Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Tricking School into Accepting Unvaxxed Kids
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5 20  21  22  Next

Mama Bear

Post Thu, Aug 25 2016, 12:33 pm
Actually as an adult I'm pretty up to date with vaccinations that are routine for adults to take. I take the tetanus every decade or so, and in pregnancy they check you for a lot of titers and I needed a Rubella booster so I got it postpartum.

Goldie613

Post Thu, Aug 25 2016, 12:48 pm
I would not view the same way cases where kids are not vaccinated because MEDICALLY it would be unsafe for them to do so. I've heard that sometimes people with certain medical conditions can't handle being exposed to certain shots.

I'm not a doctor (nor do I play one of TV, LOL), but I would hope that no one would give a family dealing with that type of situation a hard time.

I would also be more understanding of a family where one kid had a VERY bad reaction to a shot (hospitalization, etc) and therefore the family was concerned about vaccinating.

As for other reasons (shrug) - our best medical knowledge says that it's safe to vaccinate, but 50 years ago they thought it was fine to drink and smoke during pregnancy, so who knows what we"ll find out in the next fifty years. I'm pro-vaccination, but anti-bashing people who don't. I may think it's wrong not to, but each parent has to work with their own doctors to figure out what's best for their families.

But, yes, parents should be upfront with the schools, and be open to answering any questions that they may have about possible medical issues that may arise.

amother
Wine

Post Thu, Aug 25 2016, 1:04 pm
Goldie613 wrote:
I would not view the same way cases where kids are not vaccinated because MEDICALLY it would be unsafe for them to do so. I've heard that sometimes people with certain medical conditions can't handle being exposed to certain shots.

I'm not a doctor (nor do I play one of TV, LOL), but I would hope that no one would give a family dealing with that type of situation a hard time.

I would also be more understanding of a family where one kid had a VERY bad reaction to a shot (hospitalization, etc) and therefore the family was concerned about vaccinating.

As for other reasons (shrug) - our best medical knowledge says that it's safe to vaccinate, but 50 years ago they thought it was fine to drink and smoke during pregnancy, so who knows what we"ll find out in the next fifty years. I'm pro-vaccination, but anti-bashing people who don't. I may think it's wrong not to, but each parent has to work with their own doctors to figure out what's best for their families.

But, yes, parents should be upfront with the schools, and be open to answering any questions that they may have about possible medical issues that may arise.

But in order for a child to be accepted in school they need a legal exemption. the only one currently available is a religious exemption.

amother
Black

Post Thu, Aug 25 2016, 1:19 pm
Rubella just doesn't take with me, even with recent boosters, so I stay at home for as much of the first trimester as possible to keep away from you nutjobs. If you really think rubella is such a minor issue, why don't you find a way for your kids to catch it and get them under a good, old-fashioned quarantine until they're over it? I've heard about it from my parents- it's really no big deal to catch it as a kid. It's a huge deal if you catch it while pregnant.

Otherwise, yes, I'm up-to-date on DTaP (or is it TDaP?) and flu. I get the former with every pregnancy and the latter every fall. Someone in my family died of diphtheria- yes, the disease, not the vaccine- I don't take that one lightly at all.

tigerwife

Post Thu, Aug 25 2016, 1:28 pm
It was inevitable that this discussion would roll into a vaccine debate, but suppose Maya had brought up the following scenario:

If you're school gives you trouble for enrolling when you have a TV, just enroll anyway, and when they ask for your signed form refuse it on religious grounds. If they give you issues, I have a lawyer who can help you sue for discrimination.

I know, much less major scenario but the same conniving scheme.

amother
Wine

Post Thu, Aug 25 2016, 1:39 pm
amother wrote:
Rubella just doesn't take with me, even with recent boosters, so I stay at home for as much of the first trimester as possible to keep away from you nutjobs. If you really think rubella is such a minor issue, why don't you find a way for your kids to catch it and get them under a good, old-fashioned quarantine until they're over it? I've heard about it from my parents- it's really no big deal to catch it as a kid. It's a huge deal if you catch it while pregnant.

Otherwise, yes, I'm up-to-date on DTaP (or is it TDaP?) and flu. I get the former with every pregnancy and the latter every fall. Someone in my family died of diphtheria- yes, the disease, not the vaccine- I don't take that one lightly at all.

so we come back to the 'I should vax my kids to protect you' even if I feel it may harm them. I wont do it. sorry. stay home.

tigerwife wrote:
It was inevitable that this discussion would roll into a vaccine debate, but suppose Maya had brought up the following scenario:

If you're school gives you trouble for enrolling when you have a TV, just enroll anyway, and when they ask for your signed form refuse it on religious grounds. If they give you issues, I have a lawyer who can help you sue for discrimination.

I know, much less major scenario but the same conniving scheme.

a school can have any rules they want as long as its legal. they can have dresscode rules and if you dont follow have a right to expel. just like the state cant make laws that goes against federal laws, schools cant make rules that goes against state laws.

amother
Amethyst

Post Thu, Aug 25 2016, 1:50 pm
amother wrote:
a school can have any rules they want as long as its legal. they can have dresscode rules and if you dont follow have a right to expel. just like the state cant make laws that goes against federal laws, schools cant make rules that goes against state laws.

I don't know about you, but, a parent tried this in my city. The school expelled the child. The parent tried to bring the school to court (which btw is disgusting considering how short funded our schools are). The school had a clarification from the AG of the state saying that private and parochial schools are not required to admit an un-vaccinated child.

If the school admission policy which is signed by the family requires vaccinations, then the school is within its legal abilities to expel the child for not vaccinating.

amother
Coffee

Post Thu, Aug 25 2016, 1:50 pm
All those who are saying be up front about it--are you that up front with it about everything? Do you walk into a job interview and start talking about all the days you'll need off? Do you walk into a school interview and tell them your child actually has a hard time following direction? I mean once we have to be up front about anything why just this?

amother
Wine

Post Thu, Aug 25 2016, 2:12 pm
amother wrote:
I don't know about you, but, a parent tried this in my city. The school expelled the child. The parent tried to bring the school to court (which btw is disgusting considering how short funded our schools are). The school had a clarification from the AG of the state saying that private and parochial schools are not required to admit an un-vaccinated child.

If the school admission policy which is signed by the family requires vaccinations, then the school is within its legal abilities to expel the child for not vaccinating.

I am not sure where you live. I live in nyc. after being in the school for a few years with an exemption, they called me my kids cant come back. I got my lawyer to write them a letter and it just shut them up.

MrsDash

Post Thu, Aug 25 2016, 2:25 pm
I'm pretty sure the op didn't post this to start a vax debate. She clearly noted, several times, that she's upset about the sneaking around and lying, not about the lack of vaccination. That's a debate for another day.

Just because a question wasn't asked, doesn't mean it's not lying. Some things are just a given, I.e. Vaccines. Most people get it done, so it's not a specific question they're going to ask when someone's applying to their school. Don't say it's not sneaky, it most definitely is.

Do you seriously believe every conceivable question should be asked? It would take years for people to enroll in school.

Omitting information is in fact lying. "I didn't think I had to mention it if I wasn't asked." Okay, but you went there with full knowledge of their vaccine stance. It's not as if you just merely "forgot." Come on. Who are you fooling? You were hoping they'd overlook that part of the application. What a sigh of relief is was when they neglected to mention the vaccines. Oh wow, that was a close one!

Does every orthodox school need every child's mothers birth certificate to ensure they are halachacly Jewish children attending their school?

Does every orthodox school need to ask if your child has had a bris, and needs to see the child to verify this claim?

Does every orthodox school need to ask if the family keeps shabbos?

Does every orthodox school need to ask if the boy wears tzittzits and a yarmulke?

Nope. And why is that? Because it's an orthodox school, and a large majority (if not all) of applicants are going to be orthodox, therefore, these questions are just a waste of time because why would a Reform Jew purposely enroll their child in an ultra orthodox school? It's the norm in Jewish communities to vaccinate their children. Should they ask all first graders if they're potty trained before attending?

You know it's wrong, and if you don't give a hoot, then don't be upset if your child has a non Jew in their class. (Need I mention what happened in Lakewood some years back?) Or perhaps your sons are in school with some biological girls who identify as males. Or an 8 year old who is still breastfeeding from his mama. How can that happen? Well, discrimination covers a lot of areas, not just the anti vax.

amother
Wine

Post Thu, Aug 25 2016, 2:47 pm
MrsDash wrote:
I'm pretty sure the op didn't post this to start a vax debate. She clearly noted, several times, that she's upset about the sneaking around and lying, not about the lack of vaccination. That's a debate for another day.

Just because a question wasn't asked, doesn't mean it's not lying. Some things are just a given, I.e. Vaccines. Most people get it done, so it's not a specific question they're going to ask when someone's applying to their school. Don't say it's not sneaky, it most definitely is.

Do you seriously believe every conceivable question should be asked? It would take years for people to enroll in school.

Omitting information is in fact lying. "I didn't think I had to mention it if I wasn't asked." Okay, but you went there with full knowledge of their vaccine stance. It's not as if you just merely "forgot." Come on. Who are you fooling? You were hoping they'd overlook that part of the application. What a sigh of relief is was when they neglected to mention the vaccines. Oh wow, that was a close one!

we are not omitting anything. you give in a vaccine record, we give in an exemption letter. and yes, I am very afraid that my son shouldn't have a biological girl in his class.

MrsDash

Post Thu, Aug 25 2016, 3:33 pm
amother wrote:
we are not omitting anything. you give in a vaccine record, we give in an exemption letter. and yes, I am very afraid that my son shouldn't have a biological girl in his class.

Just keep that in mind when using loopholes. You open up doors for broader situations, and once those doors open, it's very difficult to control.

(BTW my personal stance is that people should do what they think is best for their children, and that includes vaccines. However, it's harder to get accepted into institutions without a shot record, so it comes down to what matters most to the parent and what aspects of their child's life they're comfortable compromising.)

amother
Tangerine

Post Thu, Aug 25 2016, 3:49 pm
amother wrote:

"Rubella just doesn't take" where have I heard that before? Yes from thousands of others. So how about we let our kids catch this disease AS KIDS as people used to. Then they will be immune for life. Guess what else doesn't take? My 4 mmr shots. Not immune to a single one except maybe for a year or 2 after the shot. So I didn't catch the mumps as a child. I caught it as an adult and had to be hospitalised because adults don't bounce back from in in a week. My little siblings bounced back within 2 days. But not me who was 'safely' vaccinated.

You know what else doesn't take for over half the population? The flu jab. And the pertussis one. So instead of innoculating my kids with all these toxins which complicate their immune system and make it hard for them to fight the common Cold (which I'm sure will have a vaccine in the bear future), I allow them to catch the natural virus's and nurse them back to health where they BH bounce back quickly from. And I will most definitely not vaccinate their little immune systems to protect you from rubella. I too am careful in my first trimesters of pregnancy but I won't risk my kid's health for anyone.

You know what else? Whether or not you catch an actual disease you can still carry a virus. And you can spread it too. So all the vaccinated people are equally as likely to spread virus's as the non vaccinated.

BH I don't have to lie to get my kids onto schools as the schools I chose for my kids are respectful of my views. And not ONCE have my kids spread any diseases around the schools. In fact, a kid with leukaemia's mom said she was glad when she hears kids aren't vaccinated because during the season of flu jabs, she has to keep her kid locked up to avoid the shedding of the vaccine. Now THAT one is a modified man made vision of the flu and that's the one her oncologist said to keep her away from. Not any other diseases. Just the flu which is shoved into your arm or nose via a syringe.

amother
Tangerine

Post Thu, Aug 25 2016, 3:51 pm
MrsDash wrote:
These posts always bring out the kooks in hiding. Spam Shooting Arrow

Precisely. I thought you were perfectly balanced until this thread came about.

dancingqueen

Post Thu, Aug 25 2016, 3:55 pm
amother wrote:

BH I don't have to lie to get my kids onto schools as the schools I chose for my kids are respectful of my views. And not ONCE have my kids spread any diseases around the schools. In fact, a kid with leukaemia's mom said she was glad when she hears kids aren't vaccinated because during the season of flu jabs, she has to keep her kid locked up to avoid the shedding of the vaccine. Now THAT one is a modified man made vision of the flu and that's the one her oncologist said to keep her away from. Not any other diseases. Just the flu which is shoved into your arm or nose via a syringe.

huh? I'm pretty sure that catching any version of the flu is dangerous for a kid with leukemia. Sad

amother
Black

Post Thu, Aug 25 2016, 4:06 pm
amother wrote:
"Rubella just doesn't take" where have I heard that before? Yes from thousands of others. So how about we let our kids catch this disease AS KIDS as people used to. Then they will be immune for life. Guess what else doesn't take? My 4 mmr shots. Not immune to a single one except maybe for a year or 2 after the shot. So I didn't catch the mumps as a child. I caught it as an adult and had to be hospitalised because adults don't bounce back from in in a week. My little siblings bounced back within 2 days. But not me who was 'safely' vaccinated.

You know what else doesn't take for over half the population? The flu jab. And the pertussis one. So instead of innoculating my kids with all these toxins which complicate their immune system and make it hard for them to fight the common Cold (which I'm sure will have a vaccine in the bear future), I allow them to catch the natural virus's and nurse them back to health where they BH bounce back quickly from. And I will most definitely not vaccinate their little immune systems to protect you from rubella. I too am careful in my first trimesters of pregnancy but I won't risk my kid's health for anyone.

You know what else? Whether or not you catch an actual disease you can still carry a virus. And you can spread it too. So all the vaccinated people are equally as likely to spread virus's as the non vaccinated.

I agree that vaccines are an imperfect solution. I still prefer it to burying a toddler as my relative did. Look, I get the visceral reaction- when I saw my first sick with a fever for the first time after a round of shots, don't think I was dancing for joy. I was as nervous as any other mother of a baby barely old enough for a fever not to mean an ER visit. But I was able to remind myself that seeing my baby with a 100-degree fever wasn't nearly as bad as seeing her unable to breathe or lo aleinu handing her tiny, still body over to the chevra kadisha, as my relative needed to.

Honestly? Dedicate a hospital ward to quarantining all the kids whose parents would rather them catch the natural disease than get the vaccine, together, the moment there's a case of measles or rubella. They can all have a rubella slumber party, no pregnant women need be exposed to them until they're past contagion, and the kids are immune with no needles involved. Unfortunately, there are probably ethical issues with that, certainly for measles.

amother
Lilac

Post Thu, Aug 25 2016, 4:18 pm
amother wrote:
All those who are saying be up front about it--are you that up front with it about everything? Do you walk into a job interview and start talking about all the days you'll need off? Do you walk into a school interview and tell them your child actually has a hard time following direction? I mean once we have to be up front about anything why just this?
Crying

If something is a rule, or will later cause a problem I am upfront about it. My DD has behavioral issues- I discussed it by her interview so the school knew that they were getting a child who needed more help than a child without behavior issues. No, don't go listing every problem under the sun, but don't try to sneak around.

amother
Blush

Post Thu, Aug 25 2016, 4:21 pm
amother wrote:
But in order for a child to be accepted in school they need a legal exemption. the only one currently available is a religious exemption.

Not true. A medical exemption is accepted in NY schools. For a REAL MEDICAL REASON.

amother
Blush

Post Thu, Aug 25 2016, 4:23 pm
amother wrote:
I am not sure where you live. I live in nyc. after being in the school for a few years with an exemption, they called me my kids cant come back. I got my lawyer to write them a letter and it just shut them up.

Unless you had a valid medical exemption, that's despicable.

amother
Coffee

Post Thu, Aug 25 2016, 4:35 pm
dancingqueen wrote:
huh? I'm pretty sure that catching any version of the flu is dangerous for a kid with leukemia. Sad

The point was that the flu vaccine is live and you can be contagious after getting it. So everyone that gets the shot can potentially infect the immunocompromised person. Less people would be contagious if there was no vaccine and he'd only have to worry about those that were actually sick.
Page 4 of 22   Previous  1  2  3  4  5 20  21  22  Next Recent Topics