Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
No AC and fasting?! Vent

amother
Periwinkle

Post Sat, Aug 13 2016, 11:29 pm
We are away for a few days. Unfortunately its abnormally hot here. Usually we would need a light sweater in the summer here. I have a fan, but its not enough. I feel like I am so drained already from the heat over shabbos. Had it not been a fast, I would just pack up and go drive home tomorrow.

Dh may have a place to spend the day tomorrow with air conditioning. I can't bring my kids there. Not sure if I would be able to even fast until the morning.

I feel really bad because I originally felt that since there is a fast we shouldnt go. Especially since I dont fast well.

amother
Cerulean

Post Sat, Aug 13 2016, 11:48 pm
So sorry! Are you in the U.S.? Is there an area that you could safley say you normally don't need air conditioning in the middle of August in the states? Either way, wishing you and your family an easy and meaningful fast.

amother
Powderblue

Post Sat, Aug 13 2016, 11:51 pm
amother wrote:
So sorry! Are you in the U.S.? Is there an area that you could safley say you normally don't need air conditioning in the middle of August in the states? Either way, wishing you and your family an easy and meaningful fast.

In some states you can say yes don't know where op is.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Sat, Aug 13 2016, 11:56 pm
amother wrote:

Normally you need a heavy sweater now, especially after the sun goes down. In a few days it seems the weather will adjust.

Volunteer

Post Sun, Aug 14 2016, 1:24 am
Remember to drink water if you need to. Hhigh heat can be dangerous, especially if your body is not used to it. It can take up to 3 weeks to acclimate to heat, until which time you are at risk.

amother
Taupe

Post Sun, Aug 14 2016, 2:04 am
If you're in the Northeast, please be very careful, and make sure to monitor yourself and drink water if you're not feeling well. OP, I'm wondering if you're in upstate NY, or somewhere, where it ordinarily gets chillier at night, but it hasn't tonight.
We're currently experiencing extreme heat and record-breaking weather conditions. The actual temperate in NYC today was 95 Fahrenheit, but the "real feel" was 110-115 degrees because of the crazy high dew point. Tomorrow is supposed to be more of the same (at least temperature-wise, and possibly dew-point wise as well.) NYC has issued alerts to keep on the AC and go to public cooling centers if necessary.
Remember the halacha to take care of your health. Call your rav if you feel you have to, but if you are actually feeling sick, remember that you are not only permitted to, but actually obligated to break the fast. Hope you have a meaningful tisha bav.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Aug 14 2016, 11:43 am
If you don't have air conditioning you need to call a Rav and DRINK. Please take care of yourself.
Driving home in an air conditioned car does not sound like a bad idea. Drive carefully.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note