Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Need Chizuk!

amother
Aqua

Post Wed, Aug 17 2016, 5:27 pm
Help! I feel like crying. and hardest part of it all is that I can't/don't want to share with anyone.
I just had a professional saying that my 4 year old might have learning issues according to what he sees in other areas about him.
nervous to tell my dh about it because or he'll be hysterical or laugh at it ("Who says its true?!) Which I can't handle either response now.
he's still young now, so can't tell.

Hope this professional is wrong. but can't know since not doing any major learning yet.

imasinger

Post Wed, Aug 17 2016, 5:37 pm
Hugs. The initial shock is the hardest.

Whether the professional is right or wrong, qualifying to get extra help is a lucky break for you. The earlier these things are treated, the better.

Don't let DH or anyone else stand in the way of getting help ASAP.

Sometimes, kids outgrow these things, or are misdiagnosed. But extra help never hurts.

PAMOM

Post Wed, Aug 17 2016, 6:20 pm
Aqua, did your child have an actual formal evaluation or someone in the field who was casually observing him say this? Two more points: you said "might," and if a formal evaluate reveals problems, think how lucky DC will be that you were able to start helping him so early.

flowerpower

Post Wed, Aug 17 2016, 7:10 pm
Why did you do an eval in first place?
There are so many amazing resources out there these days. Take each day at a time.
What made him say that he may have issues?

amother
Aqua

Post Thu, Aug 18 2016, 11:11 am
imasinger wrote:
Hugs. The initial shock is the hardest.

Whether the professional is right or wrong, qualifying to get extra help is a lucky break for you. The earlier these things are treated, the better.

Don't let DH or anyone else stand in the way of getting help ASAP.

Sometimes, kids outgrow these things, or are misdiagnosed. But extra help never hurts.

thanks. What do u mean by extra help? what help should I get for him now that he's not learning yet. so not like I need a tutor. anything else?

987gold

Post Thu, Aug 18 2016, 11:20 am
4 year olds learn plenty, aside from aleph bais, abc, there are shapes, colors, socially appropriate play, pretend play, imagination play, counting, parsha...speak to any seit in brooklyn and they will share with you goals to be worked on. Early detection means early help which would be great!

amother
Aqua

Post Thu, Aug 18 2016, 11:24 am
987gold wrote:
4 year olds learn plenty, aside from aleph bais, abc, there are shapes, colors, socially appropriate play, pretend play, imagination play, counting, parsha...speak to any seit in brooklyn and they will share with you goals to be worked on. Early detection means early help which would be great!

thx.
he knows shapes, colors
knows how to count
usually knows parshah
he has a siet.

for now he's okay academically. I'm nervous about future when doing "real" learning.
how can I help him now for then

imasinger

Post Thu, Aug 18 2016, 11:24 am
The first step is to get a real evaluation. Ask locally what is the quickest way to do that, as it can take months.

If there are any concerns, the evaluator should be able to guide you towards resources.

If you know anyone who is using a SEIT, they can help you navigate.

ETA:. We cross posted. Never mind. Ask your SEIT for more info. Maybe OT if there are fine motor control issues? Since you didn't say what the problem was, we can't be very specific about resources.

amother
Aqua

Post Thu, Aug 18 2016, 10:31 pm
imasinger wrote:
The first step is to get a real evaluation. Ask locally what is the quickest way to do that, as it can take months.

If there are any concerns, the evaluator should be able to guide you towards resources.

If you know anyone who is using a SEIT, they can help you navigate.

ETA:. We cross posted. Never mind. Ask your SEIT for more info. Maybe OT if there are fine motor control issues? Since you didn't say what the problem was, we can't be very specific about resources.

He has typical services already, such as speech, OT, PT and seit.
What I do for learning? or is waiting only answer??

real didn't wanna give details because I was nervous about bashing...
so please be sensitive everyone.

I had him checked out by someone thats into homeopathic, energy and degree in lot of different areas. because he has social issues, physical delays, and other stuff that couldnt get help.

I did my research on this person. and there are a lot of success and by him was able to pinpoint his issues before even discussed. and giving him stuff to help him.

this person is experienced in knowing exactly which body strength/weakness effects what and saw that his weakness works with the brain and could cause learning issues.

I hope was clear enough. this is just in short

amother
Sapphire

Post Thu, Aug 18 2016, 11:05 pm
So it sounds like you already know your child has delays since he is getting services? Hugs, it sounds like your doing the right thing.

amother
Slategray

Post Thu, Aug 18 2016, 11:19 pm
So did this person give you advice, or just told you that he is likely to have challenges?

I'd suggest going back to him and finding out the best way to support your child based on his diagnosis.

amother
Wine

Post Mon, Aug 22 2016, 2:44 pm
Hashem can help in lots of different ways. It's Hashem who has power, not the method. But you have to do correct and sufficient hishtadlut. So it's a good idea to do traditional and alternative methods at the same time. And keep in mind that none of them really work- they are tools to allow Hashem to help you in a hidden way in this world.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics