Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Part time pay. What can I expect. KJ
Previous  1  2

amother
Taupe

Post Thu, Aug 11 2016, 2:06 am
Maya wrote:
What's your point?

Let's break it down for this immediate situation, this OP.
If she earns $10 an hour working twenty hours a week, she is left with literally $5 after childcare. But if she earns $15 an hour working the same amount of hours, her income is $125 after childcare.

So we don't really care about some economics article, when the benefits for most of the situations are very clear. Besides, people should be given the chance to earn a livable wage, some minor fringe setbacks notwithstanding.

People are given opportunities, it's called education, business ownership or really excelling at a specific trade or service I.e. shaitels, electrician, plumber, etc.

But flipping burgers or doing the frum entry level job in an office equivalent should not automatically make someone deserving of being paid a respectable salary. That's called living off the back of other's hard work. And puts professional like me with alot of education and student loans to shame.

This is America baby you can make money but you got to work hard. Don't sit around at a mediocre job expecting a quality of life salary.

amother
Bronze

Post Thu, Aug 11 2016, 3:42 am
I had a well paying job when we moved for DH to take a chinuch position. When I found out what the pay scale was in that city, I went to a local university and got a degree.

sky

Post Fri, Aug 12 2016, 11:59 am
Maya wrote:
What's your point?

Let's break it down for this immediate situation, this OP.
If she earns $10 an hour working twenty hours a week, she is left with literally $5 after childcare. But if she earns $15 an hour working the same amount of hours, her income is $125 after childcare.

So we don't really care about some economics article, when the benefits for most of the situations are very clear. Besides, people should be given the chance to earn a livable wage, some minor fringe setbacks notwithstanding.

I'm not a business owner but in my own microcosm:
I have a women who cleans my house. She is fantastic, reliable, and honest. I would hate to lose her. I budget for her time.
She recently asked me for an hourly raise. Which I gave her because she deserves it. But I realized it is putting me over what I budget for cleaning help - slightly, but it adds up. I'm thinking about cutting her hours to keep it within budget and do the extra work myself. So at the end of the day she isn't make more unless she fills those hours by someone else. I am taking risk that she may leave me.
Many businesses work like that.

Maya

Post Fri, Aug 12 2016, 2:38 pm
amother wrote:
People are given opportunities, it's called education, business ownership or really excelling at a specific trade or service I.e. shaitels, electrician, plumber, etc.

But flipping burgers or doing the frum entry level job in an office equivalent should not automatically make someone deserving of being paid a respectable salary. That's called living off the back of other's hard work. And puts professional like me with alot of education and student loans to shame.

This is America baby you can make money but you got to work hard. Don't sit around at a mediocre job expecting a quality of life salary.

The expectation is that if the minimum wage is raised, professionals with an education will see their wages raised too. They won't just accept the same salaries as burger flippers. I don't understand your post.

Either way, the OP hasn't come back here to report on the salary conversation from her interview, and that's what interests me from this thread.

amother
Yellow

Post Fri, Aug 12 2016, 2:40 pm
Maya wrote:
The expectation is that if the minimum wage is raised, professionals with an education will see their wages raised too. They won't just accept the same salaries as burger flippers. I don't understand your post.

Either way, the OP hasn't come back here to report on the salary conversation from her interview, and that's what interests me from this thread.

And inflation will rise and the $15 wage won't be worth more that the current $9 something wage.

Maya

Post Fri, Aug 12 2016, 2:42 pm
amother wrote:
And inflation will rise and the $15 wage won't be worth more that the current $9 something wage.

Okay. Let's all stay poor and never do anything to TRY to better people's situations.

amother
Yellow

Post Fri, Aug 12 2016, 2:49 pm
Maya wrote:
Okay. Let's all stay poor and never do anything to TRY to better people's situations.

That wasn't what I was trying to say. It's just that highering the minimum wage more than what needs to be raised for inflation doesn't work. The system we have now actually works. In my neighborhood the immigrants are the ones making minimum wage.
I know this is a new topic, but it's related. We always need working people on the bottom of the ladder. Here individuals from the bukharian community were making the minimum wage for many years but now they are no longer working those jobs. They have moved up. Now only individuals from the uzbekistan community are at those jobs. Immigrants and lower paying jobs are necessary for everyone. My grandfather was a factory worker all his life after he came to America and my grandmother was in a similar job. Their children moved up and grandchildren bh too. Such is life and bh America is a place where this can be done.

gp2.0

Post Sun, Aug 14 2016, 11:11 pm
Actually, I remember now that the minimum wage in NY is going to be raised to $15/hour over the next few years.
https://www.governor.ny.gov/ne.....y-law

Also relevant: https://www.dol.gov/featured/m.....uster

Apparently, the minimum wage hasn't risen as quickly as inflation has. In order for the minimum wage today to be equal to what it was in the 80s it would need to be $8 more ($15.25). To equal what it was in the 60s it would need to be nearly $11 more ($18).

So income, specifically minimum wage, has actually been on a steady decline for the past fifty years and hasn't kept up with inflation even though the rates of worker productivity have risen.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Mon, Aug 15 2016, 8:50 am
Sometimes minimum wage payn and has a place. My DH is has a company that requires skills and physical labor. DH is hands o works on every job - start to finish. But sometimes hires people to help him. He'll hire them with no skills - pay them low (it is still higher than minimum wage) and after 6 months they have a huge skill set that makes them much more desirable and they can make a lot more somewhere else. He isn't looking to retain most workers unless they are truly amazing and then he'll increase their salary to keep them. His work is also transient so most workers aren't traveling an hour between job locations.
So even though when working for DH they aren't making a lot they leave worth a whole lot more than when they started. The skills translate to many jobs.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics