Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Can't I do laundry tonight post - fast???
Previous  1  2

Ashrei

Post Sun, Aug 14 2016, 12:53 pm
notshanarishona wrote:
Depends on the age of kids.. Kids below chinuch age you can bath today.

What are the generally accepted "chinuch ages" for boys and girls?

DrMom

Post Sun, Aug 14 2016, 1:05 pm
m in Israel wrote:
Many people hold that eating meat, drinking wine (except for havdala), and listening to music are still assur until tomorrow morning (not chatzos). The other restrictions, however (like laundry and showering) end tonight according to most.

I learned that this year, because the fast is delayed, these restrictions do not apply.

m in Israel

Post Sun, Aug 14 2016, 1:40 pm
DrMom wrote:
I learned that this year, because the fast is delayed, these restrictions do not apply.

I am talking about this year. In an ordinary year, ALL the restrictions of the 9 days continue until chatzos on 10 Av.

This year, because of the nidche, there are different opinions. As I understand it, according to all opinions there are no restrictions past tomorrow morning (I.e. no waiting till chatzos).

The questionable area is tonight. There are various opinions as to which, if any, of the restrictions still apply tonight. An earlier poster had written definitively that "all restrictions" end tonight. I wanted to point out that by no means is that the universally held psak, and there are opinions that differentiate between various restrictions (such as what I wrote). I am pretty sure that there are even people who hold that laundry should not be done till the morning, although that is not how I personally hold (first load in already!).

m in Israel

Post Sun, Aug 14 2016, 1:44 pm
I just did a quick search.
Here's an example of link describing the opinion that I quoted:

https://www.ou.org/holidays/fa.....nday/

The pertinent paragraph:

Quote:
7. When Tisha b’Av falls on Shabbos then one may do laundry, shower, and change clothes on Sunday night.

a. One should still ideally refrain from eating meat, drinking wine, listening to music and shaving/taking haircuts until Monday daytime.

m in Israel

Post Sun, Aug 14 2016, 1:49 pm
Interestingly, I found another link (this one seems to be Chabad psak), where they hold that eating meat and drinking wine is not allowed until morning, but they do allow music and haircuts already at night, as opposed to the OU link which, while allowing laundry and showering at night says that haircuts and music should wait until morning (in addition to agreeing about waiting for meat and wine).

http://crownheights.info/psa/4.....-bav/

Bottom line -- lots of opinions, ask your LOR, but laundry does seem to be commonly allowed.

Post Sun, Aug 14 2016, 3:59 pm
Wondering if I'm allowed to sort laundry now???

notshanarishona

Post Sun, Aug 14 2016, 4:01 pm
Ashrei wrote:
What are the generally accepted "chinuch ages" for boys and girls?

At What Age?
The general age of when one starts to do mitzvos is when the parents think that their child is mature enough to fulfill the whole mitzvah even with its more complicated parts. [7]
The age of chinuch depends on the child's individual intelligence. Usually the age when a child is intelligent enough for mitzvos is 5 or 6 years of age.[8]
There are some mitzvos in which parents start training their children even before five years of age. But some mitzvos can be more complicated and parents should wait until children are older to train them.[9]

http://halachipedia.com/index......inuch

Rubber Ducky

Post Sun, Aug 14 2016, 4:06 pm
3232 wrote:

I was wondering the same. How would sorting laundry differ from getting food ready for the break fast?

Fabulous

Post Sun, Aug 14 2016, 4:09 pm
My husband asked a shaila if I could give my baby a bath today and was told no.

tryinghard

Post Sun, Aug 14 2016, 5:55 pm
3232 wrote:

I just asked this and was told not.

I guess it differs from food prep because cooking is not assur today.

Post Sun, Aug 14 2016, 6:11 pm
So I guess will have to bear another few hours with an overloaded hamper... And even more, the machine will have to wait patiently till I get the laundry ready...

5mom

Post Sun, Aug 14 2016, 7:18 pm
m in Israel wrote:
I am talking about this year. In an ordinary year, ALL the restrictions of the 9 days continue until chatzos on 10 Av.

This year, because of the nidche, there are different opinions. As I understand it, according to all opinions there are no restrictions past tomorrow morning (I.e. no waiting till chatzos).

The questionable area is tonight. There are various opinions as to which, if any, of the restrictions still apply tonight. An earlier poster had written definitively that "all restrictions" end tonight. I wanted to point out that by no means is that the universally held psak, and there are opinions that differentiate between various restrictions (such as what I wrote). I am pretty sure that there are even people who hold that laundry should not be done till the morning, although that is not how I personally hold (first load in already!).

I should have been clearer. There are different - even contradictory - customs about waiting until the morning for some things, but essentially mourning ends at night. AYLOR. Mine holds that it's all over after the fast.

amother
Jetblack

Post Sun, Aug 14 2016, 8:40 pm
This year you can do laundry tonight after fast. My first load is already in the washing machine ready to press start!
Two things not allowed are drinking alcohol and music I think.

imasoftov

Post Mon, Aug 15 2016, 6:40 am
amother wrote:
This year you can do laundry tonight after fast. My first load is already in the washing machine ready to press start!
Two things not allowed are drinking alcohol and music I think.

What's prohibited is wine, not all alcohol.

I've seen some opinions that allowed music last night and others that did not.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry