Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
How to expain to 3 year old to be careful with strangers

amother
Ivory

Post Mon, Aug 01 2016, 6:44 pm
recently in the news I have heard stories about strangers offering kids candy in order to come with them. My innocent 3 year old daughter has no concept of strangers being bad and would do anything for candy and I don't want to say things to cause her to have nightmares and be scared although I want her to know its dangerous and never to go with someone who offers candy or tells you to come. How to you approach this topic of safety rules with a youngster?

HelloG

Post Mon, Aug 01 2016, 6:47 pm
When would a three year old be unattended?? In which scenario?

amother
Wine

Post Mon, Aug 01 2016, 6:53 pm
Story books. I like Let's Stay Safe (which is a Jewish book). Also the Berenstain Bears book about strangers is really good, they detail the rules and why they're important while also emphasizing that there's no need to walk around scared of everyone and everything.

amother
Ivory

Post Mon, Aug 01 2016, 7:11 pm
In the park when a parent is nearby watching from a distance but also watching other children. In any case it's important for them to know

amother
Tangerine

Post Mon, Aug 01 2016, 7:27 pm
At three, she shouldn't be out of your sight except maybe at playgroup. You only send to a playgroup that you trust and research. You can educate at appropriate times (like when she is getting in PJs or into the bath) that her body is private and no one is allowed to touch or look at her undressed. In my family, I include siblings in that, but I know some people think that is extreme. I don't let my children have their diapers changed in front of other siblings and say to everyone, "___needs to learn that her body is private. Everyone go out of the room, the same way that we let you have privacy for your body when you are changing." I think this method makes them have ingrained awareness of their own boundaries so that if Chas vshalom if something happens, they know right away just how bad it is and that they should speak up. You can also say things like "I love you no matter what, and nothing is too terrible to tell mommy. I am always here for you." I don't think you have to get more explicit than that at age 3. If you had suspicions about her specific school, take her out!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers