Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Kelly dorfman e.a.t. w/picky eater

amother
Puce

Post Wed, Aug 17 2016, 11:56 pm
I'm about to start Kelly Dorfman's (author of Cure your child with food) E.A.T. plan with a 7 yr old very picky-eater child. Anybody had success with this?
I like her idea of just 1 (additional) bite of a new food for couple of weeks (to give the child predictability to lesson their stress with it) & also that it doesn't have to be a (deal-breaking) problem as I used to see it if my child is oppositional or is almost gagging. She contrasted (maybe a tendancy of our culture?) to stop there & just give up, whereas Mexican mothers for instance, just to give a sharp contrast - I love this - out of love for their children and a big love for their culture's cuisine, will rub a little hot sauce on the young children's lips to get them used to the spiciness; they don't like it at first, but over time it's helpful & this is just a very important part of their culture. (I like how it gives the kids a message of their being durable, you know? Obviously there's secret neccesary, but I think I've made the mistake a lot of the time of "misplaced rachmanus". Anyhow)

Additionally, I like her emphasis on the parent needing to be calm. I innocently used to get pretty upset and have occasional power struggles w/ this child over food (I admit it, you know? - even though I feel I should know better to not make meals so tension filled). So this approach emphasized having a cool & calm conviction about it all, with follow through to the new rule (with a "when/then" approach: "when you eat a bite, then you may [rewarding activity of choice]" & if thry dont,then they miss it. I may have to up the anti, but all I can do is try - no power-struggle forcing here!) so that my child has a strong yet firm parent behind this all.

This feels really right for me, & wondering if anybody is doing this or has done this, or maybe is interested themselves & wants to dialogue about it.

Ashrei

Post Thu, Aug 18 2016, 12:07 am
I have never heard of this but appreciated your post, it sounds very interesting.

As for the cool/calm/conviction principals, I love that. I try to apply it in general - it's so HARD! They wear you down! But I'm a strong believer in it and I hope it carries over into every boundary you set and decision you make. Over time, it makes for a lot less stress for the kids when they know Mommy's got it covered, and see you as a strong role model too, all from this outlook and attitude towards your relationship with them.

Hatzlacha on all your efforts!

amother
Puce

Post Thu, Aug 18 2016, 12:18 am
Amen, thank you!
Ya, with me not getting 'caught up in it' with them... (easier said than done Smile ) but overall, it's a direction where the kid has more of "a space" to settle down. It takes two to get into a power struggle. Only one? No power struggle. I know that's a big chinuch concept, but some how in "trouble spots", issues often have the illusion of being important enough to over ride rapport! So much easier to parent just theoretically... Smile
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)