Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
House help: full day vs. live-in/nanny/baby nurse

amother
Magenta

Post Tue, Aug 23 2016, 11:37 pm
I'm anticipating iyh a good and hectic period in life when I'm going to need hired household help with cleaning, laundry, kids etc.

There are many options in theory, from hourly cleaning ladies to live-ins and anything in between. What have you experienced and would/wouldn't recommend?

Specifically looking for advice about auch aspects as accommodations (separate bedroom, or same as newborn, same floor as yours or better away), need for an available bathroom away from your own, providing meals, kitchen kashrut and supervision issues etc. and of course cost: which way is most economical? For the reference, I'm in lakewood.

Remembering from past, my most hectic times were school day mornings, getting kids ready for school, fed, dressed and out of the house. Then afternoons and bedtimes when I couldn't physically handle things that involved any lifting, like bathing a toddler, carrying laundry + I would be busy with the baby and big kids would end up going to bed much later than they should.

plus of course there is regular laundry, housecleaning, floors etc.

Thanks

SingALong

Post Wed, Aug 24 2016, 4:17 am
Live in help: they rely on you for everything, meals, toiletries, linens, etc. I always asked if they wanted me to get them something when I went grocery shopping. There are specific set hours for their work day but They are always available in case of emergency. There is someone in the house. If the kids were all asleep I let her know if I'm going out and she can call me if a kid wakes up and I'd come right home.
I've had one staying upstairs in the bedroom, but my family was smaller so I didnt need the space. She shared a bathroom with the kids. I felt a little lack of privacy but I needed the help. I've also once had help sleeping in my playroom on the first floor. She had a 1/2 bathroom downstairs but came up to kids bathroom for shower every night. Pros that I had more privacy in the bedroom area. Cons that I couldn't use my playroom when her work hours were up or early in the morning before she began her day. I kept. Some toys in the bedrooms for those times and in t he living room.

Now I have live out. Price wise it's not so different from a live in since I pay hourly for live out, and a live in gets a weekly salary plus room and board. Pros is that I have way more privacy. Supper time it's just me and the kids which I Love. I'm also not so responsible for her needs like toiletries, groceries, she eats most meals at home. I just give lunch. Cons I don't always have someone around when I need. I can't go out evenings anymore just like that, I need to arrange a babysitter in advance. I also take less hours of help since when I pay hourly it costs more.

Baby nurse: always slept upstairs in baby room, next door to my room. Hardly any privacy. Some nurses help with other kids but some will only do baby and baby laundry, nothing else. You also need to make sure they have the food they like, and things they need. I don't usually keep a nurse long term, a couple of weeks. I don't find it so worth it to have someone in the house that just does the baby. As soon as I feel well enough to do the nights myself I'm done.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics