Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Returning borrowed money - thank you card

amother
Floralwhite

Post Fri, Aug 12 2016, 3:51 pm
Someone loaned us a significant amount of money to help with our down payment. We are ready to pay it back and I would like to include a nice thank you card except that I am very bad with words and even worse at writing.
Can someone please help me out with an idea of what I can write? It can be short, sweet, and to the point. I just need help finding the right words.

ra_mom

Post Fri, Aug 12 2016, 3:57 pm
Dear Avraham and Sarah,

Thank you so much for your generosity in lending us money for a down payment on our very first home.

Your kindness has helped us fulfill our dream toward home ownership and we will be forever grateful.

With gratitude and warm regards,
Yitzchok and Rivkah Jacobson

(this may not be your first home, in which case you can change the words Smile )

amother
Cerulean

Post Fri, Aug 12 2016, 5:26 pm
Be careful - a thank you that is more than a courtesy can be considered ribis (interest).

You may want to speak to a Rav to make sure that your thoughtful gesture is not a halachic problem.

amother
Aubergine

Post Fri, Aug 12 2016, 5:36 pm
amother wrote:
Be careful - a thank you that is more than a courtesy can be considered ribis (interest).

You may want to speak to a Rav to make sure that your thoughtful gesture is not a halachic problem.

Amazing how there are hetarim that basically allow yidden to charge yidden outright ribis. I wouldn't worry about a thank you card.

cip

Post Sat, Aug 13 2016, 10:34 pm
Ask your rav. As I know, when you return money then don't thank but later you can thank.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Mon, Aug 15 2016, 12:27 am
Thank you.
I will look into the ribis issue.
Worse case I can hand over the check from my right hand and the card from my left. Either way still planning to give a thank you card.

amother
Aubergine

Post Mon, Aug 15 2016, 12:45 am
amother wrote:
Thank you.
I will look into the ribis issue.
Worse case I can hand over the check from my right hand and the card from my left. Either way still planning to give a thank you card.

I've never heard this before. How does this work?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette