate, a boys school and a girls school.

There is also orot Etzyon in Efrat. It's a semi-private school, I know it's hard for kids outside Efrat to get in and they prefer kids who went to their kindergartens. It has seprate girls and boys schools and they learn according to a special system.

Reshit, is also a semi-private school and it's an "open" school it also mainstreams special-ed kids and many of the students are kids who would not excel in a regular school setting (kids with ADD, and other issues). it is VERY hard to get into the school, they give siblings prefrence. I know a lot of people who want their kids to go there.

Bat Aying - Talmud Torah and girls school. I don't know too much about these schools we tried to find out about the boys school for DS. They are more of chardal schools.

There is also Achai in Tekoah which is a mixed - religious and non-religious school, also more open, they have animals etc on premasis.

...and of course Aseh Chayil, the mamad school, if you end up in Efrat.
It's a good school, one of the best in the country of its genre, and has won many awards for excellence over the years. It also has a small petting zoo on premises that is incorporated into the curriculum, especially that of the "kitot tikshoret" - (kids with communication disorders) which, btw, is an area it pioneered and specializes in.
As it is a mamad, there is no problem getting in, residence in Efrat being the determining factor.

lech lecha08

Post Sun, Jul 31 2016, 3:08 am
chanchy123 wrote:

I know this a pretty old thread.
Anyone know if the Reishit information is still true?

chanchy123

Post Sun, Jul 31 2016, 5:42 am
lech lecha08 wrote:
I know this a pretty old thread.
Anyone know if the Reishit information is still true?

Funny you should ask, because the past couple of years they opened four first grade classes. This year they're back down to two classes for first grade. It's worth applying they might have an opening. However chances are not very high.

lech lecha08

Post Sun, Jul 31 2016, 8:31 am
chanchy123 wrote:
Funny you should ask, because the past couple of years they opened four first grade classes. This year they're back down to two classes for first grade. It's worth applying they might have an opening. However chances are not very high.

It wouldn't be kita alef. We'd want to transfer in an older kid.
Oh well
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions