Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Burkini Ban

Machel

Post Fri, Aug 26 2016, 12:06 am
I am by no means an expert on what is happening in Europe and specifically France, but articles like this one concern me as a frum woman. From what I can see there isn't much of a difference between a burkini and a swim dress. The fact that a law is in place (or bring worked on - again not an expert) that essentially bans modest Muslim swim wear is concerning to me. I think it's just a short path From burkini to swim dress/skirt but maybe that is just me. I am curious to hear other thoughts on the topic.

https://www.theguardian.com/wo.....beach

This is one article about the topic. A woman was fined on the beach for wearing a tunic and headscarf on the beach.

Sadie

Post Fri, Aug 26 2016, 12:30 am
I am nauseated by those pictures of that woman being forced to strip in public. Those are pictures of a s*xual assault in progress.

And she's not even wearing a "burkini", it's just a long sleeved shirt. No different than the clothing I wear to sit on the beach. No slippery slope to wait for, French beaches are now off limits to me.

DrMom

Post Fri, Aug 26 2016, 1:17 am
There is already a thread about this, if you want to read what others have said:
http://www.imamother.com/forum.....ight=

amother
Blush

Post Fri, Aug 26 2016, 1:23 am
This sounds like a theocracy on the opposite side of the spectrum. "Secularism" in France sounds like a religion unto itself.

Seriously, how is a bikini-only law different than a full-nijab-only law?

amother
Pewter

Post Fri, Aug 26 2016, 1:47 am
I'm certainly opposed anytime a govt. or it's authority is used to establish female dress standards. That being said, I'm not going to be visiting Cannes anytime in the future. Living in the US has many advantages.

Aylat

Post Fri, Aug 26 2016, 4:57 am
I read the article and I think that's terrible. How is imposing secularism better than imposing religion?

invisiblecircus

Post Sat, Aug 27 2016, 3:43 pm
The ban has been suspended.

DrMom

Post Sun, Aug 28 2016, 2:38 am
invisiblecircus wrote:
The ban has been suspended.

Good. France it totally correct that it needs to fight radical Islamic terror. But forcing Muslim women to strip a the beach is a stupid and cowardly non-solution.

The problem is now that France is fighting religious *symbols* of free expression (all religious symbols -- from kippot to headscarves to crucifix necklaces) rather than having focused on immigration policies 10 years ago.

amother
Bronze

Post Sun, Aug 28 2016, 10:06 am
I think they're going about this the wrong way but I really do feel sorry for France.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics