Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
Plz answer teeny tiny closet with lower shelves and hanging

amother
Bronze

Post Tue, Aug 23 2016, 9:35 pm
I am re-doing a closet to make it deeper (it was 15 inches deep) so that it can have hanging clothing (24 inches deep). The closet is narrow - 3 feet wide. I am putting a bar high up so that I can still have shelves. The bar will be at 81 inches from the floor with 3 shelves below it. Now to my question. How deep should the 3 lower shelves be, the idea is to have clothing on them. They will be 12 inches apart from each other. Also I am leaving 9 inches to the left of the shelf so that there can be a few long hanging items. I told my contractor that they should be 24 inches deep so that I have the full depth of the closet but I realize now that it was a mistake, but I have no idea how deep they should be!
I tried searching online and can't seem to find the answer.

hoboken

Post Tue, Aug 23 2016, 9:49 pm
I think the standard is around 16" for closet shelving. If it's too deep, things get lost in the back.

L K

Post Tue, Aug 23 2016, 11:19 pm
Can you put unused seasonal clothing in neat storage bags or containers at the back of the shelves, behind current season's?

amother
Bronze

Post Wed, Aug 24 2016, 8:14 am
Yes, I can store clothing in the back of the deep shelves, which is why I thought to make it the full 24 inches, but now that I am seeing pictures of other closets, it seems awkard and also will make it almost impossible to reach to the back of the closet in the 9 inches left for long hanging clothing!

Rubber Ducky

Post Wed, Aug 24 2016, 10:54 am
As I recall, linen closet minimum depth is 14". But for folded sweaters 16" - 18" will be better.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics