Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Would you let your 7-year-old watch your 3-year-old?

amother
Forestgreen

Post Tue, Aug 02 2016, 1:16 am
Right now, my older kids are still out of the house and I have only a 7-year-old and a 3-year-old at home all day. Would you take a nap and leave them playing together? Or is 7 too young for that responsibility? I'm in my 9th month and beyond exhausted these days and so desperate to lie down sometimes.

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Aug 02 2016, 1:19 am
Sure. If you are in the house, I think thats fine. Just let your 7 year old realize that if s/he really really needs you, you are available.

sourstix

Post Tue, Aug 02 2016, 1:20 am
Why don't you lie down on the couch where they can see you if they need you and you can be there if they need you. I'm ram bling. I'm tired. Don't lock your self into bed and be out of view. Is your 7 yr old mature?

amother
Ecru

Post Tue, Aug 02 2016, 1:25 am
I would and I do, but with my 6 year old, not my 7 year old. My 6-year old is more mature in that way Smile

Sometimes it's not really a conscious choice, I collapse on the couch and CAN'T stay awake.

greenfire

Post Tue, Aug 02 2016, 1:27 am
I think it's fine for them to play together, as long as you are nearby

gold21

Post Tue, Aug 02 2016, 1:31 am
If you're accessible to them while you're sleeping (sleeping on the couch, or in the next room with door open), then I think it's totally fine to have them play together, assuming you don't place the 7 year old in the position of being the babysitter. They're both little, they can play together while you're sleeping as long as you're easily accessible, but one is not babysitting the other. B'shaah Tovah!

flowerpower

Post Tue, Aug 02 2016, 1:35 am
Lock your doors. Warn the 7 year old not to open the door for anyone. Prepare toys for them and snacks and nap on the couch where they can be seen and heard.

amother
Oak

Post Tue, Aug 02 2016, 3:14 am
My 8 year old watches my 18 month old for a few minutes so I can go to the bathroom in peace.

Sometimes on Friday afternoons if I'm still in the shower when DH has to leave for shul then he'll leave the 8 year old in charge until I come out.

Is your 7 year old responsible enough to watch the 3 year old? Does she mind? Is your 3 year old generally a good kid or a troublemaker? Will he listen to his older sibling? Is your home toddler-proof? Well, no home is toddler-proof because they come up with the most outlandish ideas that you never considered, but is your home mostly a safe place for children to play? Are you a light sleeper? Just some things to consider.

amother
Copper

Post Tue, Aug 02 2016, 3:24 am
I don't have a 7 year old yet. But I have a 3 year old. And honestly, if my doors are locked, I'd let her watch herself while I nap. She's mature and I'd take out toys and entertainment in advance. Obviously every child is different but I really can't think of a single reason that she can't entertain herself for an hour

baby12x

Post Tue, Aug 02 2016, 3:33 am
If you're accessible, then why not?

freedomseek

Post Tue, Aug 02 2016, 4:01 am
amother wrote:
I don't have a 7 year old yet. But I have a 3 year old. And honestly, if my doors are locked, I'd let her watch herself while I nap. She's mature and I'd take out toys and entertainment in advance. Obviously every child is different but I really can't think of a single reason that she can't entertain herself for an hour

Imo s three year old is never mature enough to care for him/herself!
Maybe you can doze lightly near them but not any more than that.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Tue, Aug 02 2016, 4:27 am
Thanks for all the replies. The 7-year-old is quite happy to watch his little brother - he feels very grownup when I ask him to. The 3-year-old is a typical 3-year-old - unpredictable, usually pretty good but comes up with crazy ideas sometimes, etc. If I sleep on the couch, he'll be all over me and try to sleep with me, but sleeping in my room with the door open can work.

chani8

Post Tue, Aug 02 2016, 5:23 am
freedomseek wrote:
Imo s three year old is never mature enough to care for him/herself!
Maybe you can doze lightly near them but not any more than that.

I think a 3 yo can play by herself while mommy naps, if the house or room is child proof.

If the 3yo is able to get out of bed in the night, then technically speaking, we're letting her watch on herself all night unsupervised.

amother
Aubergine

Post Tue, Aug 02 2016, 5:31 am
I think it depends more on the 3 year old than on the 7 year old. Some of my 3 year olds were watchable by a 7 year old and some weren't. If he's likely to get into trouble or have a naughty idea it's really too much to expect of a 7 year old to talk him safely out of it. Sometimes it's too much to expect of a grown mommy to talk him safely out of it Wink.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Tue, Aug 02 2016, 6:08 am
I would never leave my 3-year-old alone while I nap. He does get out of bed at night but always comes straight to my bed. He's full of creative ideas, and while my house is childproof and he's usually safe, I would never trust him. I don't trust my 7-year-old to talk him out of his nuttiness either, but he can wake me up before things get out of hand.

amother
Amethyst

Post Tue, Aug 02 2016, 7:30 am
I took a shower the other day and left my 5 year old with my 2 year old. I locked all the doors, told him not to open it no matter what, set him up with toys and said, "I am going to take the quickest shower ever. My door is unlocked, so come bang on the bathroom door if you need me.
It was at most 10 min, but I really needed it!
In general, I agree with other posters--that in the house it is fine. Now out of the house...don't you dare.

amother
Vermilion

Post Tue, Aug 02 2016, 8:40 am
forsure! why not? my 5 year old "watches" my 2.5 year old all the time

lfab

Post Tue, Aug 02 2016, 9:18 am
As long as the 3 year old is not a particularly adventurous child who is likely to get into or do something dangerous, sure. On shabbos afternoon my husband and I often leave my 7, 6, and 4 year old playing while we go nap. They know not to open the doors for anyone and to come get us if they need something. As long as you're in the house and they know that they are allowed to come to you if needed then it's fine. A 3 year old is not a baby that needs constant supervision.

cbg

Post Tue, Aug 02 2016, 9:24 am
Go get a nice deserved. Nap
Just leave snacks and toys out for them
And make sure no matter what the 7 yr old knows to get you.
Not to solve the problem on his own
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics