Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
At wit's end! ds 5.5 does not fall asleep before 11 pm!

OMG!

Post Thu, Aug 11 2016, 10:38 pm
what can I do naturally so this child becomes tired and falls asleep a little earlier! I dont like giving melo chew on a regular basis and dont have any other solution. he also sleeps very tight and bed-wets. but thats a separate case I think. my friend just told me that her dr recommended giving a small piece of melo chew for 2 weeks the same time every day and then stop so the body can start producing melotonin on its own at at that time of the day. should I try that? anyone else in my boat? im so tired

mamamia1

Post Thu, Aug 11 2016, 10:43 pm
Good luck
I wouldnt automatically think his deep sleeping and bedwetting are unrelated to him having a hard time falling asleep. They are possibly/ probably related First step is to check with pediatrician.

Wishing you some sleep

Last edited by mamamia1 on Thu, Aug 11 2016, 11:55 pm; edited 1 time in total

OMG!

Post Thu, Aug 11 2016, 10:55 pm
mamamia1 wrote:
Good luck
I wouldnt think his deep sleeping and bedwetting are unrelated. First step is to check with pediatrician.

Wishing you some sleep

yes I do think deep sleeping and bedwetting are related. but nothing to do with hard time falling asleep.

amother
Aubergine

Post Thu, Aug 11 2016, 11:15 pm
I would recommend speaking to a pediatric endocrinologist before giving your child hormones. I know a lot of parents do it but it can have negative side effects.

I would recommend getting a weighted blanket from a place that deals with sensory issues. I've had sleep issues since I was a small child and it helped tremendously. It's like my brain cannot shut off its internal stimuli unless there's a weighted blanket "feeding" my sensory need. (if you do go this route, obviously put a cover on it to protect from bedwetting. Although washable, I can't imagine having to wash it every day. I got mine from sensacalm online, but I never tried any other so it's possible there are other great places out there that sell this.)

ETA: one other thing that I've noticed- my ability to fall asleep correlates significantly with how late I ate dinner. If you want him sleeping by 8, see what happens if you stop giving him larger meals at night, or no later than 4 pm.
I know I'm not a professional, but I'm someone who's struggled for much of my life with insomnia, and these are the things that have helped.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children