Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Do people really tip at camp?!
1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
Green

Post Tue, Aug 23 2016, 7:05 am
I have four kids in day camps this year, and it's NOT cheap. Going through the recommended tip lists, I'd be paying close to $100 more, per kid in tips--??? That's an extra $400 dollars after already high camp fees ans extra trip fees. I don't get it.

Is it rude if I don't give, even though my kids had a good summer and got personal attention? Can I give less (much less) than the recommendation, or is that belittling and demeaning??

Amelia Bedelia

Post Tue, Aug 23 2016, 7:08 am
I know it's hard, but I definitely think you should give. However, I don't think you need to give more than $15 per counselor.

amother
Navy

Post Tue, Aug 23 2016, 7:11 am
Yes, you do need to tip. Counselors earn peanuts for very hard work. They rely on tips to make the job worthwhile.

amother
Green

Post Tue, Aug 23 2016, 7:17 am
amother wrote:
Yes, you do need to tip. Counselors earn peanuts for very hard work. They rely on tips to make the job worthwhile.

I don't get it. I pay so much for camp. An extra several hundred dollar lump payment to show "hakaras hatov" seems really unfair.

amother
Green

Post Tue, Aug 23 2016, 7:18 am
Amelia Bedelia wrote:
I know it's hard, but I definitely think you should give. However, I don't think you need to give more than $15 per counselor.

How about rebbes? And are older marries counsellors the same? Can I skip the bus driver and bus moniter?

saw50st8

Post Tue, Aug 23 2016, 7:30 am
amother wrote:
I don't get it. I pay so much for camp. An extra several hundred dollar lump payment to show "hakaras hatov" seems really unfair.

I agree, but if you don't tip, you are stiffing young kids. So yes, even though it's painful, we tip.

I don't tip the adults however. They have the capacity to negotiate salary and whatnot and often get additional benefits (like free camp for their kids).

Delores

Post Tue, Aug 23 2016, 7:31 am
You can give less than the suggested tip but you should tip.

gp2.0

Post Tue, Aug 23 2016, 7:31 am
The daycamp I send to has it at $50/kid.

$5 for bus driver
$5 for bus monitor
$10 for assistant counselor x 2
$20 for main counselor

If I had a few kids, I'd do:
$2.50 for driver per kid
$2.50 for bus monitor per kid
$8 for assistant counselor per kid
$12-$15 for main counselor per kid

amother
Goldenrod

Post Tue, Aug 23 2016, 7:34 am
My sons tipping schedule was crazy that if I listened to it it would have been $200 extra per kid. I only tipped the counsellors that I actually met and spoke with throughout the summer. I drop my son off and pick him up every day and if I never even heard this kids name suddenly I should tip him. They wanted $60 for learning rebbe and learning rebbe was his counsellor it wasn't real learning and $50 per counsellors times two and $30 per jc times two or three. It doesn't make sense parents don't have the money to pay another camp fee.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Aug 23 2016, 7:35 am
We pay about $40-45 per kid per half. So yes, $85 per kid for 8 weeks of day camp. (More like $200 for overnight camp.) I pay per half so I'm not paying as much in one shot.
The extras just keep piling up Sad But tipping something even if not the full amount is important if you can squeeze it. Remember when you were the counselor.

notshanarishona

Post Tue, Aug 23 2016, 8:04 am
I second just tipping the teenagers.
Also, if you really can't afford it, give $10 a counselor and not $25. Just something.
The adults I agree it's their problem if they agreeed to a low salary and are normally getting a decent amount.

amother
Cerulean

Post Tue, Aug 23 2016, 8:09 am
Our tipping schedule for full summer:
$60 a Morah
$50 an assistant
$36 senior counselor
$24 junior counselor
$10 specialty
$20 bus driver
$20 bus monitor

Each kid had a Morah, assistant, and at least 2 counsellors. Never mind that day camp is double daycare.

This Brooklyn.

trixx

Post Tue, Aug 23 2016, 8:27 am
If you won't tip, at least send a nice handwritten nice. Counselors work hard.
Tipping bus monitors and learning teachers is in my opinion ridiculous. But main counselors especially in overnight camp work very very hard.

heidi

Post Tue, Aug 23 2016, 8:39 am
My daughter worked as a JC in a well known girl's overnight camp this summer.
Her salary? $100 per half. So $200 total. Oh, and she gave shiur so made an extra $25 per half. I actually told her not to work for such a paltry sum, but she insisted. Well, a couple weeks in, she was mentally and physically exhausted. The tips parents gave on visiting day made her feel sooooo appreciated. It really gave her a boost.
Just a peek from the other side.

polka dots

Post Tue, Aug 23 2016, 8:47 am
Appreciation doesn't need to come in the form of $$. A little gift, chocolate, note... can just as much show how much you appreciate their work and dedication.

And in regard to tipping, I would rather tip the counselors who work directly with the children than higher ups....

amother
Smokey

Post Tue, Aug 23 2016, 8:50 am
Wow, I have never heard of this. None of the camps my child went to ever included tipping and if anything, it would not be allowed.

amother
Orange

Post Tue, Aug 23 2016, 9:00 am
amother wrote:

Do you feel that your children are not getting your money's worth in camp activities?

Also, I feel like if I was okay to shell out the $3,000+ per child that camps costs, I shouldn't make a fuss about an additional $150 that would benefit the hard working counsellors.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Tue, Aug 23 2016, 9:06 am
The reason why I pay the money is because I need a place to send them for eight weeks. And yes I sent to five camps this summer some of them I felt that the money was worth it and some I felt the camp ripped me off with very little trips and no arts and crafts only sports that's free.

Also the teenagers that work are also working so parents don't have to pay for them to go to camp and they do have fun too and they go on the trips and such. I don't think any teenager is working for tips.

And yes some counselors deserve the money but some don't and appreciation can be a letter or chocolates. If a family is stretching themselves to pay for day camp they don't have to pay tips too. Would you really rather a mother tip your teenage child and then not have food for her kids for a week.

momX4

Post Tue, Aug 23 2016, 9:12 am
I give $10 per half for every counselor, jc or cit. If the Rebbe is older, I do $20 per half, if its just another bunks counselor I do $10 a half. If the rebbe is older then my boys learn or hear a story, otherwise its supervised hefker time, as per my boys.

My question: do you tip counselors that run their own camp?

amother
Orange

Post Tue, Aug 23 2016, 9:16 am
amother wrote:
The reason why I pay the money is because I need a place to send them for eight weeks. And yes I sent to five camps this summer some of them I felt that the money was worth it and some I felt the camp ripped me off with very little trips and no arts and crafts only sports that's free.

Also the teenagers that work are also working so parents don't have to pay for them to go to camp and they do have fun too and they go on the trips and such. I don't think any teenager is working for tips.

And yes some counselors deserve the money but some don't and appreciation can be a letter or chocolates. If a family is stretching themselves to pay for day camp they don't have to pay tips too. Would you really rather a mother tip your teenage child and then not have food for her kids for a week.

If you needed a place to send your kids for eight weeks, you also need to understand that that comes along with additional expenses.
I am sure that a lot of of those counsellors are in fact working for tips, it's like any other summer job and they may be saving up for college or seminary or whatever.

And if a mother really has to choose between tipping or buying food, she obviously didn't make a very smart financial decision when she decided to send her kids to camp in the first place.
Page 1 of 5 1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children