Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
St luois vs Chicago

twogees

Post Thu, Aug 04 2016, 11:27 am
We were offered jobs in both cities for September. The st luios job came up today...we really need a cheap place to live but a warm community as well. So if anyone knows about either or both communities and can tell me about the schools, shils and community in general, that would be great...

amother
Burgundy

Post Thu, Aug 04 2016, 11:35 am
Cost of living in Chicago will be a lot more expensive than St Louis.
You can get a house in Chicago for about 400,000.
Tuition in Chicago is about 10K

Community is much larger but I think small enough that you won't feel lost. Neighbors are usually very close and friendly.

Lots and lots of Shuls to choose from. Chassidish, yeshivish, litvish, heimishe, etc.

There are 2 main girls elementary schools and 3 main boys schools. There are also more modern orthodox options as well.
More conveniences in Chicago such as kosher grocery, delis bakery. There are a handful of restaurants as well.

I can't speak for St Louis because I really don't know much about it.

mha3484

Post Thu, Aug 04 2016, 11:58 am
I love Chicago. I think it is a nice mix of big city conveniences with a warm and friendly community. It is very middle of the road in terms of cost of living. There are rentals and things to buy. What I like is that there is a big mix of condos, townhomes, houses and really big houses so most people can find something in their price range. There are lots of rental options as well.

I have a child who is starting pre 1 a in the boys division of Bais Yaakov and did the nursery program last year and it was a very positive experience. He is not the easiest child and the teachers put so much effort into him and really truly cared about helping him be successful. The full tuition is in the 12k ball park but when I did financial aid it was a super respectful process. They asked me what I can afford and that was what I got billed. There was no drama bli ayin hara.

I also really like that there is not a lot of social pressure. It might just be my friends (younger, broker, more yeshivish) but I have seen like 5 bugaboos in my life. Most of us don't do elaborate Mishaloch Manos or go on expensive vacations etc. If you want that you can find it for sure but its not everyone.

amother
Burgundy

Post Thu, Aug 04 2016, 12:15 pm
I agree with mha. I feel zero social pressure.
I think in some parts of the community you can feel the pressure more but you need to choose the right circles so you feel like you fit in.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating