Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Finishing basement,garage etc: long term planning

L K

Post Tue, Aug 23 2016, 5:28 pm
There is space in my house that could eventually be used to increase living space (double garage and finished basement w/o rooms or bathroom though).

I'd like to do some minimal stuff in the near future, like adding walls to make rooms in basement.

Im not rushing to do other improvements such as installing bathrooms, garage heating/cooling, flooring etc. because they are quite costly. I want to think long-term as well, so I don't do something now that will have to be ripped apart in a few years to make room for different plans. Neither do I want to make a bathroom in the basement, only to realize that it's really better to have one on the first floor. Or make a full one when you really need a half.

To those who finished basements and/or converted garages etc: what exactly did you choose to do and why, did you plan short or long term and what advice would you give with regards to planning?

Like taking into account room for guests, office, maybe temporary live-in help etc (I may have to use it due to some circumstances).

did you find you need more bathrooms as kids grow up and where (first floor or basement, half or full).

Right now, I have bedrooms upstairs plus 2 baths (hallway for kids, and master br), and 1/2 bath on the first floor. Basement has lighting, floor, ceiling and walls around but not individual rooms or bathroom. Garage is bare but might have insulated walls, not sure.

Thank you

Rubber Ducky

Post Tue, Aug 23 2016, 6:35 pm
I do space planning professionally.

In our own home, where we've taken down multiple walls and turned several tiny rooms into fewer larger rooms, we always kept a functional bedroom on the main floor. When my mother a"h came to live with us, we had a bedroom with adjoining bath ready. After Mom broke her hip the first time, we remodeled the bath and widened the bedroom doorway to make it accessible for a wheelchair. Because of our careful long term planning, we were able to make the needed changes without adding on, and were able to care for Mom in our home for six years until she passed away peacefully in her sleep, in that bedroom.

Recently my husband had back surgery and took up residence in that same bedroom for a month, and at various times it's been used as a guest room as well.

So aging in place or someday needing to accommodate special needs is something you may want to keep in mind for your garage if you don't have already have a bedroom — or a room that could become a bedroom — on the main floor. A double garage may be large enough for a small office space too.

Regarding your basement, it's best to have a bathroom on any floor where you put bedrooms.

studying_torah

Post Tue, Aug 23 2016, 6:40 pm
I personally think you can never have too many bathrooms! My basement isn't fully finished, but the bathroom there is very helpful.

sky

Post Tue, Aug 23 2016, 7:21 pm
We put 2 bedrooms and a bathroom in our basement when we moved in years ago. I was a bit naive\stupid\cheap back then and didn't want to spend on a bathroom (was really expensive because the basement was below the sewer line and we had to dig out a water pump in the basement). We were already spending a lot because we had to dig escape windows in the bedrooms. We were below the builders minimum and I'm so glad we had to do the bathroom.
- We wouldn't use those rooms a fraction of the amount we do without a bathroom on the floor
- Putting in the bathroom later and bringing in a contractor seperatly would have cost way more.
With putting in bedrooms also make sure you put in nice sized closets.

L K

Post Tue, Aug 23 2016, 10:22 pm
sky wrote:
We put 2 bedrooms and a bathroom in our basement when we moved in years ago. I was a bit naive\stupid\cheap back then and didn't want to spend on a bathroom (was really expensive because the basement was below the sewer line and we had to dig out a water pump in the basement). We were already spending a lot because we had to dig escape windows in the bedrooms. We were below the builders minimum and I'm so glad we had to do the bathroom.
- We wouldn't use those rooms a fraction of the amount we do without a bathroom on the floor
- Putting in the bathroom later and bringing in a contractor seperatly would have cost way more.
With putting in bedrooms also make sure you put in nice sized closets.

Same here with regards to bringing in a contractor for a "small job": contractors fee has a minimum, therefore I have to plan possible improvements short and long term, so as not to overpay on contractors fee if I do one project at a time, or pay double if I have someone do just room walls, and later have contractor do a bathroom or kitchen section (when he would include walls and throw in some other work, all as part of his fee). Our basement is finished, so I'm looking to just make rooms and *maybe* a bathroom. It just costs so much money, it's not normal.

Still waiting for the contractor to come down and tell me where the sewer is, like you said it would be more money if they have to install a pump.

Did you make a full or half bath in your basement?

Whom did you use for your basement, and we're you happy?

Why is it better to put in closets rather than say but ikea closets?

L K

Post Tue, Aug 23 2016, 10:23 pm
studying_torah wrote:
I personally think you can never have too many bathrooms! My basement isn't fully finished, but the bathroom there is very helpful.

Totally agree, the only problem is bathrooms cost tons to put in, at least where I live.

L K

Post Tue, Aug 23 2016, 10:54 pm
Rubberducky, I admire the fact that you took care of your mother for all that time. It is really hard work and very special. May hashem bentch you and your family with good health and all the brochos, for many years. And refua sheleyma to your husband!

I too have been thinking along the same "life-changing events" line, though my family situation is quite different.

There is now a large somewhat unused room on the main floor that used to be a dining room for previous owners. I've been thinking of putting bookcases there, perhaps keep one desk with the phone, and a couch that could be converted into a bed. I just have to finalize the plans for the whole house, and then put up some doors for that room. Then room could be used as a formal living room if we ever have guests that don't need to come into current family "hangout" living room that is adjacent to and flows into the kitchen area. I could put a single guest there too, like a cousin or my mother. I figure, it wouldn't be too awkward to put family in an office-like space.

I have half a bath on the main floor too, but I imagine you had a full bath for your mother. Did you always have it, or converted half to full at some point?

With regards to bathroom in basement or any other floor that has bedrooms, are you referring to full or half-baths?

sky

Post Wed, Aug 24 2016, 11:49 am
L K wrote:
Same here with regards to bringing in a contractor for a "small job": contractors fee has a minimum, therefore I have to plan possible improvements short and long term, so as not to overpay on contractors fee if I do one project at a time, or pay double if I have someone do just room walls, and later have contractor do a bathroom or kitchen section (when he would include walls and throw in some other work, all as part of his fee). Our basement is finished, so I'm looking to just make rooms and *maybe* a bathroom. It just costs so much money, it's not normal.

Still waiting for the contractor to come down and tell me where the sewer is, like you said it would be more money if they have to install a pump.

Did you make a full or half bath in your basement?

Whom did you use for your basement, and we're you happy?

Why is it better to put in closets rather than say but ikea closets?

Our basement is samllish. We were planning on doing a full bathroom but it would have been tight with a full bathtub so we did a larger (4ft?) walk-in shower. It didn't save money because tiling was expensive. We didn't do any custom closets just large closets that I use a lot for storage.

I'll PM you with the name.

Rubber Ducky

Post Wed, Aug 24 2016, 12:03 pm
L K wrote:
...There is now a large somewhat unused room on the main floor that used to be a dining room for previous owners. I've been thinking of putting bookcases there, perhaps keep one desk with the phone, and a couch that could be converted into a bed. I just have to finalize the plans for the whole house, and then put up some doors for that room. Then room could be used as a formal living room if we ever have guests that don't need to come into current family "hangout" living room that is adjacent to and flows into the kitchen area. I could put a single guest there too, like a cousin or my mother. I figure, it wouldn't be too awkward to put family in an office-like space.

OK, how far is the bath from there?

L K wrote:
I have half a bath on the main floor too, but I imagine you had a full bath for your mother. Did you always have it, or converted half to full at some point?

It was always a full bath but poorly laid out even for someone in good health. When we remodeled we completely changed the locations of all the fixtures and put in a roll-in shower instead of a tub.

L K wrote:
With regards to bathroom in basement or any other floor that has bedrooms, are you referring to full or half-baths?
Full bath. If your bedroom was in the basement would you want to go up a flight or 2 flights of stairs to take a shower?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics