Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Can my 4 month old start eating solids? Which ones?
Previous  1  2  3

gp2.0

Post Wed, Aug 10 2016, 4:06 pm
gold21 wrote:
I think we can agree on the 4-6 month suggestion to begin solids.

The fact that some moms skip ahead is not a reason for other babies to be deprived when they are ready.

A range of 2 months seems perfect, as opposed to an exact age of 6 months.

The 4-6 mnth recommendation was in place since I had my first child as I recall. Not sure what has changed then.

Additionally, any medical article that blames a host of adult issues on having started solids a few weeks earlier as an infant, seems silly and one track minded, particularly since there is no data backing it up.

Found a better source this time. Many linked sources at the bottom of the article as well.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pm.....5680/

Quote:
Some studies suggest that introducing solid foods too early may lead to increased risk of chronic disease such as islet autoimmunity (the pre-clinical condition leading to type 1 diabetes), obesity, adult-onset celiac disease, and eczema; and introduction too late may increase feeding difficulties. In addition, early introduction to solid foods may lead to poor nutrition outcomes such as low iron stores by displacing energy rich and highly bioavailable iron in breastmilk, and increasing the risk of diarrheal disease

Quote:
Recent studies have demonstrated the important of early feeding—both timing and amount—in the development of metabolic problems in adulthood. Cotrell and Ozanne describe the programming for obesity and adult metabolic diseases such as hypertension, diabetes, and coronary artery diseases as possibly resulting from both underfeeding and overfeeding in early infancy
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics