Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Scholarships

tf

Post Tue, Aug 23 2016, 5:49 am
Which scholarships really pay for college, other than govt? I've applied to some, and all I got was emails for sweepstakes and more scholarship application.

amother
Magenta

Post Tue, Aug 23 2016, 8:58 am
Ask at your school. My nursing school sends emails regarding various available scholarship programs. I applied (big job, essays etc) and I am fully covered bh

amother
Sapphire

Post Tue, Aug 23 2016, 10:21 am
following..

id love to know!

I do know theres a deans scholarship if your on the deans list

LittleDucky

Post Tue, Aug 23 2016, 11:37 am
There are scholarship websites but all real scholarships require something- an essay, test scores etc. any scholarship that makes you pay an application fee is a scam.

Look at your professional organization, hobby or skill websites well. There are school specific scholarships as well as "students who speak French and Chinese whose ancestors came to America before 1900" type scholarships. I read about new that if you had a certain last name and went to their college you got 9,000.

amother
Sapphire

Post Tue, Aug 23 2016, 12:02 pm
LittleDucky wrote:
There are scholarship websites but all real scholarships require something- an essay, test scores etc. any scholarship that makes you pay an application fee is a scam.

Look at your professional organization, hobby or skill websites well. There are school specific scholarships as well as "students who speak French and Chinese whose ancestors came to America before 1900" type scholarships. I read about new that if you had a certain last name and went to their college you got 9,000.

not op, but where can I find these scholarships?
ive searched.. but I cant seem to find scholarships based on test scores or GPA..

any recommendations?

cm

Post Tue, Aug 23 2016, 12:15 pm
amother wrote:
ive searched.. but I cant seem to find scholarships based on test scores or GPA..

any recommendations?

There are very few scholarships that reward actual scholarship (rather than need-based).

Some, although certainly not all, colleges have academic scholarships. Check the websites of the schools you are interested in. Stern College is very generous with strong students. Your state university system is also a good bet.

amother
Sapphire

Post Tue, Aug 23 2016, 12:40 pm
cm wrote:
There are very few scholarships that reward actual scholarship (rather than need-based).

Some, although certainly not all, colleges have academic scholarships. Check the websites of the schools you are interested in. Stern College is very generous with strong students. Your state university system is also a good bet.

I Know about the deans scholarship, if thats what u mean..

is there anything else?

nywife

Post Tue, Aug 23 2016, 3:53 pm
Look at scholly.com
You have to pay (I think $1.99 or something) in order to make an account. You then put in parameters based on your degree, age, race etc and it provides you with a listing on available scholarships. Most require essays, but if you have the drive to do them you can very likely get something.

seeker

Post Tue, Aug 23 2016, 11:26 pm
If you're in NY, Touro has a bunch of options.

tf

Post Wed, Aug 24 2016, 12:06 am
Nywife, have you actually gotten scholarships from scholly? It might also just be a scam. How do you know the difference?

LittleDucky

Post Wed, Aug 24 2016, 12:20 am
amother wrote:

any recommendations?

Its been a while but I think scholarships.com might be a good starting place. No fee.
Usually you need the test scores, gpa AND an essay. They want to know your passion for your field and why you deserve it. Good luck- it is very hard to get anything. I applied for a bunch but only ended up with a small token award from one... and that one I had to write a whole paper on some random topic.

sayinghi

Post Wed, Aug 24 2016, 2:16 am
tf wrote:
Nywife, have you actually gotten scholarships from scholly? It might also just be a scam. How do you know the difference?

It's the name of an app that was featured on shark tank.

nywife

Post Wed, Aug 24 2016, 9:26 am
tf wrote:

It was featured on shark tank-- it's credible. I personally haven't used it but I know people who have.

nicole81

Post Wed, Aug 24 2016, 9:33 am
I've been out of the college scholarship game for a while, but back then I used fastweb.com.

amother
Sapphire

Post Wed, Aug 24 2016, 9:38 am
seeker wrote:
If you're in NY, Touro has a bunch of options.

can u tell me specific scholarships for touro, other than the deans scholarship?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics