Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
Would you let your 14-year-old go kayaking with friends?

amother
Burlywood

Post Wed, Aug 24 2016, 6:56 am
My 14-year-old asked me if she could go kayaking with 3 friends her age plus 2 of their older sisters who are 16. No adult. Traveling there and back is perfectly safe - one direct bus - but the actual kayaking without an adult makes me nervous. I tend to be overprotective though and want to let her go if it's safe, so I'm interested in others' opinions. She is very mature and responsible.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Aug 24 2016, 6:58 am
Kayaking where, on the ocean?
Are they are on the kayaks themselves, or is it a guided tour?
I think it depends on the circumstances. I don't know if I would let though.

amother
Burlywood

Post Wed, Aug 24 2016, 7:02 am
Kayaking at Nachal Hayarden. No guide. It's an organized place and they have life jackets.

amother
Azure

Post Wed, Aug 24 2016, 7:22 am
No. I think they're too young.
I'm not even sure the place will allow them to go alone in the kayak without an accompanying adult.

vicki

Post Wed, Aug 24 2016, 7:22 am
Delaware Water Gap, I would not.
Nachal HaYarden, I would.

You say your daughter is mature and responsible. Are the other girls on the responsible side? Not exceptionally wild or risk-taking?

tulips12

Post Wed, Aug 24 2016, 8:20 am
Usually the the waivers at such places have to be signed by an adult. Find out before if it's applicable. It would be pretty disappointing to get there and not be able to get on the kayaks...

amother
Burlywood

Post Wed, Aug 24 2016, 9:23 am
Thanks for the replies. Apparently the place does allow 16-year-olds to be responsible, so in that sense, they shouldn't have a problem. I know the other girls well and none of them are exceedingly wild.

Tablepoetry

Post Wed, Aug 24 2016, 11:42 am
Yes I would. The yarden is not wild water rafting. In any case, it's very common here for teens that age to go.

amother
Bisque

Post Wed, Aug 24 2016, 11:49 am
I would. If she's mature and responsible and so are her friends, I think it's a reasonable activity for a girl her age to do unaccompanied by an adult.

greenfire

Post Wed, Aug 24 2016, 11:56 am
she's a teenager ... not a tiny tot

you cannot hold onto her forever ... she has to spread her wings [I get nervous when my sonny boy goes sailing - but that is a mother's woes - not reality]

that being said - make sure they know safety rules & that they MUST wear the life vests ... who are they renting kayaks from - they should probably have safety rules too
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children