Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
What's the big deal about school supply shopping?
Previous  1  2

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Aug 23 2016, 9:32 am
melalyse wrote:
My issue is that my kids want to come with me and pick out their notebooks, folders, binders etc. themselves.

Back in the day before the school said no designs on the folders, etc., my kids wanted more exciting stuff, so we would spring for say, 2 Lisa Frank folders. (Boy am I dating us Very Happy ). Over the years I'd stockpile notebooks, paper, folders, pencils, etc. when they'd go on sale. If Moshiach's not here maybe next year people could do a chesed and post the chain sales as they happen?)

Our schools, b"H, started sending out the next year's school supply lists with end of the year report cards. There would usually be a few odds and ends that some teachers would prefer (not knowing who the teachers were till a week before school started, if that soon) but that was manageable.

Hatzlacha to everyone!

amother
Oak

Post Tue, Aug 23 2016, 9:33 am
Our local Purple Heart thrift shop often has oversized binders in decent working order.

amother
Denim

Post Tue, Aug 23 2016, 10:46 am
I have to buy all my kids textbooks as well. Rolling Eyes I try and save what I can from year to year but most get written in. And the textbook store is located in a tiny strip mall with hardly any (useful) shops around. I also need to buy uniforms - some need to come from a special uniform shop - again, located out of the way, not near other shops. My daughter needs a backpack and she is picky about style and I am picky about price plus various uniform bits and pieces (that are cheaper then in the special uniform shop) and lunchboxes and pens etc are needed too. The textbook shop sells these things but not much choice and expensive.

My other kids schools provide textbooks bh for a rental fee so that saves a huge hassle. They also sell notebooks. They do need a few sefarim but thats it, plus pencils and pens etc.

So at a minimum I need to go to 3 locations.

icebreaker

Post Tue, Aug 23 2016, 4:44 pm
Not an issue for me. What I'm seeing a lot of people get worked about is the community supplies idea.

seeker

Post Wed, Aug 24 2016, 1:43 am
Pink fridge follow kosher on a budget .com, she posts all the good deals as they come and you can get a daily email digest. More convenient than posting here.

amother
Cyan

Post Wed, Aug 24 2016, 2:08 am
Buying supplies is fine as long as the list is available in June and the supplies are reasonably common. It's the last minute obscure, expensive stuff that's annoying - the steno pad without spiral binding that will be used twice all year. I do not enjoy schlepping to a specialty art supply store after the first day of school with all the kids in tow.

My older kids all went to school before online shopping, so I admit that skews my experience.

Amelia Bedelia

Post Wed, Aug 24 2016, 8:37 am
seeker wrote:
Pink fridge follow kosher on a budget .com, she posts all the good deals as they come and you can get a daily email digest. More convenient than posting here.

Or Hip2Save

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Aug 24 2016, 8:42 am
Cool. Thanks, seeker and Amelia Bedelia.

Kugglegirl

Post Wed, Aug 24 2016, 8:46 am
You can get everything you need for school on Diagon Alley. I just take all the kids & down the chute we go.

Amelia Bedelia

Post Wed, Aug 24 2016, 12:24 pm
Just stopped into Staples. In addition to the deals I posted above, they have Bic Soft Feel five pack retractable pens for $.50 ( I think there are some Bic $1 off coupons available, so can be free), two pack white outs (liquid or tape) for $2, and hard one inch binders for $2. I think the latter two are decent deals, but can be better. And they also have twelve pack of Bic pens for $1. Most of these deals are all summer.

Amelia Bedelia

Post Mon, Aug 29 2016, 5:29 pm
http://hip2save.com/2016/08/29.....pped/

Target has some hot deals, plus offering buy one, get one half off. They have a 64 pack of Crayola crayons for $2.99, so if you buy two, you get an additional $1.50 off! Elmer's white glue for 50ยข and BOGO half off... These deals mix and match and are available online too. And save an additional 5% and get free shippingwith a RedCard.

amother
Ginger

Post Mon, Aug 29 2016, 5:47 pm
What's annoying to me is when you make an effort to get everything on the list but turns out that half the items (usually the rare/more expensive items) never get used. I hate when the kids come home at the end of the year with notebooks that have 1-2 pages written on and the rest blank, but they're too tattered to reuse. I wish we could not take the list so seriously but my kids are conscientious and want to check everything off.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics