Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Most Inspirational First Day?

dinatov

Post Fri, Aug 19 2016, 11:00 am
What do you think is the most inspirational message a teacher can give over on the first day of school? (Secular studies)

singleagain

Post Sun, Aug 21 2016, 1:14 pm
any specific subject?
what year?

I for one, would have appreciated teachers acknowledging that each student is different. that we all have different strengths. that the teacher will not try and fit us all into the same mold. that differences do not make us any less of a person.

one of my favorite teachers, was my fifth grade english/secular studies teachers, at thanksgiving, she wrote a poem and shared it with us, highlighting something positive about each girl. one line I remember "[this girl] had great questions always asking why, luckily when miss [teacher] has no clue your teacher becomes [that girl (whose name rhymed with why)]" --- that was very wonderful, and I'd suggest doing something like that, in a few months after you get to know the students.

one of my best classes, was my 11th grade history class, bc the teacher did all sorts of different projects/test etc bc I happen to not do well on tests and papers and such, but give me an oral/creative report and I do much better

some ppl work better in groups, some work better alone

if you can arrange your class like that, I think that would be amazing

----

also, a side note: I remember when I was in 6th grade, we did a bat mitzvah play for our mothers. and I had a duet with a classmate. I was absent one day during practice and another girl stood in for me, and then the teacher made us a trio, I remember being so upset, felt like I was being pushed out... I know I didn't have the best voice, but it felt like the teacher was punishing me for that, or for being absent.

and in fourth grade, we did a play where each girl had a four line stanza. some girls had more than one stanza... I don't know how that was chosen, but to a 4th grader, it really didn't seem fair.. so if you have situations like that, I'd suggest making sure to add so everyone has the same

remember it's hard enough that at home children can perceive things as unfair, don't let that happen in school
---

bottom line:

let each child know that you will treat them like the individual person they are. and then FOLLOW up on that.

greenfire

Post Sun, Aug 21 2016, 1:48 pm
if you don't know, why are you teaching

[just the reason I could never teach - I would be afraid of not knowing that I would have what it takes to inspire the growth of an innocent child]

greenfire

Post Wed, Aug 24 2016, 11:06 am
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics