Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
What does fasting mean?

amother
Floralwhite

Post Wed, Aug 10 2016, 9:24 am
Dependent on context. I get the distinction between shiurim on Yom Kippur (to make the issue d'rabanan) and shiurim on Tisha B'Av (no point, since the fast itself is d'rabanan).

But when I was given a psak to drink in shiurim last YK, it was only to drink- not eat. I was just given a psak not to fast at all this Tisha B'Av, but to drink and eat as I feel is necessary. Are drinking and eating the same prohibition, such that if you're allowed to do one you're automatically allowed to do the other? I have a rav to ask the practical questions, but he's too busy to explain the halachic basis and I'm still interested in why I'm doing what I'm doing.

amother
Salmon

Post Wed, Aug 10 2016, 9:38 am
Not sure about the details of your individual psak, but it may have to do with what's medically necessary. For most people going without drink for 25 hours is more dangerous than going without food.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Wed, Aug 10 2016, 11:00 am
In my case- both times- I'm nursing. Then it was a newborn (though not quite new enough for me to be considered a yoledet), now it's a baby who eats solids but won't drink enough water. If anything, eating would have made a difference on YK. Now I think water should be enough, but the rav said aside from that I could eat if I need to.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions