Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
Secular novels for teens (girls)
Previous  1  2  3  4

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Aug 18 2016, 3:09 pm
dinatov wrote:
English teacher here. If your daughter is in a chassidishe school, chances are she'll be ok with reading books that are not specifically teenage books in the secular world. Try high level kids books.

Also, try the wave by Todd Strasser, absolutely amazing!

Any Gordon Korman. .

I love his stuff but read my earlier post.

amother
Brown

Post Thu, Aug 18 2016, 3:10 pm
I read an incredible book a copule of years ago - The Invisible Wall by Harry Bernstein.

It's the incredible, true story of his early life, growing up in the early 1900s in a small coal-mining town in England.

I'm not sure if it would fit all your needs, it's been a while, but I do remember it being pretty clean and it's a fantastic read.

It's written magnificnetly and in fascinating detail, especially considering that he only wrote it in his 90s!

amother
Honeydew

Post Thu, Aug 18 2016, 3:14 pm
sequoia wrote:
This is so sad.

Okay, did anyone else have 1984 censored while they were in high school?

The irony of it was lost on our English teacher, but we students found it hilarious.

Skippy!!

Post Thu, Aug 18 2016, 3:14 pm
Torah Umesorah has a secular book list that was very helpful for me when I was buying books.
http://www.chinuch.org/item_de.....ooks-

amother
Brown

Post Thu, Aug 18 2016, 3:35 pm
amother wrote:
Okay, did anyone else have 1984 censored while they were in high school?

The irony of it was lost on our English teacher, but we students found it hilarious.

Nope, but I spent one year in a school where we read Animal Farm as simply a story about animals. When some of us tried to discuss the whole point of the book, the teacher brushed us off and said "we're not learning it like that."

I'm serious.

amother
Honeydew

Post Thu, Aug 18 2016, 3:37 pm
amother wrote:
Nope, but I spent one year in a school where we read Animal Farm as simply a story about animals. When some of us tried to discuss the whole point of the book, the teacher brushed us off and said "we're not learning it like that."

I'm serious.

That sounds like one seriously incompetent teacher. It was coming from her or from the school?

amother
Green

Post Thu, Aug 18 2016, 5:15 pm
We learned Shakespeare in h.s. We had a teacher who wanted to teach The Merchant of Venice with the perspective that it was NOT anti-Semitic. Our principal said, go right ahead. We gave her a hard time ;-)
I'm trying to remember what else we read. In junior high, Treasure Island and Huckleberry Finn. Maybe Tom Sawyer too. And anything else by RL Stevenson? In h.s. we read Julius Caesar, Merchant, Macbeth, Hamlet, Death Be Not Proud and I don't remember what else if anything.

principalk8

Post Thu, Aug 18 2016, 7:37 pm
My teens enjoyed The Mysterious Benedict Society trilogy.

Prospect Park High School distributes a summer reading list to its students that's usually excellent.

petiteruchy

Post Thu, Aug 18 2016, 8:16 pm
principalk8 wrote:
My teens enjoyed The Mysterious Benedict Society trilogy.

Prospect Park High School distributes a summer reading list to its students that's usually excellent.

yes, that trilogy is excellent and quite a few of my 8's really enjoyed it. we had a couple copies that we passed around. I have access to a class set so I'm thinking I'll incorporate officially this year. I don't think it's quite advanced enough for a grade 9 class novel though.

do you have access to that reading list?

amother
Brown

Post Thu, Aug 18 2016, 8:29 pm
amother wrote:
That sounds like one seriously incompetent teacher. It was coming from her or from the school?

Probably the school.

I went to an excellent school the rest of the time, but I needed a year away, and boy was I in for a shock.

This school also had a choice between English or History. Whichever one you took in 9th grade, you'd take the other in 10th.

Talk about dysfunctional!

bigblueyes

Post Fri, Aug 19 2016, 3:24 am
Hey what about the chalet school girls? Anyone read those? Can't remember how old I was though, could be the same level as mallory towers and st clares which I adored. (Darrel!)
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children