Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
Poem in Binah about "non-religious" wedding

zaq

Post Mon, Aug 15 2016, 8:14 pm
Sorry I can't find this thread when logged in,so I can't post in the thread itself. But I wanted to respond to the poster who said that the true churban was that many secular israelis don't get married at all.

Why pick on secular Israelis? Many ehrliche frum Jews don't ever get married, either. Some are single by choice and some by bad mazal. Very sad, but calling it a "churban" is an overdramatization. Do you mean that they live together without chuppah vekiddushin? bad form, yes, but as long as they are mutually faithful for life and have a good partnership, that's hardly a churban. They're still bringing up Jewish children to know they're Jewish. Long before the Jewish wedding ceremony developed into the form we know today, living together as husband and wife was a valid, though not necessarily socially applauded, manner of solemnizing a marriage.

The true churban is the vast numbers of Yidden, Israeli and otherwise, who marry nonJews. Be they ever so mutually faithful and good partners, the children they create have little if any chance of remaining Jews in fact, even if they are Jews lefi halacha. That's really something to mourn.

greenfire

Post Mon, Aug 15 2016, 8:26 pm
http://www.imamother.com/forum.....ight=
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics