Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
SAR Academy in Riverdale

amother
Turquoise

Post Sun, Aug 21 2016, 5:06 pm
Does anyone send their child(ren) to this school? My little ones are too young for school but we just moved to Riverdale and looking into surrounding schools (which isn't much). Love it here but it definitely doesn't have the Brooklyn convenience.

amother
Teal

Post Sun, Aug 21 2016, 5:50 pm
It is supposed to be a superb college prep school (at the HS level). I live elsewhere in the tri-state area, so this is by reputation only, not personal experience.

Teaneck-area schools are also not so far away.

amother
Ivory

Post Sun, Aug 21 2016, 9:45 pm
SAR is an excellent school, in both kodesh and chol, and has tremendous resources so can deal with many types of students. It's the most expensive school in the NY area, but that buys much of the quality. They are left wing MO.

amother
Orange

Post Sun, Aug 21 2016, 9:46 pm
Hearsay only:

SAR is supposedly very innovative when it comes to education. They have an interesting layout for their classrooms which is supposed to promote cooperative learning or something like that. They're very into the individual and exploring each child's capabilities. I think it's very expensive though.

Have you checked out their website? http://www.saracademy.org

It's quite a modern school. Are you MO?

amother
Green

Post Mon, Aug 22 2016, 1:48 am
I'm from Riverdale, just want to say hi! Welcome!

I don't have any personal experience with SAR - just want to let you know lots of people here send to YNJ, YKM and some to Breuers... Just a few more names to look into Smile
Good luck!

amother
Scarlet

Post Mon, Aug 22 2016, 9:06 am
Very expensive, but if you can afford to live in rdale, maybe it's not too expensive for you.
Very modern.
Not for everyone. Some kids thrive in the "school without walls" environment. Not if the kid really needs a traditional classroom setting. You can hear spillover noise from other classrooms.
Very child-centered. Too much so for some people. Not real big on disicipline. Some kids thrive on this, but you need to know your kid. Some kids, given an inch, take a mile and run wild.
Lots of kids with major entitlement complexes.
Lots of enrichment and nontraditional activities that let kids shine sho might not shine in the regular academic sphere.
Excellent academic reputation. They have the bucks to hire the best.

amother
Azure

Post Mon, Aug 22 2016, 10:21 am
My friend is a teacher there, so I've heard what goes on on the inside, and I am also from the tri-state area so I know a fair amount about the schools in the area, an my relatives went there several years back. Out of all the Jewish schools in the tri-state area, SAR is one of the top in terms of academics, and also the most catering and flexible for each child. If you have a child who is even a little out of the box (learning disabilities, giftedness, or even just learning style), SAR will accommodate and many other schools will force your child to learn like everyone else, whether it is good for them or not. It is a fantastic school, both academically and in terms of how dedicated the staff is (more so than in many other Jewish school I've encountered personally). It is definitely one of the more modern schools in the tri-state area.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics