Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Breakfasts/lunches/snacks

amother
Lemon

Post Mon, Aug 01 2016, 1:42 pm
How old are your children? Do they make their own breakfasts, lunches, and snacks, or do you? During the school year who does it? On the one hand I want my kids to be independent, on the other hand, I want them to feel cared for. What do you think?

lfab

Post Mon, Aug 01 2016, 1:53 pm
Right now my kids are still pretty little (oldest is 7) so I, or my husband, prepare their meals/snacks. Breakfast the older ones can usually do for themselves since it's just cereal and milk. Other meals, including during the school year, are prepared by us.

m+m

Post Mon, Aug 01 2016, 1:59 pm
My DD (age 4) gets to pick out her snacks I prepare everything else. We have a bin full of packaged snacks (pretzels, popcorn, chips, fruit snacks, apple sauce, Corn Pops, etc) and she gets to choose two and I pack a healthy snack, drink, sandwich.

Regarding breakfast, she gets to choose yogurt or cereal every day.

amother
Bisque

Post Mon, Aug 01 2016, 2:10 pm
My kids r 5 and 3. I pack their lunch and snacks daily. They pick their lunch the night before so I know what to make since they r picky. (Think soups....garlic bread...noodles...etc no sandwiches)

amother
Lemon

Post Mon, Aug 01 2016, 11:51 pm
Anyone else?

amother
Mistyrose

Post Tue, Aug 02 2016, 12:24 am
My oldest is almost 11. The 4 year old and up usually do breakfast more or less on their own (cereal and milk).

Lunch the 6 year old and up do on their own (usually toasted bread with cheese). They have to first show me that they are capable of safely using the toaster and sandwich maker. They will also sometimes make their own sandwiches (PB&J etc.).

Snacks are usually self-serve - all fresh fruits and vegetables are freely available, and they can open a can of something (usually corn, chickpeas, or baked beans) with permission. They sometimes eat it plain or add spices to it (with some supervision).

My kids are very good eaters, so this can work for us. It makes it much easier for me because otherwise I am never finished making breakfast or lunch. Serving supper to bottomless pits wears me out enough!

seeker

Post Tue, Aug 02 2016, 12:39 am
Kids are 3 and 5. I do it all, sometimes dh, but I've started involving them in menu planning and training them to clean up after -after school they need to empty their lunch bags, containers in the sink, clear out trash, etc.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Aug 04 2016, 9:22 am
Meals at home are the parents, except sometimes my oldest will make a salad or a small dish.
Whatever is school, is school.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children