Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
What religion is this?
Previous  1  2

EnnuiGalore

Post Thu, Aug 25 2016, 1:19 am
Carmen Luna wrote:
Talk about picking and choosing! It sounds like someone wants to do whatever the heck he/she wants all the while cloaking it in "G-d loves me for who I am" nonsense.

Right, because all religions except for Judaism are "nonsense." 🙄

zaq

Post Thu, Aug 25 2016, 8:23 am
Why do you assume that all people link fashion and religion? Mavbe their mode of dress reflected no religion at all, but a penchant for adopting, regardless of source or religious significance, elements of dress that strike their fancy. Maybe they thought topknots and headscarves are cute.

DrMom

Post Thu, Aug 25 2016, 8:59 am
Carmen Luna wrote:
Talk about picking and choosing! It sounds like someone wants to do whatever the heck he/she wants all the while cloaking it in "G-d loves me for who I am" nonsense.

What an obnoxious thing to say.

First of all, maybe those are the only dress restrictions their religion dictates, so they are not "picking and choosing" anything. Why measure them by Jewish standards? I didn't realize this was an religious chumra arms race.

Maybe their religion demands that they eat a 100% vegan diet. "Not mixing meat and milk? Pssssht. What a wimpy religion Judaism is. They can eat meat as long as they don't mix it with milk? Big deal! Talk about picking and choosing."

leah233

Post Thu, Aug 25 2016, 9:13 am
DrMom wrote:
First of all, maybe those are the only dress restrictions their religion dictates, so they are not "picking and choosing" anything. Why measure them by Jewish standards? I didn't realize this was an religious chumra arms race.

As the one who mentioned those religions let me assure they don't have dress requiremnts.

If you feel spiritual covering your hair or wearing tefilin or a tee shirt saying "Peace on Earth"
to them it is all the same: Wonderful.

I know this will be considered obnoxious by some but I don't really understand how a religion that does not believe in (1)reward or punishment or (2)that the higher power they believe in communicated to anyone what he wants (but if you want to believe he did that is a valid belief) can be considered valid even to it's adherents.

I understand the belief. I don't understand it in a religious context.

Last edited by leah233 on Thu, Aug 25 2016, 9:15 am; edited 2 times in total

watergirl

Post Thu, Aug 25 2016, 9:14 am
Carmen Luna wrote:

Btw, Gd loves me for who I am, and you too. He also loves everyone else, even yidden who dont know or care about a darn thing in the Torah. Its not non nonsense. He loves those that pick and choose (we all pick and choose, when it comes down to it). He loves everyone.

greenfire

Post Thu, Aug 25 2016, 10:11 am
this is the way god made me

EnnuiGalore

Post Thu, Aug 25 2016, 7:28 pm
zaq wrote:
Why do you assume that all people link fashion and religion? Mavbe their mode of dress reflected no religion at all, but a penchant for adopting, regardless of source or religious significance, elements of dress that strike their fancy. Maybe they thought topknots and headscarves are cute.

I'm pretty sure it had a religious connection because there was more than one family in this group. And they were at a kids' museum. I have no way to really know for sure, but it seemed intentional. Someone mentioned Sufism.

EnnuiGalore

Post Thu, Aug 25 2016, 7:30 pm
leah233 wrote:
As the one who mentioned those religions let me assure they don't have dress requiremnts.

If you feel spiritual covering your hair or wearing tefilin or a tee shirt saying "Peace on Earth"

I know this will be considered obnoxious by some but I don't really understand how a religion that does not believe in (1)reward or punishment or (2)that the higher power they believe in communicated to anyone what he wants (but if you want to believe he did that is a valid belief) can be considered valid even to it's adherents.

Of "those religions," it's quite possible that some have dress code requirements and others don't.

devo1982

Post Thu, Aug 25 2016, 10:34 pm
Definitely white Sikhs. They exist, but they dress differently than South Asian Sikhs.

You'll often see them wearing white, and the women wear turbans just as the men do, which is not normative practice in South Asia. However, it makes sense to me that they would, because Sikhism is a religion founded on the idea of gender equality - it's why men and women have the same names, for instance, with a second name to denote whether they are a man or a woman. I don't know why American Sikhs gravitate towards white, but I'm sure there's a reason.

DrMom

Post Thu, Aug 25 2016, 11:47 pm
leah233 wrote:

I don't understand what you are trying to say.

Carmen Luna

Post Fri, Aug 26 2016, 12:42 am
DrMom wrote:

Well I do. I apologize if Im not as enlightened and with it as you are and still believe religion is more than just sniffing crack and wearing peace necklaces.

tichellady

Post Fri, Aug 26 2016, 12:51 am
Carmen Luna wrote:
Well I do. I apologize if Im not as enlightened and with it as you are and still believe religion is more than just sniffing crack and wearing peace necklaces.

That's what religion is to you. Religion means different things to different people- it would be surprising if the whole world felt the same way About such a confusing topic. I also don't think anyone out there will say that their religion is sniffing crack and wearing peace necklaces- just like I would be offended if someone defined Judaism as drinking wine ( something we do a lot for our rituals) and wearing wigs. What do you think of the seven Noachide laws? They don't seem too overwhelming to me- would you consider Noachides lacking because they don't have that much to do or believe?

DrMom

Post Fri, Aug 26 2016, 1:30 am
Carmen Luna wrote:

Please do not put words in my mouth. Sniffing crack? Where did that come from? (I think crack is meant to be smoked, not sniffed... but I digress.)

All we know about the people the OP saw is that they wore some sort of turbans and what the OP describes as "hippy clothes."

Based on absolutely no information, you then made all sorts of sneering comments about their (still unknown) belief system because you assume it does not follow the same mitzvot-driven paradigm that Judaism does.

You have no idea who these people are or what they believe, but your immediate instinct is to attack them for being shallow and stupid. Why?

zaq

Post Fri, Aug 26 2016, 9:04 am
DrMom wrote:

Based on absolutely no information, you then made all sorts of sneering comments about their (still unknown) belief system because you assume it does not follow the same mitzvot-driven paradigm that Judaism does.

You have no idea who these people are or what they believe, but your immediate instinct is to attack them for being shallow and stupid. Why?

Insecure people and those with feelings of inferiority often try to boost their self-esteem by disparaging others, not understanding that what makes a person look great is gracious treatment of the opposition, not Donald Trump-ing it. I suspect that this woman is insecure and ambivalent about her Yiddishkeit and needs to disparage all other religions to bolster her confidence in her own.

And we still don't know that what she was seeing was actually a religious group. Not that it matters. Her attitude is ugly, and Avraham Avinu would be ashamed.

leah233

Post Fri, Aug 26 2016, 1:54 pm
DrMom wrote:

If a religious group doesn't believe that the creator ever communicated anything to them and doesn't believe there are consequences to following or not following what the creator wants, why do they consider themselves to be a religious group rather than a philosophical one? With what are they a religion?

bluebird

Post Fri, Aug 26 2016, 2:17 pm
What you're missing is that there is a difference in secular society between religion and spirituality. I take some issues with spirituality because it can be appropriating other cultures by picking and choosing from their religions, especially "Eastern" and Native American religions, but people's motives are usually good. If they're following the noachide laws, what's the problem and why does it matter that they're not following an organized religion?

I would like to point out that Sikhism is an established, organized religion, not picking and choosing, and that white converts who are adherents are certainly no less devoted than people born into it. Sikhs are monotheists with a strong moral code and devotion to their version of deity. They prohibit idolatry. Honestly, it seems to me like a religion that is very compatible with the noachide laws and is less problematic than xtianity. Nothing wrong with gentiles adhering to it.

Kugglegirl

Post Sun, Aug 28 2016, 8:30 am
Interestingly, this just came up in my FB feed- about Sikhs & how they look.

http://www.takepart.com/photos.....fficy
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics