Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Green on the collar of my white shell??

amother
Bisque

Post Tue, Aug 09 2016, 2:41 pm
My white cotton PBJ shell gets green around the rim of the collar. And it usually comes out in the wash but recently it is didn't completely. Does anyone know what is causing this?? I just bought 2 new white shells and they aren't cheap and I want them to last. Idea, tips, thoughts for me?
The last time it happened, I was wearing a blue chinnel snood, could that be related? If so, what do I do?

ra_mom

Post Tue, Aug 09 2016, 4:33 pm
amother wrote:
My white cotton PBJ shell gets green around the rim of the collar. And it usually comes out in the wash but recently it is didn't completely. Does anyone know what is causing this?? I just bought 2 new white shells and they aren't cheap and I want them to last. Idea, tips, thoughts for me?
The last time it happened, I was wearing a blue chinnel snood, could that be related? If so, what do I do?

It could be a reaction to sweat. Or just from your snood.
Either way, try to take our the stain with dawn original blue dish soap. Make the garment wet with cold water, spread on some dish soap, let it sit for a while, then scrub it out.
If that doesn't work, maybe use Rit color remover, made for all white garments.

greenfire

Post Tue, Aug 09 2016, 4:36 pm
sounds like sweat ... use baking soda with your detergent

wear only once

ariellabella

Post Tue, Aug 09 2016, 5:24 pm
Is there any chance there is a green elastic inside the collar?

naomi2

Post Tue, Aug 09 2016, 5:27 pm
I get that when I wear fake jewelry with a shell on.

Amarante

Post Tue, Aug 09 2016, 6:55 pm
Classic ring around the collar. I am old enough to remember that commercial with the taunting sing song. Whisk around the collar beats ring around the collar. 😀😀🎙

Make a paste of detergent and let it sit before washing. It's a mixture of grease, sweat and dirt. It is green because there might be a chemical reaction in your body.

Also try one of the bleaching products that is safe for delicate fabrics. Again, let it sit on the discoloration before washing.

amother
Bisque

Post Tue, Aug 09 2016, 10:03 pm
OP here. Do you all suggest I do this each and every time I wear a white shell? How soon does it need to be done? How many white shells do you all own? Sound like a patchke, but a necessary one... White shells are such a staple in my wardrobe!

Amarante

Post Tue, Aug 09 2016, 10:08 pm
Is the shell dirty. In summer I would assume you are washing every time you wear anyway.

Nit really a patchke as many people to a pressing with a spot cleaner anyway. Not very different than ding a hand wash

On white items, the laundry stuff that takes out stains in delicate whites works pretty well with minimal work. I am always pleasantly surprised when spots come out because I seem to collect spots in odd places.

zaq

Post Tue, Aug 09 2016, 10:25 pm
hang the shirt to fry before putting it in the laundry basket. Is this a pain? A bit, but worth it.

Scratch that--I do not cook my shirts, especially not before they're thoroughly laundered. I hand them up to dry--slowly, through natural evaporation--though I know people who do set their dryers to "flash-fry".

Last edited by zaq on Wed, Aug 10 2016, 2:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Coffee

Post Tue, Aug 09 2016, 11:53 pm
I buy cheap white shells
From basic colors I think they cost 10
It's hard to get white shells clean so I won't buy expensive white shells

amother
Bisque

Post Wed, Aug 10 2016, 12:51 am
Do they have cotton? I thought they only have lycra...
I find their necklines to be wider, which is a problem. But I haven't tried one in years. What has your experience been? Can I order from them online?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry