Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Tick Checks
1  2  Next

amother
Teal

Post Mon, Aug 08 2016, 5:10 am
Did you teach your children to make tick checks after a day out in the woods? Do you check them yourself?

I would like to talk to my kids about it but just wondering, what about those difficult to reach areas?

amother
Teal

Post Mon, Aug 08 2016, 11:41 am
bump

gp2.0

Post Mon, Aug 08 2016, 11:43 am
Depends on age.

amother
Teal

Post Mon, Aug 08 2016, 1:28 pm
10 and 12

PAMOM

Post Mon, Aug 08 2016, 1:37 pm
I check heads, arm pits, and behind knees. When they hit 6-7, I tell them to check public area (tops of leg where legs meet body) and I wait outside bathroom while they do.

amother
Teal

Post Mon, Aug 08 2016, 1:46 pm
PAMOM wrote:
I check heads, arm pits, and behind knees. When they hit 6-7, I tell them to check public area (tops of leg where legs meet body) and I wait outside bathroom while they do.

Thanks. Do they just check visually, or feel? What about the buttock area that they can't see?

PAMOM

Post Mon, Aug 08 2016, 1:48 pm
Visually. They can us a mirror to look at pubic area if necessary. Buttocks --good question. I never checked there. Use whatever tick repellent your pediatrician recommends too!

amother
Teal

Post Mon, Aug 08 2016, 1:52 pm
PAMOM wrote:
Visually. They can us a mirror to look at pubic area if necessary. Buttocks --good question. I never checked there. Use whatever tick repellent your pediatrician recommends too!

We don't live in a tick infested area so this has never come up before but it may be an issue over the summer this year. We will be using a tick repellent. Do you do the checks even if you've used a repellent?

About the tick checks - I'm just not sure how I feel about suggesting they 'examine' their private's with a mirror. Confused

PAMOM

Post Mon, Aug 08 2016, 2:00 pm
Definitely do them every day if there's any chance they could picked one up. They can use a mirror to check the area where the legs meet body while wearing underwear. The place that's tough is public hair. My dd was good about checking when she started getting it but ds wasn't and then found a huge, fully engorged tick attached . I had to look but had him put on underwear and push it to one side, covering his genitalia. I had to get the tick off but I wore a surgical glove that I had.
Tick-borne diseases are common and serious. It's good that you're concerned. It takes a tick 24 hours of being attached to cause disease, but the tick can hide on the body and not be attached, then attach a day later so keep
checking.

sequoia

Post Mon, Aug 08 2016, 2:03 pm
amother wrote:

About the tick checks - I'm just not sure how I feel about suggesting they 'examine' their private's with a mirror. Confused

CLEARLY, Lyme disease is better. Please, carry on.

amother
Teal

Post Mon, Aug 08 2016, 2:26 pm
sequoia wrote:
CLEARLY, Lyme disease is better. Please, carry on.

OP here. Thanks for rubbing it in Sequoia Mad I must've forgotten the reason for my daily misery. Yes, I am a Lyme disease sufferer hence I'm trying to find out the best way to go about protecting my children. But I guess you couldn't have known that.

sequoia

Post Mon, Aug 08 2016, 2:31 pm
My sympathies. In that case, all the more reason to toss prudishness overboard. It's not like you're telling them to look at others' private parts. You're telling them to look at their own. It's okay.

When I stayed in a high-tick area, my hosts reminded me daily to examine myself in a full-length mirror.

amother
Oak

Post Wed, Jun 05 2019, 5:49 am
I'm confused. Many sites suggest checking between legs, which would be fine. But some suggest checking actual genital area. (And I know an adult that had a tick there). The problem is that I don't feel comfortable checking my 10 year old there. But he said he won't check it with a mirror. (And honestly, I'm not even sure he'd look very carefully, and they are really hard to spot.)

Wondering what all you moms do when you do a tick check on kids that are like 10.

nchr

Post Wed, Jun 05 2019, 6:41 am
A 10 year old can check themselves but honestly dont go overboard. I've found ticks on myself and my children countless times and never in the genital area BH. We usually just see them on the exterior of our clothing. The most common area I've found them has been on my childrens scalps.

amother
Papaya

Post Wed, Jun 05 2019, 6:49 am
nchr wrote:
A 10 year old can check themselves but honestly dont go overboard. I've found ticks on myself and my children countless times and never in the genital area BH. We usually just see them on the exterior of our clothing. The most common area I've found them has been on my childrens scalps.

this! how do I check thru my kids head full of thick hair and make sure I spot if there's anything there? and tick can be really tiny....

thunderstorm

Post Wed, Jun 05 2019, 6:55 am
amother [ Papaya ] wrote:
this! how do I check thru my kids head full of thick hair and make sure I spot if there's anything there? and tick can be really tiny....

Unfortunately I found a tick (and a big one) on my son's head when I was giving him a haircut. A year later he was diagnosed with Lyme disease and I have a feeling it was from that tick.
Since then I keep my boys haircuts really short in the spring and summer and cut their hair more often .
Majority of the time I've found ticks on the hairline by the ear.
Also a few of my kids had ticks in the groin area. Just spreading their legs and looking down made it easy to spot.
Each one of my kids has complained of an "itchy pimple" and when we looked closer we discovered it was a tick. Sometimes they feel it right away. This happened many times .

seeker

Post Wed, Jun 05 2019, 9:16 am
OK I'm getting a little freaked out by the idea that ticks can hang out in the genital area. Never heard about that happening before and yet in one thread we have two people reporting this. Yikes. I guess now I know.

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Jun 05 2019, 9:19 am
I have a flea and tick shampoo for my dogs, and it stuns the ticks enough that you can just wash them off in the shower. It kills the fleas, and makes the ticks let go.

Ask your pediatrician if it's safe to use on kids. If they don't want to check all over, then you could at least have them use it as shampoo and body wash.

amother
Powderblue

Post Wed, Jun 05 2019, 9:39 am
I live in an area known for ticks and we do quite a bit of hiking. I tend to only check after we go on a hike in a wooded area. I still check my 7 & 9 year old girls, but probably should start having my 9 year old check herself. I take a quick glance at their privates. For my older boys, I have them check each other's backs. We have found two engorged ticks one was behind the ear and the other was on my son's nipple.

amother
Cyan

Post Wed, Jun 05 2019, 9:50 am
Tick bites are itchy, most times my kids tell me when they have a tick before I notice!
In my backyard, we treat the grass to avoid ticks!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics