Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Parenting/Chinuch Book Gemach

BatZion

Post Tue, Aug 23 2016, 2:41 am
Hi

I'm interested in starting a Parenting/Chinuch book Gemach/Lending Libraary.
What books would you recommend?
I'd like titles, authors, a sentence or two on the book if possible Smile
Hebrew/English books both welcome!

Thanks!

BatZion

Post Tue, Aug 23 2016, 6:17 am

amother
Ginger

Post Tue, Aug 23 2016, 2:40 pm
What a beautiful idea! Here's some of my faves and some I've had highly recommended to me:

The No Cry Sleep Solution (Elizabeth Pantley):
A variety of methods to help babies and young toddlers get on a good sleep schedule, without overturning your life or using harsh "cry it out" tactics. Helps get to the root of the problem and find solutions.

Raising Your Spirited Child (Mary Sheedy Kurcinka):
Wonderful approaches to dealing with high energy or "intense" kids. Lots of the ideas work great for typical kids too!

How to Talk So Kids Will Listen & Listen So Kids Will Talk (Adele Faber and Elaine Mazlish):
This is a classic! Helps establish good communication skills between parents and kids.

Parenting With Love And Logic (Foster W. Cline):
A "natural consequences" with gentleness-based approach to discipline. Even if you don't buy the whole package, there's lots of food for thought here.

Playful Parenting (Cohen):
A joyful way of loving life with your kids, and avoiding unnecessary power struggles and discipline issues.

One Baby Step at a Time (Weisberg):
More inspiration, less practical, warm approach to being a mother.

Anger - The Inner Teacher (Pliskin):
This is written for adults, but the methods are applicable to kids too. Very helpful for helping children deal with anger and frustration.

To Kindle a Soul (Kelemen):
Half of this book is studies proving that parenting makes a difference! The real gem in this book is clarifying the difference between planting and building - two essential approaches in chinuch of your children.

The Nechoma Greisman Anthology (Greisman):
Inspiration and advice on mothering and homemaking.

The Blessing of a Skinned Knee (Mogel)
More Effective Jewish Parenting (Levi)
Raising a Child With Soul (Jungreis-Wolf)
Raising Your Kids Without Raising Your Voice (Radcliffe)
Transforming the Difficult Child (Howard Glasser)
10 Days to a Less Defiant Child (Dr.Jeffery Bernstein)

amother
Bronze

Post Wed, Aug 24 2016, 2:17 pm
1-2-3 Magic! by Thomas Phelan
A fantastic method of no-fuss discipline for kids aged 2-12.

The Miriam Adahan Handbook: Living With Kids Parents at Their Best by Miriam Adahan (out of print, but you can get a used a copy on Amazon or elsewhere)
This has tons of tips and strategies for handling kids of a variety of ages, in a gentle way, with Torah principles in mind.

Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child by Marc Weissbluth M.D.
In my opinion, the best baby and child sleep book ever. Covers from newborns to teens. His main approach for babies is cry it out (which worked amazing for us), but even if you don't like the cry it out, he presents other popular methods as well. And if you don't want to use his methods for sleep training babies, he has tons of great advice for kids of all ages. Furthermore, he provides tons of information of how long and at what times babies and children need sleep - this was super valuable in terms of figuring out when our baby/toddler was likely to be tired and helping to set a good sleep schedule.

The Happiest Baby on the Block by Harvey Karp M.D.
This one is especially good for a gemach - it gives great advice on soothing babies and keeping them from crying and making it easier for them to sleep, but was not worth buying full price because it's very repetitive (like it could have been much shorter and just as useful). I've used it to put tons of small babies to sleep, including a preemie who would not sleep any other way.

amother
Violet

Post Wed, Aug 24 2016, 2:40 pm
The ones above, also "The Explosive Child" and "Parenting the Difficult Child; the Nurtured Heart Approach." Both applicable to difficult as well as regular kids.

amother
Scarlet

Post Wed, Aug 24 2016, 10:33 pm
Hi Batzion,
this is such a nice idea! I would have loved something like this when I was newly married with a few little kids, I was devouring every book out there even though they were so expensive for me...

Here are some of my favorites:
'Chinuch in turbulent times' by Rabbi Dov Brezak, what an insightful man! Cant describe it ,but a must read....
The books by Meir Wikler, 'Partners with Hashem' volume 1 and 2, and 'Partners in Parenting'
Also fantastic!
I re-read those many times.

Other books that I read long ago and remember a bit are Effective jewish parenting' by Miriam Levi and Zeriah ubinyan b'chinuch by Rav Wolbe.(available in hebrew and english I believe)
There are other books available that are based on columns in the jewish newspapers, they are more article style but give nice messages. Deep thinking stuff sometimes. A favorite of mine was "Apples from the tree' by rAbbi Moshe Young, he used to be a Principal of a girls school and has great insights into chinuch. Definitely a bit charedi style though in my opinion, so it depends on who your target audience for your library is. REad it and see what you think

If I think of more I will write them.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics