Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
OU barley alert

amother
Seagreen

Post Mon, Aug 15 2016, 1:08 pm
OU – Unger’s Pearled Barley
Brand
Unger's
Product
Pearled Barley
Company
Quality Frozen Foods
Issue
Unger's Pearled Barley, in particular lot #26917 and #62318, has been found to be infested and should not be used without checking the product thoroughly. Measures are being taken to prevent the rampant infestation of the barley.

anotherima

Post Mon, Aug 15 2016, 1:11 pm
amother wrote:
OU – Unger’s Pearled Barley
Brand
Unger's
Product
Pearled Barley
Company
Quality Frozen Foods
Issue
Unger's Pearled Barley, in particular lot #26917 and #62318, has been found to be infested and should not be used without checking the product thoroughly. Measures are being taken to prevent the rampant infestation of the barley.

Source please?

self-actualization

Post Mon, Aug 15 2016, 1:22 pm
That's crazy - I once had an infested bag of Unger's pearl barley and since then, for years, I have been buying only Gefen brand and also checking the barley twice in cold water. People think I am nuts and I have been questioned about this but once you get an infested bag you become very cautious going forward. This was likely around 3 years ago and the bugs looked exactly like the center part of the barley. I saw something that seemed suspicious in the bag and when I poured it into a bowl of cold water the bugs came floating to the top. Since then I have been checking my barley in first a cup of cold water and then a bowl of cold water before I will add it to my chulent.

veiznisht

Post Mon, Aug 15 2016, 1:29 pm
anotherima wrote:
Source please?

I'm not OP but I found the alert here.

pesek zman

Post Mon, Aug 15 2016, 2:17 pm
I always keep my barley in the fridge

greenfire

Post Mon, Aug 15 2016, 2:20 pm
that's why some of us stay away from the kosher brand names

amother
Goldenrod

Post Sun, Aug 21 2016, 3:55 am
What type of bug is it? Dealing with an infestation and want to know if this was the origin?

happyone

Post Sun, Aug 21 2016, 10:22 am
I keep all barley, pasta and rice in the freezer since having infestation with non jewish brand many years ago. It eliminated the problem for me
Stays fresh

octopus

Post Sun, Aug 21 2016, 1:03 pm
I keep my barley in freezer and always soak/rinse before putting in cholent. I stopped buying ungers years ago because whenever I soaked and checked, it had bugs or just pieces of dirt.

cheese cake

Post Sun, Aug 21 2016, 1:17 pm
Thanks for posting. I actually just bought some, I'm going to check them carefully
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen