Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Book rec?

momaleh

Post Sun, May 22 2016, 12:14 pm
My DH really enjoys the Marcus Lehman books, and a similar historical novel about R' Shnuer Zalman, if anyone here knows what I'm talking about - any recs for other similar reading material? I suppose the genre is well-written historical drama.

PinkFridge

Post Sun, May 22 2016, 12:43 pm
They're not all exactly like the ones you mentioned but if he likes x he might like y:

Baron Rothschild by Sh. Spitzer
Avraham ben Avraham by R' Zelig Schachnowitz
Heir to the Throne, rereleased under another name, forgot it though, by Shmuel Rothstein
There's an R. Leader who wrote 2 books, Faithful Soldiers and another, forgot the other (I think I liked Faithful Soldiers better IIRC)
Far From the Place We Called Home by Sarah Schleimer
The Stars Will Guide You and Into the Fire by Miriam Walfish

I haven't read the Destination Unknown series by Zev Spektor but they and his story anthologies might fit the bill.

Meir Baram's books

And biographies:
Youth Chofetz Chaim by ...Ezrachi
The new Artscroll Youth biography on Rav Moshe, and the one on Rav Nosson Tzvi Finkel, zt"l to both
In Every Generation (Feldheim), regular or youth
Reb Aryeh [Levine] by Tzira Karlenstein
All For the Boss, youth and regular

So many more, but these are a good start.

momaleh

Post Mon, May 23 2016, 2:34 am
Thanks!! Definitely a great start.

PinkFridge

Post Mon, May 23 2016, 4:57 am
And The Light from the West by the Chasam Sofer. There are also some biographies from CIS: go to their website and look under biography. They also have numerous Holocaust memoirs including one by R' David Werdiger, z"l (MBD's father).
If he's old enough. A few more:
My Footsteps Echos - someone Sapir, about a tzedaka collector and his travels east in the 1800s.
To Remain a Jew - memoirs of Rav Yitzchak Zilber, zt"l
Go My Son - R' Chaim Shapiro

momaleh

Post Mon, May 23 2016, 5:01 am
we have the first and the second to last, so you're on the right track! will look into the others.

Rubber Ducky

Post Mon, May 23 2016, 5:13 am
Fall of the Sun God by Henye Meyer

qwerty4

Post Mon, Aug 15 2016, 11:33 am
Not sure if still relevant but Avner Gold series is historical fiction. Amazing writing.

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Aug 15 2016, 11:53 am
qwerty4 wrote:
Not sure if still relevant but Avner Gold series is historical fiction. Amazing writing.

embarrassed embarrassed to have forgotten him.

momaleh

Post Mon, Aug 15 2016, 11:57 am
Definitely still relevant, thanks for the rec!

qwerty4

Post Mon, Aug 15 2016, 1:03 pm
Though it was a bit of a damper when I read his wife's book which described him as a person with pics of him as well Wink With the type of genre he uses, it was hard to connect him to the man portrayed there.

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Aug 15 2016, 1:13 pm
qwerty4 wrote:
Though it was a bit of a damper when I read his wife's book which described him as a person with pics of him as well Wink With the type of genre he uses, it was hard to connect him to the man portrayed there.

Yeah, it was very honest and open. Re your last sentence, I don't see it as a stira.

qwerty4

Post Mon, Aug 15 2016, 1:46 pm
Hard to explain what I mean, something along the lines of him not being a writer of today's day and age in my mind. His books are very different from the average novel out there. Comes from reading any and every typa book and classifying their authors subconsciously Wink

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Aug 15 2016, 2:11 pm
qwerty4 wrote:
Hard to explain what I mean, something along the lines of him not being a writer of today's day and age in my mind. His books are very different from the average novel out there. Comes from reading any and every typa book and classifying their authors subconsciously Wink

He's brilliant with a very broad range of knowledge. My guess is you're a little bit younger than I so it seems like someone who wears a shtreimel (does he? If not, close to it) shouldn't know so much unless his last name is Twerski.

qwerty4

Post Mon, Aug 15 2016, 2:21 pm
Yes, I am probably younger than you, but no, I have no reservations about his shtreimel. I'm chassidish and know a whole lot of shtreimel wearing knowledgeable men. Some extremely so.
What I meant was that he is very authentic in his portrayal of times long past. Thus, having a clear picture of him as an individual didn't fit with my image of him and his style of writing.

OOTBubby

Post Mon, Aug 15 2016, 4:13 pm
I don't think they're mentioned above, but Sender Ze'ev's books should fit the bill.

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Aug 15 2016, 4:56 pm
OOTBubby wrote:
I don't think they're mentioned above, but Sender Ze'ev's books should fit the bill.

Funny, I thought, wait, isn't her son younger? Then I went back to the OP and realized - just now - that it's her husband. My list still stands though.
Yeah, I think those might work.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room