Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
What Cost Am I missing?

amother
Firebrick

Post Wed, Aug 24 2016, 12:29 pm
I am looking into moving. But I need to do research. I need to make sure that we are doing the right thing - we are not happy where we are, cost of living is high and we just can't see ourselves living here for an extended amount of time.

The city we are looking to move to is overseas (well from where we live currently). What am I missing in this list of what to research?

Schools for my kids and tuition costs
Rent prices
Job availability and average pay
Average grocery costs
Nanny/Babysitter/Childcare costs
Car costs (gas, insurance etc)
Moving costs (overseas)
Cost to travel to visit family
Taxes + Government Benefits
Medical care/insurance costs

I really want this to work but I need to have it down that cost is either lower or the same but quality will be better.

mummiedearest

Post Wed, Aug 24 2016, 3:49 pm
setting up a new house always costs money. keep in mind that you may need new furniture, cleaning supplies, a paint job, pantry items, etc.

Raisin

Post Wed, Aug 24 2016, 4:26 pm
Cost of furniture, clothing, electrical items, computers, cell phones and plans, other random items.

veiznisht

Post Wed, Aug 24 2016, 4:43 pm
Assuming you are moving to a different country and that is what you mean by "overseas"-there might be visa expenses. Also actually finding somewhere to live and sorting out things before your family gets there might incur some costs. Extra flights-car rentals, etc.

trixx

Post Wed, Aug 24 2016, 5:04 pm
If it's a different country, all new appliances like kitchen and personal (blow dryers etc)

amother
Firebrick

Post Thu, Aug 25 2016, 11:03 am
trixx wrote:
If it's a different country, all new appliances like kitchen and personal (blow dryers etc)

Yup I didn't even think of all of that.
For appliances I was thinking to rent furnished or partially furnished but Thanks for adding this.

Quote:
Assuming you are moving to a different country and that is what you mean by "overseas"-there might be visa expenses. Also actually finding somewhere to live and sorting out things before your family gets there might incur some costs. Extra flights-car rentals, etc.

Yup thanks for this too Smile

greenfire

Post Thu, Aug 25 2016, 11:38 am
keeping in touch from overseas can be costly as well I.e. phone calls plus you'll be wanting to visit more than you think

don't forget extra therapy cause moving makes you NUTs

Tel Tzion Ima

Post Thu, Aug 25 2016, 12:08 pm
In terms of appliances, not necessarily. Check watts and voltage of where you currently live to where you're moving to, and check the appliances themselves. My U.S. hair dryers didn't work in Israel, but my husband's electric shaver did. Often laptops will work anywhere in the world. I have American phones with a special adapter/voltage converter, but when my SIL bought us phones in Brooklyn, the store sold her Israeli AC adapters, so we didn't need converters.

Compare the cost of shipping furniture versus buying new.

It would probably help to know what country you are moving from and what country you are moving to in order to give better advice.

water_bear88

Post Thu, Aug 25 2016, 12:17 pm
Tel Tzion Ima wrote:
In terms of appliances, not necessarily. Check watts and voltage of where you currently live to where you're moving to, and check the appliances themselves. My U.S. hair dryers didn't work in Israel, but my husband's electric shaver did. Often laptops will work anywhere in the world. I have American phones with a special adapter/voltage converter, but when my SIL bought us phones in Brooklyn, the store sold her Israeli AC adapters, so we didn't need converters.

Compare the cost of shipping furniture versus buying new.

It would probably help to know what country you are moving from and what country you are moving to in order to give better advice.

Generally, the appliances that don't need a converter are designed for travel. I know someone who was used to laptops being fine with either voltage and mistakenly plugged in a desktop with no converter after making aliyah- bye-bye, hard drive.

Electric shavers and travel irons are almost always built to be fine for either, though you may need to flip a switch somewhere on or inside them. Major appliances are never worth moving, IMO, if there's a difference in voltage. Smaller appliances may or may not be worth getting a converter for- depends how attached you are to your sewing machine or mixer and how much more they cost in your country of destination.

Goldie613

Post Thu, Aug 25 2016, 12:37 pm
A few things off hand...

1 - Check the laws of the new country. Do you need to file any legal papers in order to work there, and what do those cost? Also, will there be any type of delay or restrictions because of the paperwork that might mean you"ll be without salary for a while? Or have to work at a lower salary?

2 - Extra babysitters? If you normally trade off kids with a sibling, that option won't be there, so you may need to hire sitters from time to time.

3 - Will you or the kids need to take classes to learn a new language?

4 - Added technology? If you're going to skype (or the equivalent) with family and friends back home, do you need to buy any equipment for that, or spend extra for data or internet fees?

5 - In terms of choosing an apartment, can you find one where you can you walk to shops, library, doctors, etc., or will you need to drive or take public transportation everywhere? If driving = parking, gas, etc. If public, how much does it charge and how often does it run? Or will you get stuck taking cabs a lot of the time? Sometimes it's worth paying a bit more on rent to save on these other costs.

Good luck :-)

water_bear88

Post Thu, Aug 25 2016, 12:44 pm
Also, what do you need to do to transfer your driver's license? Do your degrees transfer? Do you need to pass a licensing exam in order to work?

amother
Firebrick

Post Thu, Aug 25 2016, 3:28 pm
Goldie613 wrote:
A few things off hand...

1 - Check the laws of the new country. Do you need to file any legal papers in order to work there, and what do those cost? Also, will there be any type of delay or restrictions because of the paperwork that might mean you"ll be without salary for a while? Or have to work at a lower salary?

2 - Extra babysitters? If you normally trade off kids with a sibling, that option won't be there, so you may need to hire sitters from time to time.

3 - Will you or the kids need to take classes to learn a new language?

4 - Added technology? If you're going to skype (or the equivalent) with family and friends back home, do you need to buy any equipment for that, or spend extra for data or internet fees?

5 - In terms of choosing an apartment, can you find one where you can you walk to shops, library, doctors, etc., or will you need to drive or take public transportation everywhere? If driving = parking, gas, etc. If public, how much does it charge and how often does it run? Or will you get stuck taking cabs a lot of the time? Sometimes it's worth paying a bit more on rent to save on these other costs.

Good luck :-)

Actually the place we are thinking of moving we will have more friends and family available for babysitting etc.
Internet, phones will all be the same. We don't have a huge problem with visas or work papers. Language we speak both languages already.
Apartment will be the same as we have here work/location wise but will be cheaper.

It is not only about cheaper it is about all around happiness. I don't want to give too many details but I have been wanting to move for a long time.
Financial wise I know that life style in the new place will be better for us. It is small actual moving details like visas and actual moving fees.

amother
Firebrick

Post Thu, Aug 25 2016, 3:29 pm
water_bear88 wrote:
Also, what do you need to do to transfer your driver's license? Do your degrees transfer? Do you need to pass a licensing exam in order to work?

The license may be an issue I will look into that thanks Smile
I am in the middle of getting my degree and switching to a University in the new city shouldn't be too hard. No extra fees necessary.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating