Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Parenting classes

amother
Bronze

Post Thu, Aug 18 2016, 3:35 pm
In your opinion, if someone gives parenting classes but has no degree in anything related to children, education or psychology, is it right for them charge for private parenting sessions?

das

Post Thu, Aug 18 2016, 3:39 pm
Ppl can charge for whatever they want. I can charge for humming lessons if I so please. Dont employ her services if you dont like her credentials.

Chayalle

Post Thu, Aug 18 2016, 3:39 pm
Anyone can charge anything they like. In fact, I can start (with no degree or qualifications beyond having three fabulous daughters B"AH and being a member of one great website called imamother) to do private parenting sessions and charge $1000 a session. I don't know if I'll get any clients though.....

You should always check the qualifications of any "professionals" you go to, and don't sign up unless you are satisfied with their credentials......

sky

Post Thu, Aug 18 2016, 4:27 pm
Is it right to expect private parenting lessons for free?
If people want them to give of their time then they have the right to be paid for that time.

debsey

Post Thu, Aug 18 2016, 6:11 pm
Is it legal? Sure, provided that person doesn't misrepresent herself as a mental health professional. Professional title are regulated by the state. You can call yourself a "coach" or a "therapist" but not a doctor, psychologist, counselor, or social worker. Is it moral? My concern is that nominating yourself as a parenting expert with no training demonstrates a self confidence that borders on arrogance, and that would be a red flag for me. By what training are you an expert!? What's your expertise IN? (not you, OP, just the generic type of person u r referring to.)

kollel wife

Post Fri, Aug 19 2016, 10:28 am
A successful mother of a large family would be the perfect candidate for parenting classes. Although I'm a parent for many years, I would not be the first to recommend my parenting/disciplining. I know I'm not firm enough and could still use guidance. But I think I'd do a great job with infant care, feeding, and home organization for sure.

So in this case, I think it's the experience or lack thereof that matters.

debsey

Post Fri, Aug 19 2016, 10:43 am
kollel wife wrote:
A successful mother of a large family would be the perfect candidate for parenting classes. Although I'm a parent for many years, I would not be the first to recommend my parenting/disciplining. I know I'm not firm enough and could still use guidance. But I think I'd do a great job with infant care, feeding, and home organization for sure.

So that's what you are basing your expertise on. At least that's a basis. "I'm good at home organization because my home is organized and I have lots of kids" that's a solid foundation to offer expertise.

But how do you offer parenting expertise? Any parent who thinks "I have great kids so therefore I must be a great parent" is kidding herself. The greatness (and lack thereof) of kids is at least 50% nature, and has to do with that child's own inborn traits and life circumstances.

"I have awful kids so I know all the mistakes not to make" also doesn't really sell me. There has to be a basis for expertise!

Miri7

Post Fri, Aug 19 2016, 10:59 am
Most of the people that I see offering parenting classes who do not hold a professional degree (psychologist, licensed therapist, etc) have gotten "certification" to teach one (or more) of the parenting methodologies, like positive discipline or something else. That is listed on their ads and business cards.

Chayalle

Post Fri, Aug 19 2016, 11:12 am
debsey wrote:
But how do you offer parenting expertise? Any parent who thinks "I have great kids so therefore I must be a great parent" is kidding herself. The greatness (and lack thereof) of kids is at least 50% nature, and has to do with that child's own inborn traits and life circumstances.

"I have awful kids so I know all the mistakes not to make" also doesn't really sell me. There has to be a basis for expertise!

I actually have gotten great advice, as a parent, from other parents who told me "my kid was tough in this and this way, and here's what I tried, and it helped alot".

For example, a neighbor of mine joined me walking to Megillah one Purim night after a particularly tough day with my DD....and she offered me the insight of strong-willed children needing lots of choices, and how to word my requests as choices rather than commands. It changed my life with this particular child, and within a week it cut getting-her-dressed-in-the-morning-time in half, not to mention a drastic reduction in temper tantrums.

From one Mom who had such a child to another......

debsey

Post Fri, Aug 19 2016, 11:18 am
Chayalle wrote:
I actually have gotten great advice, as a parent, from other parents who told me "my kid was tough in this and this way, and here's what I tried, and it helped alot".

For example, a neighbor of mine joined me walking to Megillah one Purim night after a particularly tough day with my DD....and she offered me the insight of strong-willed children needing lots of choices, and how to word my requests as choices rather than commands. It changed my life with this particular child, and within a week it cut getting-her-dressed-in-the-morning-time in half, not to mention a drastic reduction in temper tantrums.

From one Mom who had such a child to another......

And were you paying her money for this conversation? Moms learn from each other all the time. It's advertising and charging based on no formal training that I object to. The situation is rife with potential for abuse.

Chayalle

Post Fri, Aug 19 2016, 11:21 am
debsey wrote:
And were you paying her money for this conversation? Moms learn from each other all the time. It's advertising and charging based on no formal training that I object to. The situation is rife with potential for abuse.

No, her advice was totally free, though she did tell me she took Dina Friedman's parenting course and that Dina discusses this type of child. I actually signed up for that course at a later point but never finished it....

I agree, there should be some sort of formal training, not just "I'm a mother of angels, I'm Rav-so-and-so's daughter, and I can tell you how to parent". And anyone who signs up for a course should do some research as to what they are getting for their money.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Fri, Aug 19 2016, 11:52 am
kollel wife wrote:

In this case you would have to quantify what 'a successful mother' means to you. Fertility isn't necessarily the mark of a successful parent.

debsey

Post Fri, Aug 19 2016, 12:05 pm
Chayalle wrote:
No, her advice was totally free, though she did tell me she took Dina Friedman's parenting course and that Dina discusses this type of child. I actually signed up for that course at a later point but never finished it....

I agree, there should be some sort of formal training, not just "I'm a mother of angels, I'm Rav-so-and-so's daughter, and I can tell you how to parent". And anyone who signs up for a course should do some research as to what they are getting for their money.

Dr. Koslowitz teaches a class specifically on this child. I think she recommends offering choices but only 2 because this type of brain tends to get easily overwhelmed by a multiplicity of options. What can I say? I'm a snob for credentials. If you're not credentialed, I just have a hard time trusting what you say, no matter how many "testimonials" I read.

Chayalle

Post Fri, Aug 19 2016, 1:24 pm
debsey wrote:
Dr. Koslowitz teaches a class specifically on this child. I think she recommends offering choices but only 2 because this type of brain tends to get easily overwhelmed by a multiplicity of options. What can I say? I'm a snob for credentials. If you're not credentialed, I just have a hard time trusting what you say, no matter how many "testimonials" I read.

Totally! I always tell DH, don't flood her with options or she goes nuts! Just say, this one or this one?

I hear you about the credentials.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics