Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Wheezing persists, what could it be?

amother
Teal

Post Sat, Aug 06 2016, 10:21 pm
YES WE ARE UNDER A DOCTOR'S CARE. He has assured me that this could wait until after shabbos so we'll be seeing him tomorrow. I just like to hear from others who may have had similar experiences to get an idea of what the possibilities are and what to expect.

DD (5 1/2) occasionally got some asthma after a cold. It hasn't happened in a long time. Last week she had a cold and then on Wednesday I took her to the doctor and she also had strep, asthma, and a possibility of pneumonia on top of it all. We got a pile of prescriptions and by the next day DD felt much better and has looked fine since. But she's still wheezing even after three full days of maximum dose of prednisone, antibiotics that were supposed to zap any possible pneumonia, and frequent albuterol nebulizer treatments.

On Friday I talked to the doc who said to give the albuterol even more often and if she's still wheezing by Sunday we should get her to a pulmonologist. As of late tonight she still seemed to be wheezing before her nebulizer, after it seemed a lot better but I'm not at all sure it was gone even after the nebulizer. I'm going to have the regular doc listen to confirm in the morning but my hunch is we're going to need the pulmonologist after all.

I'm a little spooked by this whole thing of not responding enough to the treatments. Does anyone have a clue what could cause that or what they will do about it? I don't even know how one finds a pulmonologist on such short notice. Hope doc can help with that.

amother
Taupe

Post Sat, Aug 06 2016, 10:52 pm
The doctor will want to first make sure that it's actually wheezing. Also look for signs of respiratory distress like retractions, blueness around the mouth, low o2 sat, high respiratory rate etc. I suspect if your child was in actual respiratory distress you'd be in the ER by now and not on imamother.

You most likely will not be able to get in to a pulmonologist immediately. A pulmonologist will help develop a long term asthma management plan that may include a daily inhaled corticosteroid and/or other medications. For the short term, if there is still wheezing the doctor may give more prednisone but if the child is not in danger he may tell you to wait until you see the pulmonologist.

debbie321

Post Sat, Aug 06 2016, 11:40 pm
are you using a nebulizer that rakes around 20 minutes? ask ur dr to prescribe an optichamber, it delivers albuterol much faster( after each spray, child has to inhale 6 times) and less of a chance of medicine getting lost

rachel6543

Post Sun, Aug 07 2016, 12:35 am
Can't give specific advice, but hope your little one gets well soon! I also have asthma and it can be quite scary. But for me, usually a breathing treatment and/or prednisone is all I need when I have a bad flare up, which is quite rare these days. Again, hope she gets well soon! keep us updated and let us know what the doctor says.

tweety1

Post Sun, Aug 07 2016, 12:47 am
May sound weird, but my mother just related to me that she hasnt had an asthma attack in a very long time. Her insomnia is also very much under control. Shes says its better since 3 weeks after starting vit d. My pcp claims vit d is a miracle vitamin.

amother
Green

Post Sun, Aug 07 2016, 3:06 am
When did you start the treatment?

DD is pre-asthmatic and her doctor told us to start using a nebulizer at the first sign of a cold so that she won't even progress to the wheezing stage.

It often takes longer to clear up an issue that to prevent it from happening in the first place.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Sun, Aug 07 2016, 3:37 am
DS had an asthmatic cough beginning at age 2 1/2 which showed up when he had a cold. At that time the pediatrician prescribed steroids and also albuterol plus pulmicort by nebulizer.
It didn't help enough.
We saw a pulmonologist who put him on daily singulair. Also prescribed albuterol and flovent with an optichamber. He hasn't needed steroids since and rarely needs the optichamber.

amother
Lavender

Post Sun, Aug 07 2016, 8:06 am
It could still just be pneumonia. When my toddler had pneumonia, they said it could take 5 days for her lungs to clear (and that was with antibiotics and steroids), and she had a mild case and she doesn't even have asthma. So it could be that her lungs haven't fully cleared out yet. And in a few days she'll be totally fine.

From the other side, as someone with asthma, it could be she needs regular inhalers. Although nebulizer treatments are great for opening everything up, they are not good for round the clock asthma management. I have asthma that is triggered by being sick or by allergens - I needed to take 2 kinds of inhalers and regular allergy meds every day (more than once a day) as a kid to keep my asthma under control. So it's possible that she does have asthma and will need to use inhalers regularly, because they are much better for long term care than lots of steroids (e.g. prednisone or nebulizer treatments).

But, it could just be that she's still recovering from a minor pneumonia, and in a few days she'll be just fine! Do follow up with a pulmonlogist anyway though, just in case it's the beginnings of asthma.

Refuah Shleimah!

greenfire

Post Sun, Aug 07 2016, 9:11 am
it could be the high humidity levels ...

cbg

Post Sun, Aug 07 2016, 9:22 am
THIS IS NOT INSTEAD OF TREATMENT

Feed her kiwis, lots, 15 a day, take 5 kiwis blend them and let her drink it, make ices, lots and lots of kiwis. Until kiwis is coming out of your ears.

Again

amother
Fuchsia

Post Sun, Aug 07 2016, 10:22 am
My dd 5 also tends to get asthma triggered by a cold or other infection.

During the wheezing and for some days after, she is prescribed albuterol 2-3 times as needed.

But the dr. insisted it's super important that she take QVar in the inhaler 1-2 times per day on an indefinite basis. This has really seemed to help as far as preventing the attacks.

Also, when the wheezing is still bad even with both of these, he'll prescribe the oral steroid prednisolone for 5 days, once per day.

He even wrote out a prescription for me to keep the medicine on hand, just in case she'd need it at a time when the office was closed (like fri. night, which actually happened)

Refua shleima, hth
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics