Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism
Can somebody who has learned a lot of Torah please explain
Previous  1  2

MitzadSheini

Post Mon, Aug 22 2016, 9:50 pm
Imalady you made me laugh too.

It is actually a practical question, not a theoretical question.

Never mind.

Last edited by MitzadSheini on Mon, Aug 22 2016, 10:31 pm; edited 1 time in total

Ashrei

Post Mon, Aug 22 2016, 10:28 pm
The OP's question has twisted my brain into a pretzel.

MitzadSheini

Post Mon, Aug 22 2016, 10:33 pm
Ashrei - we are having a great party now.... Sushi 🍣. Pretzels ... Yum πŸ˜‹

Ashrei

Post Mon, Aug 22 2016, 10:34 pm
MitzadSheini wrote:
Ashrei - we are having a great party now.... Sushi 🍣. Pretzels ... Yum πŸ˜‹

And twister!

Finally it's starting to make sense! LOL

MitzadSheini

Post Mon, Aug 22 2016, 10:47 pm
Twister... Ha.

I dunno... Sometimes I just get in these moods and write what's in my head.... And then the fog clears a bit by reading someone else's perspective.
Thanks for writing everyone.

sushilover

Post Mon, Aug 22 2016, 10:59 pm
MitzadSheini wrote:
Sushilover (o also n like the taste of sushi!) I like what you wrote. It's just at the exact moment of the jab (which is hours or days, not a moment) all I feel is the jab. More of a beating the a jab. And you know tomorrow there will be another and another. And as soon as you get used to this one it will get worse.

Have any of us here reached the point where we can say "Baruch Dayan Ha Emes" with a full heart? So we say it with a breaking heart. Do you think that is any less precious to Hashem?

It's a lifetime's work to come to true understanding of Hashem. We have to work on it every day.
You ever heard Abie Rottenberg's song "The Teardrop"? Sometimes we are so surrounded by messages of the importance of positivity and simcha, that we think that crying and being heartbroken is a sin. There is a time and place for everything. Just because there were big tzaddikim who danced when facing their deaths, doesn't mean we have to feel guilty for crying when we are in pain.
I hope one day I can reach the point where I am truly at peace knowing and feeling that all the pain is for the good. For now I just have to be happy with simply knowing the theory (which for me is a huge step). One day, with a lot of effort and learning, I'm sure, I'll be able to really internalize it.

Chavas

Post Mon, Aug 22 2016, 11:12 pm
I think it would be great for you to spend time listening to shiurim, reading hashkafa sefarim etc.

MitzadSheini

Post Mon, Aug 22 2016, 11:28 pm
Chavas wrote:
I think it would be great for you to spend time listening to shiurim, reading hashkafa sefarim etc.

You see I do that, but I haven't gotten to something that really helps me in the heat of moment. Although the iggeret haRamban is quite good for this.

TranquilityAndPeace

Post Mon, Aug 22 2016, 11:52 pm
MitzadSheini wrote:
Therapist? Maybe.

But there are people who, at the moment they are right in the middle of a terrorist attack, experience Hashem's love. Sarah Yocheved Reigler writes about this in the book God Winked.

My life is BH not full of terrorist attacks. But still- how do you actually get to that point?

First of all, I wish my screen name was chocolate truffles for the partyπŸ˜€

What you're describing is a very high level!!!

It starts with self love.

We can't love Hashem without loving ourselves.

In fact, true self love is the equivalent of loving Hashem because our soul is a real part of G-d.

So the beginning of the journey is accepting yourself. Not second guessing yourself or beating yourself up or feeling guilty. Just accepting that you are EXACTLY where G-d wants you to be now, and your decisions that you recently made are precisely the ones He wanted you to make. Even if they were sins! For the future, you'll learn from your mistakes and do your best at the level that you're on now with G-d's help.

He is breathing us and beating our hearts and watching us every second of every day. He wants our happiness.

It can take several lifetimes to truly integrate these beliefs. And most of us can get in touch with some level of these beliefs here and there, yet not all the time.

After you accept yourself, then you'll go on to like yourself. And then love yourself. And that's where you find yourself feeling G-d's embrace in the joy and in the pain.

Or so I've been told. I'm working along the same journey. Sometimes I can see and feel glimpses of achievement in this arena, and other times I feel trillions of light years away.

And many (((hugs))). G-d is the greatest hugger. And He will never stop forever.

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Aug 23 2016, 9:23 am
MitzadSheini wrote:
I think I worked out what I'm trying to get from this thread. These 7 haftorahs are all very well. But what if your whole existence feels like the 3 weeks? How can you get to see the kruvim embracing each other in the middle of everything? It is possible, because I have done it. But I can't do it every time. And why is it that when I look back on that one successful time, in retrospect I'm not even sure if I was worth it?

There is the concept of the Soton milfaneinu u'meiachareinu. We all get the Soton milfaneinu, facing us head on. But we have to be prepared for the Soton meiachareinu, that makes us look at our successes in negative lights. I first heard this concept apropos to the akeidah. Avrohom's challenge in mourning Sora was to mourn her properly, without a tinge of, "If only I wouldn't have done the akeidah she wouldn't have been shocked into dying."

Cherish that success. Heartily endorse yourself for it. Don't consider it an aberration, and hugs and hatzlacha for the future.

MitzadSheini

Post Tue, Aug 23 2016, 3:17 pm
Thank you tranquilityandpeace and pf for your kind words (I'll take t&p any day over chocolate truffles, but what better place to store the truffles than in a pink fridge).

Appropos t&p's comments and in general this thread, the spread the love thread, and the grabbing cucumbers in the supermarket thread I was reminded of a story that happened to me many years ago in machane yehuda . I was buying sweet potato and as I picked up a very heavy one and swung around to put it in my basket, I accidentally whacked a very elderly looking woman in the face (with the sweet potato). As I turned to apologize, she actually said to me something like "let it be a kapara for me, thank you". At the time, I probably started saying to myself- ugh you idiot, why can't you be more careful etc etc etc. Now I realize that what I should have said to myself was Thank you Hashem for putting me in the presence of such a holy woman. See that's what I mean- at the EXACT moment of the difficulty to experience the pain as a manifestation of Hashem's love, as that woman did.

Guess I'm just absolutely no where near that level and am never likely to even get close- but THAT's OK!

TranquilityAndPeace

Post Tue, Aug 23 2016, 4:51 pm
MitzadSheini wrote:
I was reminded of a story that happened to me many years ago in machane yehuda . I was buying sweet potato and as I picked up a very heavy one and swung around to put it in my basket, I accidentally whacked a very elderly looking woman in the face (with the sweet potato). As I turned to apologize, she actually said to me something like "let it be a kapara for me, thank you". At the time, I probably started saying to myself- ugh you idiot, why can't you be more careful etc etc etc. Now I realize that what I should have said to myself was Thank you Hashem for putting me in the presence of such a holy woman. See that's what I mean- at the EXACT moment of the difficulty to experience the pain as a manifestation of Hashem's love, as that woman did.

Guess I'm just absolutely no where near that level and am never likely to even get close- but THAT's OK!

The Gemara describes very small things as being considered painful. Reaching into our pocket for 3 coins and only taking out 2. (The opposite is not considered pain, taking out 3 instead of 2, because it's not painful to put money back into our pockets!). And getting a jacket back from the tailor that doesn't fit. I don't remember what else.

I guess when those kinds of tiny things happen, to thank Hashem for the pain that brings us closer to Him, through a kaparah or punishment or a jolt to remind us to think of Him. And only by wholeheartedly thanking Hashem for causing us to take out two dimes instead of 3 dimes, can we eventually thank Him for those huge painful parts of life that we all experience.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics