Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Do you give maaser if you are in debt and/or taking tzedaka?

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Tue, Aug 09 2016, 4:59 pm
Subject line says it all-are you supposed to give maaser if you are in debt (shouldn't any extra money you have go to paying off your debt)? What about if you get tzedaka money yourself?

amother
Gray

Post Tue, Aug 09 2016, 5:02 pm
No

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Tue, Aug 09 2016, 5:04 pm
amother wrote:
No

Is this the halachic position or what you happen to do? Sorry, I should have been more clear in my original question.

And is there a difference in the two scenarios I posed (one being in debt and the other taking tzedaka) or is the answer to both of them no? And are you ALLOWED to give tzedaka if you are in either of those positions or do you just not have to?

notshanarishona

Post Tue, Aug 09 2016, 5:08 pm
No one on here is a Rabbi. Every situation is different.
For example, if you have a debt that you have a payment plan to pay $100 a month for the next 12 months , there is no problem with giving tzedakah with other money .
I have also heard some people getting tzedakah money who were advised to give maaser and some not.
Ask your LOR.

amother
Gray

Post Tue, Aug 09 2016, 5:41 pm
amother wrote:
Is this the halachic position or what you happen to do? Sorry, I should have been more clear in my original question.

And is there a difference in the two scenarios I posed (one being in debt and the other taking tzedaka) or is the answer to both of them no? And are you ALLOWED to give tzedaka if you are in either of those positions or do you just not have to?

You asked what I would do. I don't pas ken shailos that's not my position.

amother
Plum

Post Tue, Aug 09 2016, 5:56 pm
AYLOR!

amother
Periwinkle

Post Tue, Aug 09 2016, 6:59 pm
Another "talk to your Rav" answer here.

According to our Rav, we could/should give 1% and keep a calculation of how much we should have given to maaser, for if/when our situation changes.

But although we are in debt, and getting (indirectly) tzedakah, we do give maaser. We have seen a lot of bracha from it, I.e. we have seen that more money comes in when we give it, and less when we don't. (I used to resent the maaser, but I watched our income decrease when we tried using that money to pay off debts, and literally as soon as we went back to giving maaser, that day's income was quadruple the day before. We still are tight and underwater, but I don't think that skipping maaser is good for us.)

It also may or may not make a difference that our debt (not to mention our expenses) exceeds our annual household income, so it's not like maaser is making it or breaking it.

amother
Hotpink

Post Tue, Aug 09 2016, 7:04 pm
Growing up our shul rabbi was rabbi kaganoff. He spoke about putting aside the Masser $ and if you are the poor family that needs it. So be it. But that you should be accustomed to calculating and separating maaser, which he holds is the actual mitzvah

He writes about this and brings sources in this article

http://rabbikaganoff.com/how-d.....akah/

Ruchel

Post Fri, Aug 12 2016, 3:50 am
We don't give maasser unless fully independent (not social aid either). Tzedaka is a must for all unless you'll c'v starve etc. Ask what you are obligated in.

amother
Pink

Post Fri, Aug 12 2016, 4:20 am
We put aside maaser all the time even while in deep debt and even when receiving tzedaka money.
It's exclusively used for tzedaka.

We see lots of bracha since we started it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions