Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene
Solstice honey moon

greenfire

Post Mon, Jun 20 2016, 5:04 pm
the full moon + the summer solstice = a honey amber coloured moon

this has not happened since 1948 ~ so everybody go out tonight June 20, 2016 & howl at the moon or at minimum say קידוש לבנה since it's the last night

greenfire

Post Tue, Jun 21 2016, 1:13 pm
did anybody go see the moon ... after a nice walk, I fell asleep watching it from the window

water_bear88

Post Tue, Jun 21 2016, 1:18 pm
I saw it tonight- not the most amber-colored I've seen it, but definitely yellowish when it was still near the horizon. Thanks for the neat info!

greenfire

Post Fri, Jul 22 2016, 9:46 am
to continue the story of the full moon ... this week I went on the beach to watch the sunset as well as the full moon rise ... all whilst listening to the high tides splash it's waves onto the dark wet sand

it was a stunning crimson colour as it rose by the horizons edge & slowly turned lighter and lighter orange to yellow as it rose higher and higher ~ WOW just wow

greenfire

Post Fri, Aug 19 2016, 11:13 am
time for that full moon for tu b'av ... gotta tell you it was different this month ... light pink as it rose to it's glory of bright yellow fullness

I am learning so much about the moon ... it varies way more than we notice - from rising times [changes like 40 minutes later each day even rises in the daytime], to azimuth and elevation degrees [last night was 102.51°] where it rises, to height to colour

greenfire

Post Wed, Sep 14 2016, 9:36 pm
not only do we have a harvest full moon coming up on friday ... but we will also have a lunar eclipse

only to be viewed on the other side of my world ~ think europe & australia

greenfire

Post Mon, Nov 14 2016, 10:26 am
november will have a 'supermoon' and so when you view the full moon tonight ... or watch it rise upon the horizon know that it will be closer to the earth & larger & brighter view than usual ...

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-37969538

Iymnok

Post Mon, Nov 14 2016, 10:40 am
I thought that was last night.
Though not as impressive on the israel side of the globe.

greenfire

Post Sun, Jul 09 2017, 1:53 pm
so I'm continuing my moon watching escapades

last night was a kool summer breeze ... but the moon rise was too soon before sunset & it was too cloudy

tonight is the night moonrise with a full moon rising 115°east/southeast at 9:20 pm cleveland time

if you're in brooklyn sunset on the beach is 8:28 & moonrise 8:46 pm perfect for a romantic walk on the beach overlooking the ocean with clear skies [it's okay to love yourself & enjoy god's gift of nature]

MagentaYenta

Post Sun, Jul 09 2017, 4:22 pm
I'm happy to join your lunacy. It's been beautiful here at night and I live in an area with little light pollution so I get to see the Milky Way with some ease.

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Jul 09 2017, 4:54 pm
And it just might be a LUNatic you're looking for.
Thanks for the heads up!

greenfire

Post Sun, Jul 09 2017, 8:38 pm
'twas a truly beautiful blood orange ... not as bright crimson or close as last year ... but full & wonderful next to the high tide with my feet in the water ... as close to heaven as I can get on earth & believe it or not you can see the stars over the beach in brooklyn [the trick is to walk far away from the buildings & city lights and turn away]

shirachadasha

Post Mon, Jul 10 2017, 4:07 am
Are you gearing up for the eclipse?

greenfire

Post Mon, Jul 10 2017, 9:29 am
shirachadasha wrote:
Are you gearing up for the eclipse?

https://eclipse2017.nasa.gov/e.....d-how

August 21, 2017 ~ looks like I might get a better view in Carbondale, Illinois. Maybe I'll head to chicago Wink

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Jul 10 2017, 10:14 am
greenfire wrote:
https://eclipse2017.nasa.gov/eclipse-who-what-where-when-and-how

August 21, 2017 ~ looks like I might get a better view in Carbondale, Illinois. Maybe I'll head to chicago Wink

I've seen ads for a viewing in Missouri with zemanim aficionado Rabbi Dovid Heber of Baltimore.

penguin

Post Mon, Jul 10 2017, 12:16 pm
Wait- Greenie, Lake Erie has tides? Or were you visiting the coast?

greenfire

Post Mon, Jul 10 2017, 12:29 pm
penguin wrote:
Wait- Greenie, Lake Erie has tides? Or were you visiting the coast?

the answer is a definitive yes ... a lake has tides but not everywhere & not all seasons & not quite as high as an ocean

which is precisely why I love the ocean - it's ALIVE !!! [& the full moon has a higher tide]

yes I'm on the east coast vs the north Smile

SixOfWands

Post Mon, Jul 10 2017, 1:32 pm
greenfire wrote:
https://eclipse2017.nasa.gov/eclipse-who-what-where-when-and-how

We're driving one of the kids to college that day. Should be interesting. Only a partial eclipse there, though.

MagentaYenta

Post Mon, Jul 10 2017, 2:41 pm
I am in the path of totality. It's likely I'll set the alarm, go out and have coffee in the unfenced yard which comes with the best views. I will avoid town at all costs that week. Hotels are booked, parking spaces are rented and there are immense amounts of emergency planning taking place. It's estimated that my town of 50k (when students are present) will be hosting close to 250k people. There are serious questions as to whether our sewage treatment facility can handle the outflow of the influx.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics