Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Computers, Phones and Devices
Data recovery

miami85

Post Tue, Aug 16 2016, 7:58 pm
I sent an external hard drive away for recovery, they initially told me that the charge would be around $200. They seemed legit and had good ratings online. They called me yesterday to tell me that they were able to recover the data, but they want $800. I don't know what to do. I need that data back, but I cannot pay the $800 that they want. What should I do?

Post Tue, Aug 16 2016, 8:09 pm
Amount makes sense. I paid a few years ago about $800.00-$1000.00 for data recovery. I had no choice but it was paid from the business expense which made it easier.

Amarante

Post Tue, Aug 16 2016, 8:48 pm
The charge is legitimate but I would be concerned at the bait and switch tactics if the lowball estimate. Based on that, I would be reluctant to give them my business.

Yui can see if you can get it done slightly cheaper but if the hard drive is damaged, it's a difficult process. Are there any local data recovery services

I have had so many drives and computers die abruptly that I have duplicate back ups as the price of an external hard drive is so cheap.

miami85

Post Tue, Aug 16 2016, 9:31 pm
I understand that the price is legit, though it is high compared to what they claim makes their business cheaper. The bigger problem is that I can't pay it right now. Had I known I would've waited.

I'm a little nervous now, b/c I did a search and finding some reports of scamming. I know that they were able to retrieve my data b/c they listed the files that were on there and I didn't tell them that before hand

I was about to "Back up my back up" when it died. They told me what happened and I guess what they said makes sense.

Amarante

Post Tue, Aug 16 2016, 9:41 pm
I am sure that they would recover but I hate giving business to people who lie to get it. Here it appears they fudged what the final costs would be to get you in the hook by shipping your drive. Classic bait and switch.

I don't understand what backing up your backup means. Both your internal and backup drive failed at the same time.

Again, not to beat up on someone, my computer backs up automatically every hour so that there are always two copies and unless there was a catastrophe in which everything was destroyed, I always have a backup. Of course now that I write this, I think I will also investigate backing up my files to the cloud in the event of a catastrophe in my home.

I feel for yiu because my life and business are on those bytes and I don't know how I would proceed if lost.

miami85

Post Tue, Aug 16 2016, 9:47 pm
My initial computer was dying, so I backed up my data, someone who was trying to fix my computer and get the stuff off my hard drive but took a long time to get me the data that he pulled. when I finally got a new computer, new external hard drive and the old data, I realized that some stuff was on the first external and out of the blue it wasn't working. So yea, I guess you can say that my internal and external both failed me.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics