Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Dairy & Pareve Meals
Has anyone ever used haloumi cheese?

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Jun 20 2016, 1:58 pm
Not looking for anything too fussy. Thanks!

Last edited by PinkFridge on Mon, Jun 20 2016, 3:44 pm; edited 1 time in total

mha3484

Post Mon, Jun 20 2016, 2:04 pm
You can cut in cubes, bread and fry it and its a delish topping for a salad.

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Jun 20 2016, 2:20 pm
mha3484 wrote:
You can cut in cubes, bread and fry it and its a delish topping for a salad.

I've come across this. I'm not ready to patchke and would prefer not to add too much if any fat. I'll file it for another time. Thanks!

animeme

Post Mon, Jun 20 2016, 2:29 pm
Shish kebab, like it was meat.

little_mage

Post Mon, Jun 20 2016, 2:31 pm
Sliced it, and put it untreated on a grill pan. We then dipped it in some sauce (I think I made a peanut one), but you could probably use just about anything, including prepared marina...

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Jun 20 2016, 2:32 pm
How about no grilling, maybe light frying or baking? All my grill stuff is fleishig.

water_bear88

Post Mon, Jun 20 2016, 3:32 pm
We tried it once a couple of months ago- I think we baked it.

mha3484

Post Mon, Jun 20 2016, 3:36 pm
I have this on my to try list maybe you can take the idea and adapt it for your kitchen equipment. http://www.thekitchn.com/recip.....05022

I would probably use a store bought pesto because I am lazy.

skyblue1

Post Mon, Jun 20 2016, 4:00 pm
I cubed it and fried it in a nonstick frying pan and it was really good. I did not need to add oil.

champion

Post Tue, Jun 21 2016, 9:06 am
Its basically a frying cheese.

LittleRed

Post Tue, Jun 21 2016, 9:28 am
I love it in a sandwich or panini, lightly fried then salted with veggies. Avocado, tomato, cucumber, haloumi on fresh bread is absolutely delicious. Spread a teeny layer of cream cheese on the bread first if you really want to go crazy 😉

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Jun 21 2016, 2:02 pm
LittleRed wrote:
I love it in a sandwich or panini, lightly fried then salted with veggies. Avocado, tomato, cucumber, haloumi on fresh bread is absolutely delicious. Spread a teeny layer of cream cheese on the bread first if you really want to go crazy 😉

That sounds fantastic.
Thanks, everyone. I cubed it, sprayed a pan, sprinkled onion powder and oregano on it, and pan fried, stirring, for a few minutes.
Easy light supper with salad and roasted potatoes.

greenfire

Post Tue, Jun 21 2016, 8:35 pm
sounds interesting ... never heard of it

but now I crave some breaded & fried in olive oil with a nice garlic marinara sauce

studying_torah

Post Tue, Jun 21 2016, 8:42 pm
what does the actual cheese taste like? And if it's fried or frilled, does it get stringy like mozzarella, or creamy?

greenfire

Post Tue, Jun 21 2016, 8:48 pm
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halloumi

claims it's similar to mozzarella only saltier and won't melt so it's easy to brown when frying or grilling

Mrs Bissli

Post Tue, Jun 21 2016, 8:58 pm
Actually it's somewhat rubbery texture, that's what makes it good for frying or grilling. It's not salty at all like feta. Rather mild flavour. I usually panfry a few pieces with sprinkle of mint, no oil in a nonstick pan, make a pitta sandwich with sliced tomato, lettuce or cuke. Goes very nicely with pesto or fried aubergine or roasted peppers.

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Jun 22 2016, 7:52 am
studying_torah wrote:
what does the actual cheese taste like? And if it's fried or frilled, does it get stringy like mozzarella, or creamy?

Pretty mild, tastes like mozzarella. Kind of like the tofu of cheese (and I mean this in the best way possible).

Teomima

Post Wed, Jun 22 2016, 9:15 am
A REALLY yummy way to cook it is to cut it into cubes and stick them in muffin tins. They basically fry in their own fat, no need to add a thing. I like sticking it on the grill in the pan but I suppose you could briefly bake it at a high temp, or broil it this way, too.

thinking mom

Post Fri, Aug 12 2016, 2:53 am
I've used them in salad a few times, both breaded and plain. If you bread them, I found that flour plus spices work better than bread crumbs - the crumbs fell off. But honestly, they were best just cubed and lightly fried. One thing: you have to eat them right away. One Shavuos I tried reheating them (I only had a hot plate, not a flame), and it didn't work well.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Dairy & Pareve Meals