Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Does your babysitter have a key to your house?

amother
Rose

Post Thu, Aug 25 2016, 10:55 pm
I work outside the house, and I have a babysitter watch my baby.

I do have a backyard and they sit on the swing outside, but I'd love for him to go on walks in his stroller, like I see other kids in the neighborhood doing with their babysitters.

However, I don't want to give my babysitter a key to my house or the combination... Am I paranoid?

What do other people do?

amother
Olive

Post Thu, Aug 25 2016, 11:00 pm
I used to babysit in someone's house I had a copy of the key which was great I always took the kids out but I always rang the bell before using the key

amother
Powderblue

Post Thu, Aug 25 2016, 11:08 pm
I gave one key only and had them use that lock when going out that way I felt there was lock I could use that only we have keys to.

mommy3b2c

Post Fri, Aug 26 2016, 12:00 am
My cleaning lady has my combination. She also watches my kids sometimes. I completely trust her.

Rutabaga

Post Fri, Aug 26 2016, 12:53 am
Think about your question.

You trust your babysitter with your child, but not with a key to your house?

What are you afraid of?

amother
Denim

Post Fri, Aug 26 2016, 1:56 am
What does she do if she has to go to the bathroom or get a drink?

lucky14

Post Fri, Aug 26 2016, 3:14 am
Rutabaga wrote:
Think about your question.

You trust your babysitter with your child, but not with a key to your house?

What are you afraid of?

I was thinking along these same lines. If this isn't someone you trust, why are they watching your kids???

amother
Azure

Post Fri, Aug 26 2016, 6:05 am
I must say this is a really strange question.... What a contradiction

cm

Post Fri, Aug 26 2016, 8:05 am
I'm not the OP, but I think she has a valid concern. Once you give out your key or combination, your home is vulnerable. The babysitter may be completely trustworthy, or maybe she (or someone in her household) isn't.

My4Jewels

Post Fri, Aug 26 2016, 12:33 pm
I have had many babysitters. And I agree that if you are choosing to trust this woman with your most precious possession than you need to be able to trust her completely which Includes your home. Just as you would trust that she would not let someone not trustworthy that she either knows or doesn't know near your child, she would also not allow someone not trustworthy in your house.

If you can't trust her she shouldn't be taking care of your child or working for you.

Stars

Post Fri, Aug 26 2016, 12:52 pm
You don't trust her with your key but you trust her with your kid?? Your child is worth less than the things in your house? Really?

amother
Rose

Post Fri, Aug 26 2016, 1:43 pm
I'm a paranoid person. I don't trust ANYONE completely except for my immediate family.

Obviously, I trust her with my baby! But I also have A LOT of family in the area check in on her at random times, and she knows that.

I am more concerned of someone unscrupulous coming into our house when we are away.

She knows when we leave for yomtov and I don't want her coming by.

And I have to leave my baby... I have no choice right now. Believe me, I wish I didn't have to.

And, I was not asking for judgment. I simply wanted to know what other working women did. Sheesh.

mha3484

Post Fri, Aug 26 2016, 1:46 pm
Can you get a lockbox with a key inside? Then you can always change the combo and the key if something bothers you. Getting a new lock is not the end of the world if you let her go or something makes you nervous.

mommy3b2c

Post Fri, Aug 26 2016, 1:51 pm
amother wrote:
I'm a paranoid person. I don't trust ANYONE completely except for my immediate family.

Obviously, I trust her with my baby! But I also have A LOT of family in the area check in on her at random times, and she knows that.

I am more concerned of someone unscrupulous coming into our house when we are away.

She knows when we leave for yomtov and I don't want her coming by.

And I have to leave my baby... I have no choice right now. Believe me, I wish I didn't have to.

And, I was not asking for judgment. I simply wanted to know what other working women did. Sheesh.

No one is judging you for leaving your baby with a sitter. They are pointing out that it is ridiculous to trust someone with your baby if you don't trust them with your house. If you have even a slight suspicion that she might rob you while you're on vacation, why are you allowing such a person to watch your child?

amother
Mint

Post Fri, Aug 26 2016, 2:09 pm
I feel like I'm missing something. Why does she need to take the key home with her. Just give it to her while your away and she'll leave it when she goes home. If she's so desperate to make a copy of it while you're at work then she's not worth keeping. She'll only have access to your house when she's there.

Miri7

Post Fri, Aug 26 2016, 3:31 pm
My sitter has always had a key to our home. I have even asked her to come by when we are out of town to check on things. I trust her and know the families she's worked with for the last 15 years.

If you are concerned, you can tell her to use a spare key that's kept hanging by the door that she puts back when not in use. Though, if she really wanted to she could take it out to copy.

dv

Post Sun, Aug 28 2016, 8:39 am
When I had a babysitter watching my children she did not want to take the key home with her, but I did have an extra key for her to use during the day...now that I have a cleaning lady I give her the key since I leave the house before she comes...when she stops working for me I take back the key...

rachel6543

Post Sun, Aug 28 2016, 4:36 pm
I use a key lock box with a code. After my cleaning lady lost my house key twice, we now use a lock box. The key lock box has also been helpful when I have had a trusted handy man come over and repair things when no one was home. Used a lock box for a few years now and it has worked out great.

When I have a babysitter, I just use give them an extra key to the house when they are over. The key is returned to me before they leave.

HonesttoGod

Post Sun, Aug 28 2016, 8:30 pm
If you don't want her having akey with her, leave a key on a hook near the door. if she goes out she can take it with her, but it always needs to be hanging there when she gets back.
Personally I don't have a locked door only a number lock and any babysitter or nanny gets the number lock. I have nanny cams, if she came back in when I wasn't there, I would see her and call the police.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics