Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Sooo annoyed! Tuition should cover these things!!!
Previous  1  2  3  4

debsey

Post Mon, Aug 15 2016, 5:35 pm
gp2.0 wrote:
What's a building fee and how is it different from a dinner fee? That's what I'm curious about. Smile

If a tree falls in a forest.......... Wink Another imponderable question........

amother
Cerise

Post Mon, Aug 15 2016, 6:02 pm
Unless the service is optional (school bus, aftercare) I also don't see why it can't all be rolled into tuition.

OTOH maybe this is a way of ensuring the funds will be available for that particular purpose instead of being lost in the black hole. Also generally even parents getting a tuition discount must pay these fees in full.

Scrabble123

Post Mon, Aug 15 2016, 8:00 pm
Sorry to say, but none of the fees that you mentioned belong to be apart of the tuition. I know that since private school is generally not viewed optional in the frum world that parents may expect the schools to roll other fees into the total tuition to avoid embarrassing children whose parents cannot afford the extra fees, but none of those fees are expected to be apart of the tuition. I used to not understand why parents need to pay for used books, as a book fee (which was closer to $1,000+/year ) always covered brand new books at my school; however it costs money to rebind used books and so some of the frum schools who reuse books charge a minimal fee to "rent" the books to the students. If you are receive a tuition break it may be worthwhile to ask if you can have some of these fees covered, especially if you cannot afford them (actually if you cannot afford them there may be a way for you to get a break even if you are not receiving any scholarship funds).

Amelia Bedelia

Post Mon, Aug 15 2016, 8:40 pm
acemom wrote:
I think that most people would appreciate that the school provides the supplies for a fee. Ok, maybe some schools would take advantage and charge exorbitant prices. But, it would be really helpful if the mothers wouldn't have to run around to get an "unlined, spiralbound, 7-section notebook" or what-have-you that only one store in the city sells.

I wouldn't appreciate it, and most people I know wouldn't.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Aug 15 2016, 9:55 pm
I have had some teachers give a general list of things that were easily found and asked for $10 to cover the rest, which were very specific portfolios/journals/specifically covered folders, etc and found that to be a reasonable compromise. I was able to buy my crayons for 25 cents instead of paying the teacher 1.50 for them, but didn't have to shop around to get the harder to find items.

I'm having a major issue with the preschool school supply system in my school, but IY"H I hope it will be changed for next year.

As far as 50 pencils, etc....you wish. I give my kids a handful as they get older and it's not one big class pot of pencils and if they need more, they can come back throughout the year. When they have less, they act more responsible not to lose them. No way am I giving a 5th grader 50 pencils!

flowerpower

Post Mon, Aug 15 2016, 9:58 pm
Then you have the tuition divided into 12 months so it should feel like you are paying less. So you pay for camp and tuition at the same time.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Aug 15 2016, 10:10 pm
Is that by school mandate or parent choice? In all the schools I've sent to 10 months was standard, but one has 12 months as an option.

Maya

Post Mon, Aug 15 2016, 11:50 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
Is that by school mandate or parent choice? In all the schools I've sent to 10 months was standard, but one has 12 months as an option.

In Chassidish schools, it's a mandate. You pay 12 months tuition plus camp.

amother
Vermilion

Post Tue, Aug 16 2016, 12:15 am
Thanks to the person who explained about renting the books.

I'm not sure why I got hugs earlier for asking about the book fee.

The school I went to, you were expected to buy new text books and literature each year. If they were same as the previous year, you could try to buy them second hand from those kids directly.

Detailed supply lists and book lists were sent out at the end of each school year. You could buy them through the school, on your own, or some and some. The week before school there was a pickup day, when those who ordered through the school could come and pick up their books. Morning was for last names A-K, afternoon was for last names L-Z.

That gave everyone time to organize and label all their books and supplies before the first day of school.

Marion

Post Tue, Aug 16 2016, 1:14 pm
Without having read all 4 pages:

1. Book fee. Makes sense; books need to be replaced every so often and $20/year is really not a lot.
2. Nit fee. Sound weird to me (say the mother of 4 boys who checks them herself constantly) but also, $10/year not a lot.
3. Lunch fee. Makes sense, as not everyone participates, but $500 is a lot. Might make more sense to charge per meal (though may not be less expensive)... I know some of our schools won't run the lunch program (no government payment) if a minimum of 50-60% of the parents don't sign up for it. One of the common feedbacks we got last year was that parents wanted the option of a partial lunch program - they'd be happy to pay for it once/week but every day was more than they could afford.
4. After care. Also makes sense as it's an optional program and not everyone will want it.

My bigger question would be why tuition is so high...how much is going to teachers' salaries, enrichment programs, etc. and how much is straight out overhead (building maintenance, principals salaries, equipment).

mha3484

Post Tue, Aug 16 2016, 1:33 pm
Interesting our fees are totally different. We pay $200 at the time of registration which was in the spring time. We have a building fund of $250 a year and once a family pays $5k you are done. We have a book fee of $50 and a technology fee of $75. Everything else is optional. Lice checkers are volunteers they get give-get credit from the school, the bus is optional, hot lunch is optional and the dinner is optional. IIRC last year it was $100 per person and they really wanted parents to come so they gave reduced rates if you wanted to go but cant afford.
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children