Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Bookcases Lakewood

L K

Post Tue, Aug 23 2016, 11:24 pm
I retired my beaten-up miserable-looking bookcases to the playroom and am looking for replacement.

Definitely not looking to spend a fortune in a fancy store. Looking for quality, more or less decent style and reasonable price. It doesn't have to be fancy and regal looking but not too "warehouse-y" either. So far I've found only recommendations for ikea Billy but I had one and it wasn't super stable, or heavy-duty. Dunno, maybe we abused it...

Any ideas?

L K

Post Thu, Aug 25 2016, 1:40 pm
Bump

sky

Post Thu, Aug 25 2016, 2:06 pm
I've seen people use the Staples book cases and they look very nice, the style with molding across the top - but need extra shelf support of the shelves will bend.

Most "non-Jewish" book cases are not built to hold the extra heavy sefarim we typically put on (I have a very old solid antique piece, and it cannot hold sefarim without support). Its pretty simple to reinforce the shelves. My DH has done by just putting extra pieces between the shelves for extra support - it was pretty simple - Something like #2 - http://www.wikihow.com/Reinfor.....Shelf But because of how it was built it is hidden so we didn't have to paint, we didn't nail it, just wedged it in tightly.

Chayalle

Post Thu, Aug 25 2016, 3:02 pm
I got bookcases from Kaisman and have been happy with them.

gibberish

Post Thu, Aug 25 2016, 3:14 pm
Chayalle wrote:
I got bookcases from Kaisman and have been happy with them.

Same here

lfab

Post Thu, Aug 25 2016, 5:06 pm
http://www.staples.com/Sauder-.....82969

We have these bookcases from staples for over 8 years now and they have held up very nicely. They look nice and are pretty sturdy. My husband keeps his heavy seforim on them and the shelves really have not bent out of shape at all (though I think we might have flipped the shelves twice which might have helped). Definitely worth it for the price we paid. The only complaint I would have is that the back is just a sheet of thin particle board. Over the years my kids have pushed the seforim back against it enough that it is beginning to pop off. If you have the patience it might be worth getting a large piece of wood cut to size and secure that onto the back instead so it's a little sturdier and the back won't pop off.

L K

Post Fri, Aug 26 2016, 12:09 am
Sky, this is such a brilliant way of reinforcing shelves, so simple yet if never think of it.

Chayalle and gibberish, thanks, I'll check it out.

Lfab, thank you for the link. Do you keep the bottom shelves open? What do you keep on them?

JoyInTheMorning

Post Mon, Aug 29 2016, 6:57 am
IKEA Hemnes bookcases are made of solid wood and can therefore support very heavy sefarim. They are around twice what IKEA Billy bookcases are, which means that they are still much, much cheaper than anything you'll get at a furniture store that caters to frum Jews. A disadvantage of Hemnes is that not all shelves are adjustable, but I find there's enough flexibility, especially if I have sets of the tall volumes (Talmud Bavli, Talmud Yerushalmi, Tur, Shulchan Aruch) in the same bookcase as sets of the short volumes (Chumash, etc.).

News flash: People other than religious Jews have heavy books, too. I'm a researcher / academic and I have plenty of heavy secular books. So do my colleagues. When I visit other researchers' homes/offices, they mostly have Billy bookcases, and they're holding up just fine.

JoyInTheMorning

Post Mon, Aug 29 2016, 6:59 am
Also, you want to anchor all bookcases to the wall, wherever you buy them.

amother
Taupe

Post Thu, Feb 27 2020, 11:19 am
Anyone have Kaisman’s number ? Also how does his stuff compare with Seleqt?

Sebastian

Post Thu, Feb 27 2020, 12:40 pm
Affordablewoodbookcases.com

amother
Burgundy

Post Thu, Feb 27 2020, 2:19 pm
I have the Ikea Billy, 3 of them in a row, with the glass doors added to the one in the middle. It looks gorgeous, is good quality and no one believes that it's Ikea! We changed out the door pulls so it looks better.
I know you said yours weren't sturdy, but they are definitely better quality than anything you'll get for close to that price.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics