Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Obviously new-parent question about leftover birthday cake

amother
Coral

Post Mon, Aug 01 2016, 7:50 am
How much of the leftover cake do you let your toddler have?

Normally, in my family while growing up, the birthday kid got to choose where they wanted their first slice from, then helped my mother serve slices to the rest of the family. Leftovers were eaten as dessert after dinner over the next day or two, again with birthday kid deciding which cut side they preferred and then continuing from there for siblings.

Kidlet just turned 1 and eats solids, but is a lot more fond of carbs and protein than she is vegetables. On her birthday, fine- I let her eat as much of her cupcake (which she chose) as she wanted, but right now there's only her and dh and I to eat the remaining servings before they go stale. I feel funny eating most of it behind her back, since officially it's her cake- but on the other hand I'm her mother and I don't know about letting her demolish a cupcake a day (literally demolish- probably 3/4 ended up on her clothes or the floor), especially since she did get the initial one that she really wanted. Please reassure me it's my job as her mother to make sure she eats a reasonably balanced diet!

Also, can I freeze buttercream-frosted cake until Shabbos?

amother
Rose

Post Mon, Aug 01 2016, 7:55 am
Yes you can freeze it.

You don't have to feel guilt at all IMO. That's a cute tradition but by means does everyone do it and I'd say your mother didn't establish it till her kids were old enough to know.

PAMOM

Post Mon, Aug 01 2016, 8:05 am
You're a sweet mother, but the kidlet doesn't know it's her birthday and won't remember if she had cake once or five times. Start the tradition in 2-3 years or when you have a kid 2.

notshanarishona

Post Mon, Aug 01 2016, 8:10 am
a 1 year old doesn't understand the concept of a birthday anyways. giving them 1 piece is fine.

amother
Coral

Post Mon, Aug 01 2016, 8:20 am
Thank you all! You're right- she won't remember this in another month let alone by her next birthday. I think the thread about whether "mommy treats" are ok got me thinking.

naomi2

Post Mon, Aug 01 2016, 8:37 am
throw it out!
theres no mitzva to finish birthday cake!

amother
Coral

Post Mon, Aug 01 2016, 8:50 am
naomi2 wrote:
throw it out!
theres no mitzva to finish birthday cake!

I never said it was unwanted! Just that (a) I'm old enough to understand I don't get dessert unless I've eaten my vegetables and (b) If I can freeze it, there's dessert for Shabbos all ready!

mommy3b2c

Post Mon, Aug 01 2016, 11:06 am
Are we talking about a 1 year old?

WastingTime

Post Mon, Aug 01 2016, 11:09 am
I wouldn't worry about her sitting on the therapist's couch in 20 yrs talking about how you betrayed her by eating her rightfully deserved cake. Eat it and enjoy it. You were the one who did the hard work this past year!
It'll probably last in the fridge, but for sure wil in the freezer.
Mazal tov and enjoy!!!

flowerpower

Post Mon, Aug 01 2016, 11:25 am
I hope you aren't serious. The cake for a one year old is for the mom. The kid has no idea what hit her at this age. The mom does it for her pleasure. Kidlet won't know or care how much cake she ate. Eat it and enjoy it guilt free.

self-actualization

Post Mon, Aug 01 2016, 12:31 pm
My kids didn't develop memory until around 2-3 years old (some earlier, some later). Until that time I would say keep your child healthy, well nourished, held a lot, giggle with the kid, bathe him/her fairly often, make sure he/she gets sleep, etc. But I don't think they process other nuances just yet.

Why don't you share the birthday cake with your neighbors? I'm sure they would love it. Or just send it in to your husband's yeshiva or workplace - it will be gone in half an hour.

amother
Aqua

Post Mon, Aug 01 2016, 12:41 pm
I would slice then freeze.
That way if you only want to take 1 slice out at a time you can.
I've done this many times with leftover shabbos cakes that guest bring.
I've even served the already sliced cake on a pretty platter to other guests. They never knew it was frozen.

pointyshoes

Post Mon, Aug 01 2016, 12:53 pm
With a year old, I'd give a slice on the birthday and then eat the rest with dh over the next few days. They dont know the difference and if she'll demolish it anyway you may as well enjoy it!
Dont listen to the poster who said to throw it out- throwing out a buttercream frosted cake is probably bordering on criminal!

naomi2

Post Mon, Aug 01 2016, 2:45 pm
I'm sorry, I took a narrow perspective on this one and couldn't imagine that you would want cake lying around that would eventually get eaten because
A. I personally don't like cake
B. others in my house are trying to stay away from cake.
that being said enjoy it guilt free-your child will not be traumatized.

amother
Coral

Post Mon, Aug 01 2016, 2:53 pm
naomi2 wrote:
I'm sorry, I took a narrow perspective on this one and couldn't imagine that you would want cake lying around that would eventually get eaten because
A. I personally don't like cake
B. others in my house are trying to stay away from cake.
that being said enjoy it guilt free-your child will not be traumatized.

No worries! I think I wouldn't have made a full-size cake 6 months ago when I was still trying to lose baby weight. Right now I can afford the calories but need an incentive to eat more vegetables- and maybe if I'm eating enough vegetables to hit my targets, my toddler will take an interest in something besides tomatoes and soup-carrots.

greenfire

Post Mon, Aug 01 2016, 3:37 pm
it's kidlet's party ~ let her eat the whole cake

Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics