Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
Does your 4yr old daughter wear legging outfits?

amother
Cerise

Post Thu, Aug 11 2016, 7:04 am
I gave DD an outfit with leggings today and she had a crying tantrum that she doesn't want to wear it. at first I tried to convince her "becuz of 9 days, and I'm short of outfits...." she wouldn't have it. so I gave her a skirt.

wondering why she wouldn't want to wear an outfit with leggings? I don't think kids in her playgroup/daycamp are wearing leggings anymore but do 4 yr olds really know the difference?

DrMom

Post Thu, Aug 11 2016, 7:10 am
Maybe she doesn't like tight-fitting clothing.

Maybe it's too hot to wear leggings.

Why don't you ask her?

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Aug 11 2016, 7:12 am
My DD always wears skirts, but she will never wear tights underneath, only leggings. For her, it's a sensory thing.

I agree, you should ask her what it is about leggings that is bothering her.

cm

Post Thu, Aug 11 2016, 7:13 am
Did she say why?

Four years old is not too young for wanting to wear what the other kids have, but more likely the outfit is itchy or hot or the wrong color or something only she would notice or understand (but is very important to her).

amother
Cerise

Post Thu, Aug 11 2016, 7:14 am
it wasn't leggings, it was capris. thin cotton. could be it's too hot for her.
I asked her why but she was too upset to tell me. she kept repeating "I don't want to wear pants".

I'll ask her again when she's calm after daycamp.

bookie

Post Thu, Aug 11 2016, 7:16 am
She for sure knows the difference. One daughter stopped wearing pants at 2 and half. Both my daughters were picking their own outfits at 3. If no one or almost no one wears pants of course she wont want too.

amother
Orange

Post Thu, Aug 11 2016, 7:21 am
My four year old would never wear leggings or capris out of the house that's considered pants (by themselves. If the leggings are long enough and she wears socks over them then she would do that. )She'll wear them for pjs.
Even when she was three she would say that.

amother
Aubergine

Post Thu, Aug 11 2016, 7:35 am
My four year old definitely has an opinion about her clothes. She is not consistent though. For weeks at a time she only wanted to wear dresses/skirts to be like her Mommy and older sisters. Then there were weeks that my daughter was in love with leggings - she thought they were cool. Since she said she doesn't want to wear pants, rather than saying it is uncomfortable, I would guess that it has nothing to do with sensory and more to do with her preference to either:
1) fit in
2) feel or look big, or
3) be like her other older female role models.

Right now my daughter likes dresses, but will wear skirts, but not ones with the pants attached underneath because they don't feel good to her.

amother
Cerise

Post Thu, Aug 11 2016, 7:37 am
amother wrote:
My four year old definitely has an opinion about her clothes. She is not consistent though. For weeks at a time she only wanted to wear dresses/skirts to be like her Mommy and older sisters. Then there were weeks that my daughter was in love with leggings - she thought they were cool. Since she said she doesn't want to wear pants, rather than saying it is uncomfortable, I would guess that it has nothing to do with sensory and more to do with her preference to either:
1) fit in
2) feel or look big, or
3) be like her other older female role models.

Right now my daughter likes dresses, but will wear skirts, but not ones with the pants attached underneath because they don't feel good to her.

dd also has a skort and she gives me a hard time wearing it. I always wondered why.

flowerpower

Post Thu, Aug 11 2016, 7:38 am
My dd stopped wearing pants at age 2. She refused. I had a hard time in the winter. I had to force her to wear it then.

sky

Post Thu, Aug 11 2016, 7:41 am
4 year old 100% know the difference if they are the only ones wearing. And all it takes is one kid to say something about her pants.

I have a 4 year old and she is her own fashion designer. She goes out in the craziest of outfits and sock combinations. I let her even though most kids in town are dressed to the nines in designer matchy outfits. she feels so gorgeous and for now her bunkmates think so as well. LOL

amother wrote:
dd also has a skort and she gives me a hard time wearing it. I always wondered why.

my 4 year old told me it is much more difficult to change into her bathing suit while wearing a skort. She really doesn't like it.

2cents

Post Thu, Aug 11 2016, 8:20 am
My daughter refused to wear pants at three. Being that she was so little, I often did "make her" wear capri leggings under her dress during the summer when playing in the park and riding her bike, explained that it's too hot for tights (at her age), and she's too small to stay tznius while she plays and that everyone can see her legs and underwear and it's not nice.

amother
Cerise

Post Thu, Aug 11 2016, 8:31 am
I am so happy I gave her a skirt in the end without insisting she wear what I gave her. I usually do give a choice of outfits but now I'm running low. I already washed once this week but I didnt put in everything. I didn't want to do another load. now I will, which I think is fine for a 4 yr old.

gp2.0

Post Thu, Aug 11 2016, 8:32 am
My youngest DD began refusing legging outfits at age 2.5 lol. She only wants skirt or dresses. She'll tolerate leggings underneath if it's cold. But "I can't wear pants! That's too silly!" 😂

My older DD was totally fine with legging outfits and still likes wearing shorts or leggings under skirts sometimes at age 6.5. So it really depends on the kid.

JustAFrumMom

Post Fri, Aug 12 2016, 7:09 am
My DD (who is now 5) has been in only skirts since age 3 also. She will wear leggings underneath. And she wears jersey shorts under them in the warm weather. They are very thin material and keep her from flashing her panties (which she does a bit less at age 5, but it still happens). Since I started giving her the Jersey shorts, she will not wear a skirt without something underneath it. She insists because "my panties will show and everyone will see." I forgot them one day when I was really ill and dressing her for school. She was very mad at me when she got home.

I think a concept of tznius sets in somewhere between ages 3 and 5 usually. Maybe she is doing other things that show it? Running around naked at home a bit less, closing the door when she goes to the bathroom, not dressing in front of Abba or brothers? I think if you ask her at a later time, you may be able to get a good answer. In the moment, she may have been afraid that her answer would not be good enough to get out of wearing them. It could have been as simple as she didn't like that color that day.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers