Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Retiree on low budget moving to Israel

Raisin

Post Sun, Aug 07 2016, 3:12 pm
We have a friend who would like to make aliya, but he cannot afford to live in any of the typical anglo bubbles. (netanya etc) He is a native english speaker, (no hebrew) single, (divorced), not frum but somewhat traditional. He has a small pension and a property that he could rent out or sell and use the proceeds to rent or buy a property in Israel.

Where is a cheap location to live where someone like that might be happy?

ora_43

Post Sun, Aug 07 2016, 3:30 pm
Raisin wrote:
We have a friend who would like to make aliya, but he cannot afford to live in any of the typical anglo bubbles. (netanya etc) He is a native english speaker, (no hebrew) single, (divorced), not frum but somewhat traditional. He has a small pension and a property that he could rent out or sell and use the proceeds to rent or buy a property in Israel.

Where is a cheap location to live where someone like that might be happy?

What's his budget? Maybe one of the typical anglo bubbles is doable, if the apartment is small enough?

It would be tough to be an English-only speaker living where there's not much English. Or at least, it'd be tough for a lot of people; some people do OK. What is he looking for, like, what kind of life does he want here?

Does he speak any languages other than English? If he speaks Russian, that opens up more options. I know that's a long shot. What about Yiddish?

Tablepoetry

Post Sun, Aug 07 2016, 4:17 pm
Most of the cheaper places are way OOT and family oriented (yeshuvim and the like).
He needs a place not only with anglos but with singles.
BTW Netanya hasn't been an anglo bubble for decades. It is a French bubble.
How old is he? What does he plan on doing in his spare time?

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Aug 07 2016, 4:28 pm
I love living in Nahariya. It's a very mixed community, ranging from chiloni to charedi, and everything in between.

We have tons of new American retirees moving here, and a lot of new apartment buildings going up that have smaller units suitable for a couple or single person. Apartments here are not that expensive. Of course, the ones right on the beach cost more, but the prices drop significantly for every block that you go away from the water.

There is also an ulpan here that is geared for people over 60, that is a very nice pace. I have learning disabilities, so I go to the senior class. It's only twice a week, so it's not overwhelming and you have plenty of time to study the materials between classes.

Most people here speak at least some basic English, and all of them are very eager to practice with you. It's frustrating, because I want to speak Ivrit, and when they find out I'm American, they only want to speak English!

Another think to keep in mind, is that as you get older and have more health issues, you want to be close to a high quality hospital. Western Galilee is very good, and Haifa is not too far away. We also have absolutely gorgeous nursing homes.

Raisin

Post Sun, Aug 07 2016, 4:35 pm
Tablepoetry wrote:
Most of the cheaper places are way OOT and family oriented (yeshuvim and the like).
He needs a place not only with anglos but with singles.
BTW Netanya hasn't been an anglo bubble for decades. It is a French bubble.
How old is he? What does he plan on doing in his spare time?

I'm not sure of his budget. I would think under $1000 a month but I really don't know exactly. I can find out. He's in his 60s I think. He likes golf and plays it well enough to teach it, if there is a need for that type of thing. Otherwise whatever retirees do with their spare time.

I was thinking maybe a cheaper city in the north or south. Are there any with substantial anglo populations? I think the tel aviv/jerusalem area is just too expensive.

He doesn't speak any other languages. Just english.

Raisin

Post Sun, Aug 07 2016, 4:41 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
I love living in Nahariya. It's a very mixed community, ranging from chiloni to charedi, and everything in between.

We have tons of new American retirees moving here, and a lot of new apartment buildings going up that have smaller units suitable for a couple or single person. Apartments here are not that expensive. Of course, the ones right on the beach cost more, but the prices drop significantly for every block that you go away from the water.

There is also an ulpan here that is geared for people over 60, that is a very nice pace. I have learning disabilities, so I go to the senior class. It's only twice a week, so it's not overwhelming and you have plenty of time to study the materials between classes.

Most people here speak at least some basic English, and all of them are very eager to practice with you. It's frustrating, because I want to speak Ivrit, and when they find out I'm American, they only want to speak English!

Another think to keep in mind, is that as you get older and have more health issues, you want to be close to a high quality hospital. Western Galilee is very good, and Haifa is not too far away. We also have absolutely gorgeous nursing homes.

Thanks, FF. That sounds possible. How much would a one bed apartment go for? (sale or rent)

Would he need a car? Are there good transport links to other parts of Israel?

bluebaker

Post Sun, Aug 07 2016, 4:41 pm
I've heard good things about Katzrin for Anglos of all ages.

ora_43

Post Sun, Aug 07 2016, 5:05 pm
He could definitely give northern or southern Israel a shot. I think it could work well for him if he's really extroverted, and doesn't mind putting himself out there and having to make an effort to put together a social group. Or if he's introverted enough that he only needs a few friends.

I really recommend a pilot trip.

I'd suggest checking out Arad in southern Israel, and Netanya, Haifa, Karmiel and Katzrin in the north. (Nothing against southern Israel, I'm just less familiar with it).

I also suggest he spend some time in Beit Shemesh and Modiin (more typical anglo places) for comparison/ to see if it might be worth it to find a way to live in a more English-speaking place if possible.

In any case, he can start off renting and see how he likes wherever he ends up.

maliza

Post Sun, Aug 07 2016, 6:24 pm
the neighborhoods in and around neve aliza may be of interest.

contact nefesh b'nefesh for advice, support and all kinds of help; they can recommend a number of communities, arrange meet-ups, and help with the move to israel, among many other things.

Raisin

Post Sun, Aug 07 2016, 6:48 pm
ora_43 wrote:
He could definitely give northern or southern Israel a shot. I think it could work well for him if he's really extroverted, and doesn't mind putting himself out there and having to make an effort to put together a social group. Or if he's introverted enough that he only needs a few friends.

I really recommend a pilot trip.

I'd suggest checking out Arad in southern Israel, and Netanya, Haifa, Karmiel and Katzrin in the north. (Nothing against southern Israel, I'm just less familiar with it).

I also suggest he spend some time in Beit Shemesh and Modiin (more typical anglo places) for comparison/ to see if it might be worth it to find a way to live in a more English-speaking place if possible.

In any case, he can start off renting and see how he likes wherever he ends up.

I should have mentioned, he did previously live in Israel for a year or two but came back. So he is somewhat familiar with parts of Israel. But I think he thinks of Israel as Tel Aviv and the surrounding areas.

Do you mean Netanya? Or another northern city?

Is Modiin affordable?

Tablepoetry

Post Mon, Aug 08 2016, 4:07 am
ora_43 wrote:

I don't think that Arad has much to offer him. I have never heard of any English speakers there, and it's a rather deserted town at the moment. Hopefully it will experience some growth in the future, but this guy needs a dynamic place now. I remember spending one day at the mall there and it was just barren, dead end.

Modiin probably is more expensive than his budget. Unless he's willing to live in a yechidat diur (a small unit someone built off their house). I don't think that's ideal for a long term plan. In any case, Modiin is not what I would recommend for a single guy. It's a family city. Most people work in different cities during the day, and go out for entertainment to Tel Aviv etc. It's somewhat of a bedroom community, albeit a very nice one. Or so I've heard from others. Maybe someone who actually lives there (or in Arad) has more updated info.

Nahariya sounds lovely according to FF's description. I had no idea American olim are moving there in significant numbers. It is way way up north, but there is a train (direct, I believe) to Tel Aviv, which makes things easier.

ora_43

Post Mon, Aug 08 2016, 5:02 am
Raisin wrote:
I should have mentioned, he did previously live in Israel for a year or two but came back. So he is somewhat familiar with parts of Israel. But I think he thinks of Israel as Tel Aviv and the surrounding areas.

Do you mean Netanya? Or another northern city?

Is Modiin affordable?

Modiin isn't really affordable, but after seeing other parts of the country he might decide he'd rather live in a small apartment somewhere expensive than a normal-sized apartment somewhere cheaper with very few English speakers.

But Tablepoetry has a good point re: it being a family city.

Does he like city living in general? If so, I suggest Haifa. Haifa is also only an hour from Tel Aviv by train.

mo5

Post Mon, Aug 08 2016, 7:04 am
Ra'anna has lots of Anglos and is more expensive but kfar Saba is right next door (and close to Tel aviv the centre) and might find cheaper smaller apartment there.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Mon, Aug 08 2016, 7:15 am
Friends of ours retired to Rechovot on a tight budget. There's an Anglo community of retirees, and public transportation is good.

israeliMD

Post Thu, Aug 18 2016, 4:21 pm
Beer Sheva has a decent sized English speaking community. I know of quite a few single English speaking retirees. The community is very diverse and welcoming with excellent healthcare. Public transportation is incredible and it is an easy commute on the train to Tel Aviv and the airport. Healthcare is excellent with a large hospital (Soroka) that offers all services.

You can get a small 1-2 bedroom home for under 2500 shekels with a shared yard. Apartments are cheaper.

The downsides are that all the newer buildings only have apartments that a minimum of 4 rooms (3 bedrooms) and that there is a decent segment of the population that speaks essentially zero English so you can end up in situations in which it is impossible to communicate.

Chavas

Post Thu, Aug 18 2016, 5:24 pm
I know a woman in the exact same situation. Maybe it's a shidduch? Please pm me.

Tel Tzion Ima

Post Sat, Sep 03 2016, 6:13 pm
Raisin, go to NBN website. You can look for communities and put in parameters such as affordability ranging 1 to 5 and stage of life, ie. family with young kids, family with older kids, seniors and charedi, DL, secular. I just did a search, and one of the places that came up is very close to me, Adam. It's a yishuv, half religious, half secular and is very close to Jerusalem. The Anglo population in Adam is small, but he'd be close enough to Jerusalem to find activities for himself there. Buses are very cheap, about 3 nis, and frequent, every 20 minutes or so.
Adam

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Sep 04 2016, 4:36 am
Raisin wrote:
Thanks, FF. That sounds possible. How much would a one bed apartment go for? (sale or rent)

Would he need a car? Are there good transport links to other parts of Israel?

I'm not sure how much a one bedroom is, but I know it's not much, depending on how close he wants to be to the beach. For every block you go away from the water, the prices drop dramatically. We have a 4 bedroom, 3 bath apartment with a huge merpesset, two blocks from the beach with ocean views, and we pay less than I did for a two bedroom, one bath in the US.

Transport is excellent. The central bus station goes everywhere, and the train line is nice, going straight to Tel Aviv, and from there you can connect to J'lem quite easily. All busses and trains run often. You can get anywhere in the city limits by taxi, for only 18 shekels flat rate. Drivers don't expect tips.

The uplan here is amazing. All of the teachers are very clear, patient, and understanding.

The community is mixed enough that he'll feel comfortable no matter where he is holding. I absolutely love it here!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions