Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Attack of the bees

gp2.0

Post Wed, Aug 17 2016, 5:24 pm
What's with all the extremely aggressive bees in Brooklyn?

The minute my DD steps out of the house with a drink or food a bee will zoom up and refuse to leave. They buzz repeatedly an inch away from her face because her mouth smells like food!! Exploding anger Exploding anger They're seriously terrifying. Now I'm worrying she'll develop a phobia of bees.

What's up? I thought bees are only attracted to sweet liquids? Since when are they attracted to a whole wheat cream cheese sandwich?

Sukkos is going to be a NIGHTMARE. Exploding anger Exploding anger Exploding anger Exploding anger

ra_mom

Post Wed, Aug 17 2016, 5:33 pm
Besides for sweets, they are SERIOUSLY attracted to protein. Exploding anger

amother
Papaya

Post Wed, Aug 17 2016, 5:37 pm
I really do have a phobia of bees and stay indoors as much as possible through the summer... You don't have to worry too much about Sukkos though, it's in the second half of October, so there probably won't be any bees.

enneamom

Post Wed, Aug 17 2016, 6:00 pm
gp2.0 wrote:
What's with all the extremely aggressive bees in Brooklyn?

The minute my DD steps out of the house with a drink or food a bee will zoom up and refuse to leave. They buzz repeatedly an inch away from her face because her mouth smells like food!! Exploding anger Exploding anger They're seriously terrifying. Now I'm worrying she'll develop a phobia of bees.

What's up? I thought bees are only attracted to sweet liquids? Since when are they attracted to a whole wheat cream cheese sandwich?

Sukkos is going to be a NIGHTMARE. Exploding anger Exploding anger Exploding anger Exploding anger

They're TARDISes with working chameleon circuits. You're being watched. Tongue Out

gp2.0

Post Wed, Aug 17 2016, 6:06 pm
amother wrote:
I really do have a phobia of bees and stay indoors as much as possible through the summer... You don't have to worry too much about Sukkos though, it's in the second half of October, so there probably won't be any bees.

Hey that's true! Yay. You cheered me up a little.

My reactions are scaring DD but I don't know how to stay calm while I keep shooing a bee away so forcefully that it keeps brushing and knocking against my hand, and it isn't deterred, just keeps coming back and following her around, so pretty much our only option is to run away or potentially be stung on the face. But by running away I'm teaching her fear. Ack.

Stars

Post Wed, Aug 17 2016, 6:07 pm
I've noticed it too. So annoying the way they could follow a person around.

amother
Papaya

Post Wed, Aug 17 2016, 6:14 pm
gp2.0 wrote:
Hey that's true! Yay. You cheered me up a little.

My reactions are scaring DD but I don't know how to stay calm while I keep shooing a bee away so forcefully that it keeps brushing and knocking against my hand, and it isn't deterred, just keeps coming back and following her around, so pretty much our only option is to run away or potentially be stung on the face. But by running away I'm teaching her fear. Ack.
My Dh is really annoyed with me for showing my fear, because the kids are picking up on it and he doesn't want them to develop a phobia like I have. But it's a real phobia, I really can't help my reaction! Bees send me off the rails! I know, I should probably see someone about this.

gp2.0

Post Wed, Aug 17 2016, 6:20 pm
I was stung by a bee once and it really wasn't a big deal, it hurt a lot less than I thought it would. It was also a case of this one bee just following me around everywhere and me waving it away until I batted it a little too hard and it stung me.

Still...a bee sting on the face doesn't sound awesome, and if waving the bee away and walking away don't help I'm not really left with options except running lol.

I've never been scared of bees but I think anything that flew erratically an inch away from my face and refused to stop would seriously bother me.

I don't remember bees being this persistent while I was growing up. Every once in a while it would happen, but this is happening every day.

zaq

Post Wed, Aug 17 2016, 6:23 pm
gp2.0 wrote:

Forgive me for asking the obvious, but if this is the case, why are you letting your dd step out of the house with food or drink? Surely she can eat and drink in the house and rinse her mouth before stepping outside? (Which would be an excellent habit to get her into. One which will save you big bucks on dental bills, and will help keep her pearly whites pearly white.)

gp2.0

Post Wed, Aug 17 2016, 6:25 pm
zaq wrote:
Forgive me for asking the obvious, but if this is the case, why are you letting your dd step out of the house with food or drink? Surely she can eat and drink in the house and rinse her mouth before stepping outside? (Which would be an excellent habit to get her into. One which will save you big bucks on dental bills, and will help keep her pearly whites pearly white.)

Lol. I stopped letting her out with juice but it didn't dawn on me that bees liked boring sandwiches.

gp2.0

Post Wed, Aug 17 2016, 6:28 pm
Also, sometimes they buzz around her even when she doesn't have food. Maybe her clothes smell nice from lunchtime. (She's 3.5.)

A couple times they buzzed near her hair. Maybe the shampoo smells sweet?

I dunno, this seems like overly aggressive behavior for bees.

Maybe they injected them with something to solve the disappearing bee crisis.

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Aug 17 2016, 6:28 pm
Bees are also attracted to sweat, and if you get scared, they get excited by all the adrenaline you're giving off. You fear is like a big cloud of yummy perfume to them!

Bees and wasps are most aggressive in August, and then they calm down as the weather cools off. Have your children play outside after sunset, and there won't be any bees.

gp2.0

Post Wed, Aug 17 2016, 7:12 pm
enneamom wrote:
They're TARDISes with working chameleon circuits. You're being watched. Tongue Out

Wink

gp2.0

Post Wed, Aug 17 2016, 7:19 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
Bees are also attracted to sweat, and if you get scared, they get excited by all the adrenaline you're giving off. You fear is like a big cloud of yummy perfume to them!

Bees and wasps are most aggressive in August, and then they calm down as the weather cools off. Have your children play outside after sunset, and there won't be any bees.

Ooh. If they're attracted to sweat, it all makes sense now.

Rutabaga

Post Wed, Aug 17 2016, 8:33 pm
Can you hang up one if those bee traps people use to keep bees out if the succah?

And keep a magazine handy to wave the bees away rather than using your hand.

Maybe you should get an exterminator in to see if there's a hive on the property.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Aug 18 2016, 12:04 am
Rutabaga wrote:
Can you hang up one if those bee traps people use to keep bees out if the succah?

And keep a magazine handy to wave the bees away rather than using your hand.

Maybe you should get an exterminator in to see if there's a hive on the property.

Definitely check under all of your eaves, and up in thick tree branches. Try to track down where they are coming from, and then get an exterminator.

My old house had an enormous nest of bald faced hornets right near my front porch. The exterminator said that they are important pollinators, and usually harmless, but in August they become very aggressive and territorial. Because they were so close to my walkway, where someone could set them off, he said that I actually did need to have the nest removed, even though he usually tries to talk people into leaving them alone.

BTW, bees and hornets really love meat, and will swarm around an outdoor BBQ like crazy, so it's not just sugary stuff they are after. Sweat bees are attracted to anything salty, which is why you can often find them near beaches.

Ground nests of yellow jackets are dangerous, because anyone could step in one, and set off a huge swarm. My dogs stepped in a nest once, and we had to rush all of them into the vet for antihistamine shots to control the multiple stings. NOT a fun way to spend our vacation in the mountains. Sad

I found that the best way to control bees, is to plant a million different types of flowers in my yard. The bees were so busy going from flower to flower, that you could walk right through them and they wouldn't even notice you. The more food you give them, the less they will come after you. Honey bees and bumble bees tend to chase off the more nasty wasps, so it's an added bonus.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics