Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
To fly or to drive with little kids plus newborn?

amother
Scarlet

Post Mon, Aug 15 2016, 2:32 pm
I live approximately an eleven hour drive or 1.5 hour flight from my parents. I am due any day with my third IYH. I will have a 3.5 yr old - almost two year old and newborn. The kids are off from camp and my husband will also be off in a week. My parents both work in the school system and they will be off too. It would be really nice to go to them for a week or two after baby is born to rest up and get some help. What makes more sense to fly or to drive? The driving and nursing doesnt really scare me so much because I have a battery adapter for my pump and can throw a blanket over me pump in car and then feed baby bottle. But 11 hours is a LONG time to have my kids in a car and my husband is not a good night driver and I wont be too much of a help driving. Flying is shorter but there is so much coming and going and were in public and I really dont want to bring a double and single stroller....What did you find easier/harder with kids these ages

dancingqueen

Post Mon, Aug 15 2016, 2:44 pm
Neither sounds fun to me lol. Can your parents come to you? If not ask your pedi if flying with a few days old baby is ok.

Last edited by dancingqueen on Mon, Aug 15 2016, 3:09 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Scarlet

Post Mon, Aug 15 2016, 2:51 pm
I live in a two bedroom apartment and my parents have a nice house with a big backyard with swing set and I still have school age sibilings so it makes a lot more sense for me to go there.........the issue just is getting there LOL LOL LOL

amother
Babyblue

Post Mon, Aug 15 2016, 2:56 pm
I was in this exact situation. We were able to get super cheap tickets so it made more sense to fly. My husband could not take off so it was me with 3 kids ages 6,4,2 plus a newborn. I waited until she was 6 weeks though, earlier would have been too hard. For the flight itself I stocked up well with little toys games and snacks to keep them entertained. Fortunately it was a short flight.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Mon, Aug 15 2016, 3:16 pm
They can both be a nightmare.

We sometimes fly and sometimes drive between NY and Toronto. It's an 8-9 hour drive if you only make quick gas and bathroom stops. Flying should only take an hour or so, but sometimes it ends up being quicker to drive what with having to be at the airport early to go through security and then plane delays and customs on the other end. There's also a health risk to the baby of breathing recycled air and being exposed to the germs of multitudes of people.

Driving with kids can be hard but at least you can make your own schedule. If you need to stop and stretch your legs then you can do so fairly easily. Driving with a newborn who needs to nurse every couple of hours can prolong the trip and make it feel like it's taking forever. If you can pump while DH is driving and bottle feed while you and the baby are both seat belted then that might work.

Have you considered breaking up the trip a little? Maybe if you do some fun thing along the way and sleep in a hotel one night there and one night back then the driving won't be so grueling.

And definitely buy new toys to keep the kids occupied whether you will be flying or driving.

tichellady

Post Mon, Aug 15 2016, 3:26 pm
I would be nervous to fly with a newborn but I know many people do it. I feel like I always get a cold from airplanes so I would be worried about a newborn's immune system.

greenfire

Post Mon, Aug 15 2016, 3:31 pm
car is cheaper, easier in some respects & harder in others

you still have to get to the airport & back ... so hopping in & out & planning your own schedule is easier ...

I've always made an adventure of it ... not sure if that works with a 3 year old nor the younger ones

if you need to get away - why not meet your parents half-way at a nice hotel ... makes for a better vacation for both sides and a lot less driving

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Mon, Aug 15 2016, 3:42 pm
I forgot to add some of the major advantages of driving. You can pack more easily and are only restricted by the amount of space in your car. And when you get to your destination you will obviously already have a car and car seats available so you can be independently mobile if you want to run errands or go on an outing.

out-of-towner

Post Mon, Aug 15 2016, 4:06 pm
My IL's live about the same distance that you are describing.

I have found driving to be much more stressful, but ultimatly easier. For one thing, you pack your car, and then are done, don't have to shlep luggage anywhere, or car seats. Or go through security, which can be a nightmare. If a kid (or two) is screaming you don't have to worry about bothering other passengers. And you can stop when you need to.

The biggest advantage is that when you get there you have a car, with all of your car seats installed, when you need it. No installing car seats in another car whenever you need to get anywhere.

Hatzlacha!

Raisin

Post Mon, Aug 15 2016, 4:44 pm
I usually find driving to be much easier but we have only a 5-6 journey.

Car seats and aeroplanes are a nightmare with 3 toddlers.

The last time we visited our family we flew because we got very cheap tickets but then we were delayed both ways so lost any time savings.

You also have to walk a lot less when driving. Many airports involve a good 30-40 mins of walking at least, plus standing around. I don't know how soon after birth you want to go but it could be exhausting.

sushi galore

Post Mon, Aug 15 2016, 4:52 pm
I flew with a newborn 2 wks, and young ones. 8 hrs by plane. I dreaded it until I lived it. B"h it was the best trip I ever took. I came to my parents to Kimpert. I would rather do the one and a half hour flight and all then eleven and a half by car. The seat on plane is more spacious than car seat. Good luck on your travels. And B'sha'a Tova!

Blessing1

Post Mon, Aug 15 2016, 4:59 pm
Maybe you can divide the car trip in 2 days? Like drive 5 hours, sleep over at hotel & drive rest of the way the next day.

flowerpower

Post Mon, Aug 15 2016, 5:01 pm
Normally I'd suggest plane. But if you have a real newborn I think car makes more sense. Prepare in advance car activities. Drive at night so kids can sleep.

gibberish

Post Mon, Aug 15 2016, 6:21 pm
I've done both and recommend flying. I said that I will never again do a long road trip with a newborn.

Imagine driving an 11.5 hour trip with a newborn. You will need to stop every 2 hours for 45 minutes to feed the baby. The 11.5 hour trip will quickly turn into a MUCH longer trip and will stretch into at least 2 days.

On the other hand, newborns are so easy to fly with and you can nurse or feed on the plane.

Good luck with your decision!

out-of-towner

Post Tue, Aug 16 2016, 1:36 pm
Blessing1 wrote:
Maybe you can divide the car trip in 2 days? Like drive 5 hours, sleep over at hotel & drive rest of the way the next day.

This could be a good idea. I have done it (with 2 kids), where we slept in a hotel that was a little more than half way. The problem with toddlers is that the are unpredicatable. Mine didn't sleep and it was miserable.

If you and your husband can do it, I would suggest driving overnight. Your toddlers are likely to be asleep, and you can go further without worrying about them. I can't speak for the newborn, but you might be surprised!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics