Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Really disturbed by this

amother
White

Post Tue, Aug 09 2016, 1:12 pm
I saw this video making the rounds on Facebook and I'm really upset that any conscientious parent could like it. Even if you think it's ok to discipline in this manner, the part where the cop says "it's never OK to call the police on your mother" is chilling, and teaches kids to ignore their instincts. This is how abusers get away with it. Sure, teach your kids when it is and is not appropriate to call police, and of course teach them respect and discipline them. But this video and it's messaging is wrong and dangerous!

cnc

Post Tue, Aug 09 2016, 1:20 pm
This is very disturbing.

I agree with you.

greenfire

Post Tue, Aug 09 2016, 1:33 pm
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1299368/

this is from a melodramatic tv show ... this child was obviously taking advantage of 'abuse' laws when making this claim

in real life - there is a balance between knowing when something is the truth ... I do NOT believe or condone hitting ... but we must empower all people to seek the truth and speak the truth

amother
White

Post Tue, Aug 09 2016, 1:40 pm
I understood that it was obviously acted (though had no idea it was from a TV show). But this clip specifically is being shared, and in a "now that's how to show them brats who's boss" kind of way. The way it's being presented, as if this is a healthy or refreshing message to send is deeply problematic. In this day and age, the LAST thing you want is for kids to think they can't seek help because "it's my relative/teacher/rabbi".

BinahYeteirah

Post Tue, Aug 09 2016, 3:00 pm
It's a meme, not a psa. Don't take it too seriously. Any idiot can make one and share it.

amother
White

Post Tue, Aug 09 2016, 3:04 pm
BinahYeteirah wrote:
It's a meme, not a psa. Don't take it too seriously. Any idiot can make one and share it.

I understand that. I'm not upset it exists, as it's clearly dramatized. I'm disturbed that people are sharing it as a meme and saying this is the way to deal with kids, that "kids today" are spoiled, etc.

greenfire

Post Tue, Aug 09 2016, 3:08 pm
any person would have to look out of the box of that show

of course these things really happen

abused children will feel hurt / abused parents will feel hurt
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics